Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Iron sights technique #143648 04/08/2014 9:22 AM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Yall forgive a silly question please, but I've installed a One Hole rear sight on my SBHH along with a fiber optic front sight. I was surprised at how much that front sight glows. Yesterday evening was very overcast, and even past legal time, I could still see the front sight fairly easy. My question is, do you shoot with both eyes open using this setup? I'd practiced with both eyes using my FF3, and with the Ultradot, and at last light, the target picture is much better using both eyes with this iron sight setup. Is this the correct method? Ignore the rear, front sight is clear focus, target sorta fuzzy? I didn't get to shoot last night, as I live near too many neighbors, but was just test driving the sights in evening light. Will report on accuracy and group sizes later.

Re: Iron sights technique [Re: Boot] #143651 04/08/2014 10:16 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
yes. to quote a police hand gun trainer you should be able to see a blackfly fart on the front sight.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Iron sights technique [Re: bluecow] #143658 04/08/2014 1:54 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Boot,

The fuzzy rear is standard technique with all irons. With anything in the back that is circular like an aperture, the theory is that your eye will automatically center the dot through the rear "naturally", as a physiological thing. let the aiming eye through the sight do its thing, and the other eye to open the entire field of view. With both eyes open, it seems to be easier to adjust your vision back and forth between the sight and target to make adjustments.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod