Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
9mm fallow doe hunt video by silent sniper #149592 09/13/2014 4:22 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
A few months ago, silent sniper posted this video of his girlfriend hunting fallow deer with a 9mm. While we here on the HHM forums often discuss such things as minimum/appropriate calibers and debate the use of jacketed vs. hard cast bullets for various game, this video exemplifies what matters most: shot placement. Silent sniper never posted this video to this forum, so I've taken the liberty of doing so.

Originally Posted By: silent sniper
Hey guys I am very excited to show this off to everyone. For christmas I booked my girlfriend a fallow doe hunt at Salt Creek Hunting Preserve in Ohio. She has successfully hunted squirrels and groundhogs but has never been able to connect with a deer. So I figured an off season fallow doe hunt would be fun.

To make things even more interesting my girlfriend was dead set on using her Ruger P95 9mm for the fallow. I was a bit apprehensive to say the least, as most people consider a 9mm to light for big game. I agreed that if she was consistently able to keep her shots in the size of a paper plate than she could use it, otherwise she had to use the rifle. After a good bit of practice she was able to keep her shots centered enough that I agreed she could use it. Next we started looking for the proper hunting bullet for the job. I usually roll my own but not having 9mm reloading supplies I was stuck with factory loads. I chose the Hornady 147 grain XTP as our medicine for the fallow doe. These factory loads proved to shoot very accurately out of the P95; well enough to keep shots close to center out to 75 yards.

Weeks went by and before we knew it it was the day of our hunt. We woke up early and made the 3 hr drive to Salt Creek Hunting Preserve. This was my second time there and I really enjoy the place. Nice people and good mountainous terrain. You can even hunt unguided which is a nice addition I think. We got a late start but found the game immediately. We spent a few hours walking around and videoing wildlife.

We were walking around enjoying the weather when the guide pointed out a sly fallow doe in the distance. We quickly went into hunting mode. We snuck down and got in position and waited. The doe started our way. She closed the distance to 40 yards when my girlfriend let the first shot go. It hit her behind the shoulder and the wounded doe ran a few yards and stopped. A beautiful 45 yard neck shot sealed the deal on my girlfriends first big game animal.

She was very happy and is already asking about when we can go back. Looks like my tax refund will be going on a deposit for another fallow. The guides were very impressed and said she is one of the very few people to successfully harvest a fallow doe with a handgun at the preserve. I am very proud of her and I cant wait to go back. The XTP did an impressive job with good penetration and large sized holes. It busted a rib in half before traveling throughout the chest of the doe. It was a great time and I hope you guys enjoy as well. Cheers SS.

Here's a link to the video she put together from our trip to the hunting preserve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcBqiKyXX7s

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: 9mm fallow doe hunt video by silent sniper [Re: Chance Weldon] #150100 09/28/2014 12:40 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
the load did the job

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod