Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: Whitworth] #157795 03/30/2015 1:09 AM
Odin Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Gentlemen, thank you for all your thoughts and input here. I would have stopped back in earlier, but Thor had me fending off attackers all weekend. So the seven-year-old got some daddy time and my little inquiry got a bit of neglect…

James, thanks for piping up. As one of the forum’s most diehard FA fanatics (Ken is probably the other), it’s good to hear why you are so steadfastly a FA man.

And Bearbait, thank for chiming in with some real world FA experience. I heard a million times that you simply can’t get one dirty and expect it to work. The dust likes to blow around here too, so it’s good to know that some of the wailing might be just so much internet hype.

It’s also nice to know that many of the concerns with Freedom Arms in the field - bullet jump and broken springs in particular - are things that owners simply account for and deal with (load right, carry extra parts).

As far as reliability concerns from bullet pull. I’ll never redline a 475L. Never. But I’ve got a young son and soon enough he’ll be a young man… and sometimes young men just like to push the pedal, for no other reason than the fact that it’s there for the pushin’. So it's something to consider, at least fundamentally.

But all that being said, Whit makes a very strong argument toward sticking with the BFR and getting it customized. The two biggies in my mind are the legendary reliability of the Blackhawk lockwork (broken springs and firing pins, really??) and the Transfer Bar.

Even so, it’s still not an easy decision to make. Configured the same, the FA will always be lighter than an equally appointed BFR. Probably in the neighborhood of a quarter pound or so. A quarter pound less would be nicer for days long carry. A quarter pound more for day long shooting.

For sure and certain the FA83 wins for looks in my mind. I wish someone could figure something to do with that big fat BFR flattop and really wish a hunter-length Ruger ERH would fit on the BFR too. But at my age you begin to realize that in truth, looks don’t mean sh!t. And it’s a dead heat at the target. And that’s where it truly counts.

So I guess there really is no “right” answer. And I guess I’ll just have to chew on it a bit longer. Right now I’m leaning toward customizing my BFR. Then again, if the right FA rolls around…

Odin
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: Odin] #157799 03/30/2015 10:03 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Odin, I try to assess things without emotion attached. I own and have owned both revolvers in question. I believe that gives me a good foundation from which to be critical. I think we've all put up some compelling points.

That said, you already own the BFR, correct? A custom grip and grip frame mods from JRH will set you back $325.00. Tuning it should cost you another $100.00 or so and you are done. Nothing else to do unless you really want a shorter barrel or something else. For a minimum cash outlay, you are already there. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: Whitworth] #157803 03/30/2015 12:53 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

I own 7 FA-83 revolvers and a BFR in 500 JRH. Grizzly Ammo used the BFR in 500 JRH to test their factory load in 500 JRH. The owner told me that the BFR was the most accurate revolver that he has ever fired and he owns many Freedom Arms revolvers, but that was the first BFR that he had used.

Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #157806 03/30/2015 2:49 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Whit, never owned or shot a BFR and really don`t care about them... I`am sure they are fine revolvers and maybe if I had purchased a BFR before a Freedom I might be saying the opposite of above however, with all the animals I have cleanly taken with my Freedom handguns it really does not matter....

Do you not think you could have cleany killed those critters with say , Ruger,Smith&Wesson,Colt,Dan Wesson,Bfr,or alot of others? A firearm is a tool.Choosing one is a personal preference.Blackhawk,Mac,Snap-on,Craftsmen all are tools that do a job,which brand you buy is a personal preference but all will get the job done.I think you are a good shot and put yourself in places to kill critters I do not believe because you had the FA is the only reason they died.jmo

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: jwp475] #157807 03/30/2015 3:56 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Odin,

I'll provide a different perspective and one that has directed me in my purchases.

Disclaimer - I have not owned nor shot a BFR, but having a "couple" FA's blossom into the double digits (gulp), I have a fair knowledge of their platforms and product line
\:\)

Fit, finish and accuracy are outstanding. And none of them are safe queens. No, I haven't sold any of my Smiths, DWs, or Rugers, but when it comes to grabbing the most accurate wheelguns in my safe, across the board, they wear the stamp from Wyoming. And despite giving all a heavy dose of NC and SC swamp mud and humidity, plus the yearly Texas grit and grime, no failures. Now if you're a Gunbroker junky like me, you've probably noticed that the used FA market has been creeping steadily north in price over the last few years. So, even when I am on a self-imposed spending freeze, if I find a good deal on a used FA, I buy it. The appreciation on the used guns has been fairly substantial, and I would venture to guess that if you buy right, you'll get your money back out of it and perhaps then some, if or when you decide to sell. The mods on the BFR (or any customization of any factory gun for that matter), less so...but, as my current "inventory" suggests, I'm not in selling phase
;\)

But all in all, you're in a good position. Your choices are 2 of the most accurate big bore hammers out there. Sounds like you can't lose either way

Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: SChunter] #157809 03/30/2015 6:05 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Well said Durwood.... Just reading the field experience of schunter, bearbait and myself with FA`s SA`s I cannot find any evidence that they are any less of a handgun compared to other makes. Sure things happen... Three weeks before my first hunt in Africa the firing pin broke on my early model 454. These guns did not have the removable firing pin bushing and I sent it back to FA`s to be drilled,tapped and returned in 3 day`s. Another pin broke on my FA`s 357 while hunting at the YO. Ray Garza gave me a spare and it was fixed in 5 minutes.
End of problem..... What I don`t want to get into here is a "mine is better then yours" discussion which is where this seems to be going. So for my money I will continue to buy FA`s, not because I have anything against any other make handgun but because that`s the gun I like. If you like BFR then all the power to you and God bless your children but I like FA.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: SChunter] #157810 03/30/2015 6:17 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: SChunter
The mods on the BFR (or any customization of any factory gun for that matter), less so...

That's outdated conventional wisdom that just doesn't hold true any more. If you watch the comings and goings of the used custom revolver market, nobody is losing any money on them. The gunsmiths that build them have very well deserved reputations and people know what they're paying for. You buy a new FA and use it for a year, you're going to lose money on it. You commission a custom gun and use it for a year, you won't lose a dime.

Apart from that, if you've never owned a true custom revolver from a talented gunsmith, you don't know what you're missing. Make no mistake, even if you have a passel of FA's, you ARE missing something. There are very good reasons why I have a bunch of custom guns and not one FA. Just as there are very good reasons why I sent a 50th anniversary Blackhawk off to become a .500JRH, rather than ordering a new FA .500WE. Hell, I could've bought two for what I'll have in the Ruger but I wouldn't have gotten exactly what I wanted either. I wouldn't have it any other way. Do I think the finished product will take a backseat to an FA in any regard? Not hardly.

Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: Craig44] #157813 03/30/2015 8:30 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Craig44
You buy a new FA and use it for a year, you're going to lose money on it. You commission a custom gun and use it for a year, you won't lose a dime.

Completely agree on the new product depreciation - and you'll notice the OP was discussing purchasing a used FA versus changing up his BFR, not a commissioned custom build on a Ruger or other platform.

About not losing a dime on the custom builds, that usually happens in the case of a Bowen, Linebaugh, Harton (and yes Huntington) or similar gunsmith with a long (1 year-plus) wait time where a buyer will absorb any depreciation costs to avoid the wait on a specific custom rig. Want to have your barrel chopped and then have the next buyer pay entirely for it? Not too likely.

Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: SChunter] #157834 03/31/2015 3:20 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

I have never paid more than 1200 dollars for a Freedom even Premier grades as I purchased all 7 used. So they do depreciate. In my experience a BFR can be purchased new and upgraded in sights, grip frame mods and Finnish for much less than a new FA-83. Also I have never heard of a BFR firing pin breaking, the same can not be said of the FA.

Last edited by jwp475; 03/31/2015 3:21 PM.
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: jwp475] #157843 04/01/2015 11:55 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
The firing pin issue was a bad run of pins. Not a long standing issue. At least they can be changed out in seconds. Have one go bad on a ruger and change that one out quickly

I have drug my FAs through mud and muck for years, never a hiccup and way more accurate than I am. Honestly, I've never bought a bfr, I've used them but never did buy one. Couldn't get past the look of them personally. Very square and blocky to my eye but some love them. They are good guns or they wouldn't still be around, that much is obvious. But, I've been sing the FAs for so long, it's just my preference.

I don't remember where you are in KS but if anywhere near KC, or remind me where you are and I would be happy to stop while I'm traveling all over and you can shoot my FA 475 next to your bfr and make a decision that way. That's really the only way to decide is to have them side by side. Other than that and you get a lot of the I like mine comments which is great but since guns handling/shooting characteristics are so dependent on the shooter and the shooters style for perceived comfort and accuracy, you need to have them both to tell what you like the best. Everyone loves the Bisley, I personally have spent a LOAD of money on bisley so over the years. I can not for the life of me make myself like that grip frame. The FA handles heavy recoil much better than the Bisley to me. Others will see completely opposite. Just a thought if you have time to shoot one say and aren't in a big hurry. Never know, lately with my traveling, I could pass through tomorrow

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: GlennS] #157894 04/03/2015 3:40 AM
Odin Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: GlennS
...I don't remember where you are in KS but if anywhere near KC, or remind me where you are and I would be happy to stop while I'm traveling all over and you can shoot my FA 475 next to your bfr and make a decision that way. That's really the only way to decide is to have them side by side. ...

Sir, you are a gentleman and an enabler of the highest order. Had I not just signed the purchase agreement on a new house this week, I'd be all over your offer in a heartbeat. Heck, I'd even drive out to KC to do it! (I'm in Salina, BTW). As is, we're gonna sit tight for a bit while all the dollars and cents shake out (of my pockets!). We didn't really figure it would happen this fast, but boom, we're buying a house! Looks like all the fun stuff will sit on the back burner for a while.

Many thanks to you,
Rod

Last edited by Odin; 04/03/2015 3:44 AM.

Odin
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: Odin] #157915 04/04/2015 3:10 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
Congratulations on the house! Next time I'm in Salina, I'll still let you fling as much as you want from it. Then you will know when you get ready
;\)

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: GlennS] #157923 04/05/2015 12:08 AM
Odin Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: GlennS
Congratulations on the house! Next time I'm in Salina, I'll still let you fling as much as you want from it. Then you will know when you get ready
;\)

Odin
Re: Custom Work, or FA? [Re: Odin] #158036 04/09/2015 8:52 PM
briarhopper Offline
addict
addict
Odin,

I am south of Emporia about 20 miles on 99, and while I do not have a FA 475 (insert emoticon with shedding tear here!), I do have a FA83 in the lowly ol' .454 that I would be happy to join you with and burn some powder, should you be in the area.

If it were supposed to be easy, they'd have sent my little sister to do it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod