Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New toy need advice #158759 05/06/2015 12:29 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
A couple weeks ago I pulled my old Contender out of the drawer. I had sold off all my Contender stuff a while back and pretty much went to revolvers except for my one Encore with a 300 Win Mag barrel for long range hunting. The only barrel I had for the contender is a 10" 44Mag/44shotshell barrel I let my daughter shoot rattlers with.

After handling the gun for a bit I decided it was time to bring it out of retirement so I found a nice 357 Herrett barrel with dies and forend on Gunbroker for a reasonable price so I picked it up. This is one caliber I have no experience with. I've already fireformed some brass and trimmed part of it. I have some 200gr Hornady pointed soft points on the way but I was also thinking about the Hornady Leverevolution bullets in 140gr.

I wanted to see if anyone has loaded the 140's in the Herrett and also if anyone had ever run any of the .358 cal rifle bullets in one. I'll primarily use this for deer although under the right conditions I might use it on elk but only with a premium bullet like the A Frame or Barnes.
Thanks for any input,
Rod

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: New toy need advice [Re: wapitirod] #158775 05/06/2015 10:22 PM
FAH Offline
I had a .357 Herrett and about 30 years ago I shot a Merino ram from about 110 yards.
The bullet I used was the 140 gr, Speer JHP, can't remember the powder charge. The ram was perched on a rock, when the bullet hit him just behind the shoulder, he leaped off and did a summersault and landed on his back all four legs in the air, dead right where he lay. The bullet went right through, exit wound the size of a half dollar.
Wouldn't use that bullet on anything large like elk, but wouldn't hesitate on deer.
Good luck.

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: New toy need advice [Re: FAH] #160770 07/20/2015 1:55 AM
daywolf Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I have a 15" bull bbl, it like the 180-200 grainers. I think it was IMR 3031,or IMR 4227 I used. Can't remember the charge weight though. It shot very well. I tried some 158 grain hps that were good too! Good luck!

FREEDOM No words spoken holds greater hope demands greater sacrifice needs more to be loved bless more the giver curse more the destroyer or came closer to being Gods will on earth WORTH FIGHTING FOR!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod