Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174682 10/29/2016 7:24 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
 Quote:
The bear was highly agitated and standing within 3 feet of my clients when I decided I could take a shot without endangering them.

Quoted from his own article!

'Nuff said....

That is not all that Phill stated especially in his posts about the charge on 24 hour and AR web sites.

Nuff said

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174699 10/30/2016 1:00 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: jwp475

Phil Shoemaker, killed a charging 900 pound brown bear with a 9mm all body shots with 147 grain hard cast Bullets.

The bear wasn't "charging", he was standing still in front of one of his clients when the shooting started.

Posted on 24 Hour campfire by Phil Shoemaker

458Win Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: AK peninsula
In the past 33 years of living and guiding on the Alaska peninsula from our families homestead I have never had to kill a bear in defense of live or property. DLP as the state refers to it.
Two days ago I was guiding a married couple and we bumped into a bear at close range on our way to the fishing stream. We yelled and it ran but circled around and then charged. The couple were 10 or 12 feet behind me and the bear came out of the brush so close it was within 3 feet of my clients before I could shoot. They both intentionally fell to the ground just before I shot the bear behind the shoulder. It immediately spun and I continued shooting, all the while keeping the position of my clients in perspective. After six quick hits the bear turned and ran 20 yards and died .

We were planning on a quick couple hours of fishing and rather than packing my normal S&W 44 Mtn gun I was packing a S&W 3953 dao auto with 147 gr Buffalo Bore 9mm ammo.

Edited by 458Win (07/23/16)
http://www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads..._S#Post11326672

I didn't make it up that is Phil's own words

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Zee] #174703 10/30/2016 1:45 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Zee
I think we should argue about it.

I think that was just getting to the truth. Thats not an argument! Articles misquote. Editors edit what you write and sometimes screw up important details. What he posted is basically from his own mouth, unless its an email written by hillary clinton. Then its made up by Putin.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: tradmark] #174704 10/30/2016 1:54 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Good Lord.......it was a JOKE!

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Zee] #174708 10/30/2016 4:18 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
So was mine!

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: tradmark] #174709 10/30/2016 4:18 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I took a round about way to bring in hillary here

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: tradmark] #174710 10/30/2016 4:30 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I did pick up on that plug.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Zee] #174712 10/30/2016 12:56 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Don't you go insulting my no good horse by calling it a hillary!

junebug
Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174715 10/30/2016 1:35 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
The bear was highly agitated and standing within 3 feet of my clients when I decided I could take a shot without endangering them.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174716 10/30/2016 1:43 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Quote:

How many times are you going to post this? How many times are you going to ignore his clarifications on web sites? When someone on AR stated that the bear was not charging Phill stated that he knew when a bear charges and that this bear definitely charged.

Do I need to find that post and quote it as well?
Phill is not a professional writer and his words were such as some may take exception in the little short story about the incident. You are proving to be quite obtuse.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174717 10/30/2016 1:52 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
You are proving to be quite obtuse.

Sez the pot to the kettle......

Rod, too.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174718 10/30/2016 2:00 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Quote:
You are proving to be quite obtuse.

Sez the pot to the kettle......

Hope, because I read his posts and his clarification, something you obviously have not done.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174720 10/30/2016 2:07 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Quote:

Not sure where you came up with this but here is the write. Up that Phil wrote for American Hunter

"I have been guiding brown bear hunters and fishermen and bear photographers from our homestead within Becharof National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska for 33 years and have had numerous close encounters with bears. Until now, I have never had to shoot an unwounded bear to protect either myself or clients, but the other week an event occurred and my good fortune changed. When it happened, I was fully aware of what was going on and how big the bear was. I also managed to stay aware of where my clients were, even when the bear was directly between us. The woman I was guiding said that while she did not remember smelling the bear?s breath, it was close enough to her face that it could have bitten her!

I have killed enough bears to know how important shot placement can be, even with large-bore rifles. I was well aware of the limitations of my 9mm pistol, even with Buffalo Bore ammo. I was aiming for a vital area with each shot; because it all took place between 6 and 8 feet, they were not far off. But hitting the head and brain of a highly animated and agitated animal is a difficult shot.

The two photos shown here tell a pretty good story by themselves. The secondary photo (embedded at the bottom of this story) was taken from the point where the charging bear first erupted from the brush. I am on the left and Larry, my fishing client, is on the right. The bear was within 2 feet or less of Larry and his wife when I shot it. You can see the dead bear to the left of Larry. The main photo (embedded to the right) shows Larry and me with the dead bear and shows its size.

Larry and his wife were fishing with me, and because we were going to a small stream I had fished before, which had numerous large male brown bears, I decided to take my Smith & Wesson 3953 DAO 9mm, rather than the S&W 629 .44 Mag. Mountain Gun I have carried for the past 25 years, as the larger boars are usually less of a problem than sows with cubs.

Before we reached the stream, while we were walking through dense brush and tall grass, we heard a growl and deep ?woof? of a bear approximately 6 feet to our right (behind me in the secondary photo). We had been talking loudly but must have startled a sleeping bear. It sounded like it made a movement toward us, and I shouted loudly and the bear ran back through the brush to the right in the photo. Within 15 seconds, we could hear it growling and charging through the dense brush from the opposite side.

I had my pistol out by then, and the bear first appeared from where the photographer in photo No. 2 was standing. It went straight for my clients; Larry and his wife fell backwards in the deep grass. She said the bear?s face was close enough to hers that it could have bitten her!

My first shot was at its neck, and then it began growling and spinning toward the impact. I wanted to hit the head but the bear was moving so fast I simply began shooting each time I could hit a vital area. I hit it six times before it turned to run off, and my seventh shot was into its pelvis area as it ran. When it dropped within 6 feet of the last shot, I checked my pistol and found I had only a single round left in the chamber so decided against walking in and finishing it.

My pistol was loaded with Buffalo Bore 9mm +P Outdoorsman 147-grain FN hard-cast loads that have a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps. I had previously tested, compared and proven such loads with my .357 and .44 mags., and I was convinced they would work."

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthre...at&fpart=17&q=1

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174721 10/30/2016 2:54 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
From what I read of that, the bear had charged them for sure. But as it reads, he was done charging, and was standing still when shots were fired. I think that's what Rod is getting at. The next sentence after the highlighed part says the bear was standing 3' away from the clients, and that's when he felt like be could shoot safely. I don't think he shot while the bear was active in its charge. That's how I read it anyway.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think both sides are right. There was a charge, and the bear was shot afterwards while it was standing in front of the clients. Anyway, off to the range and some more time with the flintlock!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Raptortrapper] #174722 10/30/2016 2:57 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper
From what I read of that, the bear had charged them for sure. But as it reads, he was done charging, and was standing still when shots were fired. I think that's what Rod is getting at. The next sentence after the highlighed part says the bear was standing 3' away from the clients, and that's when he felt like be could shoot safely.

If the bear was no longer charging, then that makes it a bluff charge and with 38 years of experience with these bears I'm sure Phil knows the difference.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174723 10/30/2016 3:04 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Yeah, I agree, and think there is a difference. There is a bluff charge, a charge, and then the physical attack. From what I read, the bear never hurt the clients, so the attack never happened. The bear was shot while it wasn't moving. He had his pistol out as soon as he heard the noise, but didn't fire at that point. Only when there was clearance between the bear and the clients. To me, that says there was no attack. No physical harm to the clients pretty much solidifies it to me. For whatever reason, the bear stopped short of attacking after putting on a seemingly full on charge. Doesn't happen often, but for some reason, I believe that's what happened here.

Just my interpretation. Nothing more. I'm bowing out now.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Raptortrapper] #174724 10/30/2016 3:16 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
From what I read of that, the bear had charged them for sure. But as it reads, he was done charging, and was standing still when shots were fired. I think that's what Rod is getting at. The next sentence after the highlighed part says the bear was standing 3' away from the clients, and that's when he felt like be could shoot safely. I don't think he shot while the bear was active in its charge.

Quote:
From what I read, the bear never hurt the clients, so the attack never happened. The bear was shot while it wasn't moving. He had his pistol out as soon as he heard the noise, but didn't fire at that point. Only when there was clearance between the bear and the clients. To me, that says there was no attack. No physical harm to the clients pretty much solidifies it to me. For whatever reason, the bear stopped short of attacking after putting on a seemingly full on charge. Doesn't happen often, but for some reason, I believe that's what happened here.

Ding, ding, ding. Winner winner, chicken dinner!!!

Rod, too.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174726 10/30/2016 4:27 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Quote:
From what I read of that, the bear had charged them for sure. But as it reads, he was done charging, and was standing still when shots were fired. I think that's what Rod is getting at. The next sentence after the highlighed part says the bear was standing 3' away from the clients, and that's when he felt like be could shoot safely. I don't think he shot while the bear was active in its charge.

Quote:
From what I read, the bear never hurt the clients, so the attack never happened. The bear was shot while it wasn't moving. He had his pistol out as soon as he heard the noise, but didn't fire at that point. Only when there was clearance between the bear and the clients. To me, that says there was no attack. No physical harm to the clients pretty much solidifies it to me. For whatever reason, the bear stopped short of attacking after putting on a seemingly full on charge. Doesn't happen often, but for some reason, I believe that's what happened here.

Ding, ding, ding. Winner winner, chicken dinner!!!

If you aren't bitten or gored it just didn't happen, appears to be the logic here.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174727 10/30/2016 4:50 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: 458Win

Here is another photo showing the distances we were talking about. This is where we were standing and the dead bear can be seen in the background just left of the client

I posted this photo to show exactly how close and thick things were. The bear appeared in full charge from where the photo was taken and both me and the client are standing where we were.

The boar was already in full charge

when he became visible and maybe, just maybe, if I had started spraying bear spray as he erupted he might have changed his mind. Fortunately he was making quite a ruckus on his way toward us so I had my pistol in hand.

And for those who wanted to know about penetration here is a photo showing both the entrance and exit with the bullet still in place. this shot was not well placed as it was too far back and too high, but he was highly agitated and twisting and biting each time I hit him.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11241792/7

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174728 10/30/2016 4:52 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
If you aren't bitten or gored it just didn't happen, appears to be the logic here.

Not entirely, but there were some good points made.

Rod, too.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174729 10/30/2016 5:01 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Quote:

Not entirely, but there were some good points made.

Choosing to focus on Phil's choice of a word in one place only and ignoring not useing that word in multiple posts, being the good point I assume.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174730 10/30/2016 5:03 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Phil Shoemaker, killed a charging 900 pound brown bear with a 9mm all body shots with 147 grain hard cast Bullets.

The bear wasn't "charging", he was standing still in front of one of his clients when the shooting started.

If the bear was not charging, then why wasn't Phil sighted by F&G for shooting bear?

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174731 10/30/2016 5:25 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
This thread has gone a bit off topic, don't y'all think?

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Chance Weldon] #174732 10/30/2016 5:48 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Yeah it has but i liked the part where we got into super troopers. One of my favorite movies

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Chance Weldon] #174733 10/30/2016 6:07 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Quote:

Woods, Trail, and Field

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: tradmark] #174734 10/30/2016 6:57 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
Yeah it has but i liked the part where we got into super troopers. One of my favorite movies

I started to insert my favorite quote and then realized it wouldn't fly. T`was the part where the police addressed the faux bear-fornicator.
;\)

Then there was the chicken reference......

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174739 10/30/2016 8:50 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

I got this reply from Phil,

I havn't written up my story and the one the NRA published was not written by me, although it was written like it was. Scott Olmstead called me after I had written Tim Sundles about how the ammo had performed and asked me a couple questions, which I answered and then I sent him two photos.
It was a fairly accurate report though.

I don't know how many bear charges the guy you are argueing with has ever been involved in but the bear seemed to be agressive when we startled it in the heavy brush, it circled around downwind and then most definately charged !!!! It soundls like the guy is saying that since it had stopped it wasn't charging ? So once it is mauling you the charge has stopped ?

What difference does it make ? A big boar had circled, charged and was literally standing over my clients and highly agitated.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174740 10/30/2016 8:54 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist

If the bear was not charging, then why wasn't Phil sighted by F&G for shooting bear?

Not my concern.

"The bear was highly agitated and standing within 3 feet of my clients when I decided I could take a shot without endangering them."

I don't doubt that there was a charge by a bear at some point but that bear was not charging at the time of the first shot as you continue to suggest. If that 900 pound grizzly had been in the midst of a full on charge (your words) with adrenalin on high and a target it it's sights the end result would have been different, IMO. All three of those people would not have emerged unscathed and if the only man in posession of their "protection" had been in it's path they all may have been killed. They were lucky, very lucky. To suggest otherwise makes no sense.

Meanwhile big game hunting outfitters across the Alaskan frontier are trading in their big bore Guide Guns and 870's for short barreled single stack 9mm pistols........

Rod, too.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Chance Weldon] #174741 10/30/2016 8:57 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
This thread has gone a bit off topic, don't y'all think?

Ya, a little ;-)

Rod, too.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174742 10/30/2016 8:58 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

I'm not afraid to admit when I am wrong, but you are. I had a high regard for you but you have proven me to have been incorrect you are simply obtuse.

The reply I just received from Phil states extremely clear that the bear charged

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174743 10/30/2016 9:25 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Well i guess the guy there was wrong and the implication that posting story was to assert that we would be better off w a 9mm than 45/70 was not made anymore than ernie was saying to pack up your 460's and just use a 357 for long distance handgun hunting. Its just an account of what happened and sparked some good discussions and i for one feel better about it when i hike with my glock 20 stoked with underwood 220's

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: tradmark] #174744 10/30/2016 9:29 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Also, i dont think razor dobbs didnt post his 10mm buff to say ph's should turn in their 458 lotts either. It does, however, give me a good starting point when a ph has doubts about me using a 454 for buff.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174745 10/30/2016 9:34 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Not my concern.

"The bear was highly agitated and standing within 3 feet of my clients when I decided I could take a shot without endangering them."

I don't doubt that there was a charge by a bear at some point but that bear was not charging at the time of the first shot as you continue to suggest. If that 900 pound grizzly had been in the midst of a full on charge (your words) with adrenalin on high and a target it it's sights the end result would have been different, IMO. All three of those people would not have emerged unscathed and if the only man in posession of their "protection" had been in it's path they all may have been killed. They were lucky, very lucky. To suggest otherwise makes no sense.

Meanwhile big game hunting outfitters across the Alaskan frontier are trading in their big bore Guide Guns and 870's for short barreled single stack 9mm pistols........

Not my words Phil's words. Phil said the bear was charging and has 38 years experience with bears.

HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE. This is a pertinent question as to your opinions validity.

Once more the repiy from Phil today,

#4592653 - Today at 12:04 PM Re: Bear With 9mm
458Win Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: AK peninsula
I havn't written up my story and the one the NRA published was not written by me, although it was written like it was. Scott Olmstead called me after I had written Tim Sundles about how the ammo had performed and asked me a couple questions, which I answered and then I sent him two photos.
It was a fairly accurate report though.

I don't know how many bear charges the guy you are argueing with has ever been involved in but the bear seemed to be agressive when we startled it in the heavy brush, it circled around downwind and then most definately charged !!!! It soundls like the guy is saying that since it had stopped it wasn't charging ? So once it is mauling you the charge has stopped ?

What difference does it make ? A big boar had circled, charged and was literally standing over my clients and highly agitated.
http://www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174750 10/30/2016 11:13 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Jwp, if I may... I don't think there is any disagreement with you that the bear charged. Not trying to stir the pot here, but I think it is also clear the bear was standing still when the shots were fired. Both of these "events" happened. I think that's all that is being said. Rod is just talking about the events after the charge. I'm not going to speak for him, but I don't think he is arguing that point. Just "when" the shots were fired. Both of you are correct in the points you are making. Phil's last sentence is what Rod is referring to. The bear was "literally standing over my clients".

Oh yeah, forgot.... I bowed out.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Raptortrapper] #174751 10/30/2016 11:34 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
Don't forget the "highly agitated" words. I think if you read evert thing that he posted, he is minimizing the situation. He implies the adrenaline rush had dissipated and implies that the outcomme would have been different. I have not the experience with bear that Phil has but the experience that I do have leads me to believe the bear lost the whereabouts of the clients when they hit the ground.

Let's. Not forget this post that was rentersted multiple time

Last edited by jwp475; 10/30/2016 11:38 PM.
Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174758 10/31/2016 1:35 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist

Keyword "charging"

The bear was not charging, it was standing when first shot.

Big difference.

Why can you not acknowledge this fact, jwp? That's all I ask. If you just removed the word charging from your post it would be accurate. But as it is written it gives a false impression of the reality of the situation, and therefore is misleading.

Time to get this thread back on track now ;-)

Rod, too.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174760 10/31/2016 1:51 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Keyword "charging"

The bear was not charging, it was standing when first shot.

Big difference.

Why can you not acknowledge this fact, jwp? That's all I ask. If you just removed the word charging from your post it would be accurate. But as it is written it gives a false impression of the reality of the situation, and therefore is misleading.

Time to get this thread back on track now ;-)

Big difference how? Bear was highly agitated and full of adrenaline rush.

Again give your bear experience as to give some credibility to your assertion.

Since you do not answer about your experience with bears ilogic seem to dictate you have none.

The big difference that you claim is to minimize the situation.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: s4s4u] #174761 10/31/2016 1:54 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Quote:

I don't know how many bear charges the guy you are argueing with has ever been involved in but the bear seemed to be agressive when we startled it in the heavy brush, it circled around downwind and then most definately charged !!!! It soundls like the guy is saying that since it had stopped it wasn't charging

s4s4u, keep ignoring these words, they are Phil's words.

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: jwp475] #174762 10/31/2016 1:58 AM
Hoggin Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Choot um

Re: Woods, Trail, and Field [Re: Hoggin] #174765 10/31/2016 2:36 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
So, how bout those World Series games.....

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod