Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Raptortrapper] #164858 10/20/2015 3:18 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
I'll never do a shoulder shot again. Did one this morning about 10:30 on a buck with my 45 Colt.................................................

Never say Never.

\:\/

Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Gregg Richter] #164863 10/20/2015 4:00 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
I'll never do a shoulder shot again. Did one this morning about 10:30 on a buck with my 45 Colt.................................................

Never say Never.

\:\/

Dude, I dont know what you're trying to do here, or what you're getting at, but...NO! I will NEVER do that again. If it happens, it will be a pure accident, and a horrible yet very lucky miss on my part.

You obviously like the shot, and I'm glad it works for ya. But please don't tell me what shots I should or shouldn't write off in my form of hunting. I promise you, I will not use that shot again. I got by for over 20+ years without using a shoulder shot. I'm sure I'll do just fine till the day I die without using it again.

I won't do a neck shot either. I know some guys like it, but I was nervous as heck, and probably shouldn't have taken the shot. Fortunately I was successful with the neck shot that the ranch manager required on a doe last January. But I promise you that shot won't be taken again either. I'm not comfortable with either one, so I'm not gonna do it. The animals I hunt deserve the best of me, and not being confident in my shot placement doesn't qualify.

I've taken plenty of critters the old fashion way, and its worked for me. I don't need to change it. In my opinion, which I believe can be backed up with anatomical facts, I have a MUCH larger margin of error using my normal heart / lung shot. I'm not afraid to admit I'm not as good as most people on this forum with a handgun using open sights, so the bigger margin of error helps my confidence. The buck I shot a couple days ago was pretty close, so I tried the shoulder shot. I hit exactly where I was aiming. Had that shot been 50 yards, I would have done my normal shot placement just because I know my accuracy limitations. My groups start to open up past 25 or 30 yards without a steady rest. At 50 yards, free hand, I can still hit a paper plate, so that's my limit for free hand shooting.

Geez.... Never mind. I shouldn't have to explain myself. I have my reasons why I'll never take those shots again, and that's all I should have to say. And yeah, I'm probably venting a little here cause of still being disgusted with myself for not recovering the deer. But seriously, when I say I'm never gonna use a shot again, I really do mean "never". I don't use that word often, but when I do, I mean it.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 10/20/2015 4:08 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Raptortrapper] #164866 10/20/2015 10:36 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Paul, you're getting defensive. I understand that you're upset. But 20 years of hunting without losing an animal? It was bound to happen at some point. Again, if you hunt enough, you are inevitably going to lose an animal at some point in time. You flubbed the shot and immediately are ready to write it off. The high shoulder is a great anchoring shot, especially if you hunt with hard cast bullets. Everyone here has been rooting for you to locate your deer, but they will offer constructive criticism as well. That is the honesty that folks don't often like to face that you will get here. It's not a bad thing. However, you are ready to quit on a great shot after meeting one, singular failure. I can't force you to do anything, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to get back up on that horse that bucked you off....... JMHO. Take it for what it's worth.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Whitworth] #164870 10/20/2015 12:11 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hate you didn't find your critter, but 2#$% happens. No need to get defensive but several have given you support and constructive criticism and they are not attacking. Reguardless of bullet choice several have reported dead critters with the shoulder shots. Like someone else said there are three shoulder shots and all have different results. Must have been some quartering, cause I know that bullet will bust both shoulders and keep on getting it. And any critter with no front running gear ain't going far. Good luck on the rest of this years hunting ventures.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: cottonstalk] #164871 10/20/2015 12:26 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Yeah I understand guys. Gregg, my apologies for getting a bit wound up last night. I guess being told "never say never" was the straw that broke the camels back.

As of right now, I still don't plan on using the shot ever again. I understand it is a great shot when done properly, but I just don't believe it is for me.

Sorry for coming undone. Just been a bad few days.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Raptortrapper] #164872 10/20/2015 2:51 PM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
Just keep shooting them in the heart/lungs and keep eating the front end. Sucks that ya lost one. I've been there and you'll get back at it eventually.

Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Raptortrapper] #164873 10/20/2015 3:39 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Raptor,
I would rather a guy be conscientious about his hunting than a guy who doesn't care one way or the other.
I had a hard time back in the 80's with 3x3 Muley with a 7TCU Contender. Never used the TCU again for game-This was pre-rangefinder days too. Had a difficult time.
Stepped up to a 7-08 XP after that.
It will get better.
You have beat yourself up more than enough.
Being human sucks sometimes, but once you are able to to get away from this a little bit and regain perspective it will get better.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Raptortrapper] #164876 10/20/2015 4:48 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yeah I understand guys. Gregg, my apologies for getting a bit wound up last night. I guess being told "never say never" was the straw that broke the camels back. ..........................

It's OK Paul, let's just move on.

Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Gregg Richter] #164877 10/20/2015 5:11 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
lost a few myself with bow. what gets me is it seems we all know exactly where we hit the animal and blame the bullet/broadhead for something when in fact if the animal is lost we have absolutely zero evidence we hit it where we thought. you see it in reviews of this bullet and that boradhead all the time. "ill never use these again! I shot a deer right in the lungs and lost it, the bullet didnt penetrate the ribs!" well how do you know it didnt go though the ribs? no animal no solid proof. this was not directed at anyone here. sounds like you worked your butt off looking. all you could do man. i lost sleep over it waiting for the sun to come back up and get back out there looking. keep your head on straight and finish out the season on a high note.

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Raptortrapper] #164878 10/20/2015 5:17 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'll be searching all day today instead of hunting. Might get back to hunting tomorrow, but not if I feel like I haven't covered everything.

To the mods, or more specifically, to Gary: I know this thread is probably something that some guys on here would rather not have posted for the world to see. A guy injures a deer, and can't recover it.... But its life. It happens to every hunter. If it hasn't happened to you, you're either lying, or you haven't hunted long enough. Took 20+ years to happen to me, and it sucks. If this thread needs deleted, I completely understand.

The internet is full of experts, but very few share their learning curve.

Back to searching....

I wrote and had published an article about a black bear I once lost despite a very concerted effort to recover the animal. I believe there is always something to learn from each and every hunt. But it really does happen sometimes, and I think you have beat yourself up enough and you made every effort to right your situation. Get back on that horse!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Ya'll can have it. [Re: Gregg Richter] #164879 10/20/2015 5:46 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
Yeah I understand guys. Gregg, my apologies for getting a bit wound up last night. I guess being told "never say never" was the straw that broke the camels back. ..........................

It's OK Paul, let's just move on.

Agreed. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod