Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First deer with the MOA Maximum! #167947 12/29/2015 3:11 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
I've taken two antelope with my MOA Maximum SP in .308 Winchester and 168gr Hornady A-Max bullets. But, I'd never taken a whitetail deer with it until yesterday evening. Went out to the field I oft hunt and took two handguns with me. One, the 6" Ruger GP-100 w/158gr XTP bullets and 2x Weaver for any close work and the other my 14" MOA Maximum in .308 Winchester w/168gr Hornady A-Max bullets and 2-7x Burris for anything further out. Set up in a little different spot this time, trying to edge my chances of getting a shot with the .357 Mag at a little closer distance. Crawled into a tall patch of grass and built up my hide.

As the evening progressed, I saw a unique buck enter the field to the North of me at about 275 yards. He had a small 3 point rack on his right side and a tall 4 point rack on his left that rose high, then arched over to the right like it wanted to touch the other rack. Thought he looked kinda cool. So, I swapped the Ruger for the MOA and waited to see if he would come any closer and present a better shot.

Where he was, he was slightly uphill and over a rise so the wheat and clover obscured most of his body. The majority of the time, I could only see his head and neck when he raised it to look around. Of course, had I been sitting where I was the last time I hunted this field about a week ago and took a doe with my .260 Remington..............it'd be a chip shot. But, that's how things go. So, I waited and bleated at him with my voice. And, every time I did, he raised his head and looked my way but, wouldn't come closer. After what seemed an eternity, he finally started heading my way!!! At an angle, of course and I waited for the chance at a shot.

But, he had different plans. Seems my bleating at him and his subsequent looking my way caused him to notice some does behind me in a neighbors field about 300 yards away. He took off at run and jumped the fence into the East pasture. Skirting around my position, he dropped down into a low spot where I lost sight of him. When I finally found him again, he was to my SE and.................further away from the truck............in a somewhat rugged portion of the field. I considered shooting.........but, with a broken foot.............I wasn't going to haul him outa there with any ease. I let him go.

Then, I noticed a doe and yearling crossing the East pasture from the South. But again, it's a rugged pasture with multiple tiers (angling uphill towards me) and bumpy ground littered with large clumps of grass. Not an easy location for a game cart and one leg to haul a deer out of. Another pass.

The sun set behind me with a beautiful show.

I kept the Ruger in my lap, still hoping that a deer would pass by at close range.

Finally, way off to the East, I saw a herd of deer enter the pasture and head my way. The clock was ticking. Would they make it to me in time?!? This is always the case with this spot. The majority of the deer don't enter the field until the VERY last bit of light. I waited and watched the clock. Willing them to hurry up get here before legal shooting time was up.

Finally, they made it and one by one, the does and yearlings started jumping the fence into the field. I scanned the herd looking for the largest doe. Then looked across the fence to the East pasture as there were still some deer over there that hadn't crossed the fence yet. That's when I saw him. A buck!

He was too far away and it was too dark to count points with the 7x scope, but he seemed decent enough. He was chasing a doe like a quarter horse. Trying to cut her off from entering the field. Running my way down the fence, I followed him in the scope, hoping he would come to a stop and give me a quartering towards shot at a little over 100 yards. Wasn't going to happen. The doe made an offensive maneuver to try and get around him. She shucked.........he jived and did an about face to counter her move. Swapping ends, he was now running away from me at a steep angle trying to get in front of the doe again. Crap!!!

It's getting dark........I have 2 minutes of shooting light left..........the buck is running further away as we speak.............training kicked in.

I panned the BOG-Pod PSR to my left. Like shooting at a flying dove, I passed the buck through the scope until I had the lead that felt natural as he ran.

BOOM!

Here is the funny part. I didn't "think" about pulling the trigger. Just like bird hunting.............you don't "think" about your lead. When it looks right, you shoot. As soon as the gun went off I thought, "Holy crap! I can't believe I shot!" It was one of those moments when, if you think to much............you'll pass.

As soon as the gun went off, I heard the "POP!" of the bullet impacting. Why? Because like a dummy, I forgot to push my ear plugs all the way in my ears in the heat of the situation. Oh well.

Coming out of the minimal recoil, I relocate the buck in the scope and see him making his death run. Tail clamped firmly to his body, he runs faster and faster..........lower and lower........until, like a plane crashing..........he dives into the ground and flips.

That's the best shot I've ever made with a handgun. The distance wasn't great but, all the factors combined (fading light, running deer, angle of shot, handgun, 7x, platform, etc.) made for something I couldn't have done if I'd thought about it. Probably couldn't do it again. But, I'll take it once.

Shot was 151 yards and he ran 33 yards after impact.

Maroon Line = Odd Racked Buck from the North
Blue Line = Doe and Yearling from the South
Yellow Line = Herd of Does from the East
Red Line = 6-Point Buck from the East

1 = My Position
2 = Impact
3 = Recovered
4 = Truck
Yellow Line = Line of Shot
Orange Line = Route to Truck

Loaded the buck on my Game Cart and............hauled him back to the truck.

He ain't big. But, being my first deer with this gun and the shot itself..............I am very pleased.

Autopsy to follow.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Zee] #167949 12/29/2015 4:02 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Awesome shot! Congrats! Not many can do that with a riffle....did I spell that right?

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: KRal] #167950 12/29/2015 4:13 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Distance: 151 yards
MV: Unknown
Impact Velocity: Unknown
Angle: Quartering Away
Distance Traveled: 33 yards

I'm slipping on the science. I don't know the velocity of this load through this gun. Sorry.

Entrance

Entrance Under Hide

Entrance Under Hide - Meat Removed

The temporary cavity created by the bullet as it entered and angled forward broke 5 ribs and opened up a huge hole in the abdominal wall.

Bullet Path - Ribs Removed

Coagulated blood in the thoracic cavity.

Path through Thoracic Cavity - Blood Removed

Damage to Left Lung & Heart

The bullet passed through the inside of left lung and top of the heart. Damage to the lungs were not as substantial as the bullet's path was mostly between the lobes of the lungs and at the back end of the temporary cavity. At this point, the damage caused by the hydrostatic shock was administered to the abdomen and liver. Leaving just the permanent cavity cavity damage to the heart and lungs. As the bullet passed through the top of the heart, it damaged the veins and arteries entering and exiting the heart. But again, having slowed down considerably by this point, we do not see the extensive damage caused by the expansive temporary cavity often seen in broadside shots.

Bullet Lodged Next to Esophagus @ Front of Neck

The bullet passed along the esophagus, wind pipe, and carotid artery. Damaging the later two in the process. Coming to rest in the muscle at the front of the throat.

Recovered Bullet

The core did separate from the jacket, but both were located in the exact same spot and only separated upon removal.

A-Max bullets continue to perform flawlessly.

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Zee] #167952 12/29/2015 4:28 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Great report! That should answer any question on the Amax.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: KRal] #167954 12/29/2015 4:32 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sounds like a great time, congratulations.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Zee] #167955 12/29/2015 4:32 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
That is a heckova shot! .........especially without eyes.

There are those that say you shouldnt shoot at running deer. If i have to i will, and have missed some n killed some. I grew up shooting running wild game. Im no expert or even close, but if you are not willing to fail, you may never succeed.😉

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Zee] #167957 12/29/2015 4:39 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Great late season hunt and great write up!

Michael Joe Moore
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: KYODE] #167959 12/29/2015 4:43 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Thanks guys.

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't in a flat out hauling butt run. I'd not have considered a shot if he was. But, he was moving to cut the doe off and I'd call it a fast trot. Moving fast enough that I had to lead him and pan the rest, but I wasn't holding way off his body. He was moving at a steep quartering angle and not perpendicular to me. Makes it easier. But, I was still pleased.

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Zee] #167963 12/29/2015 5:16 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
This is good stuff! Congrats!

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Gregg Richter] #167967 12/29/2015 6:21 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Congrats!

Nice write up - I think we all need a Zee to document the science
\:\)

Somehow I think the tall-racked deer may be in trouble as you continue to test different guns this season...

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: SChunter] #167969 12/29/2015 6:56 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Nice buck, nice shot, nice photos, Congrats.

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: SChunter] #167971 12/29/2015 7:12 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: SChunter

Somehow I think the tall-racked deer may be in trouble as you continue to test different guns this season...

I'll be back for him. Just gotta decide what I want to take with me next time.

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Zee] #167976 12/29/2015 7:50 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
very impressive young man.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: jamesfromjersey] #167977 12/29/2015 7:52 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Congratulations!

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Russell] #167988 12/29/2015 11:05 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Good to see you in great form, even with a broken foot.
I wouldn't say this about many people, but Zee is a very good field shooter, even under pressure.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Ernie] #167990 12/30/2015 1:09 AM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Gotta flinch just right.

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Zee] #167991 12/30/2015 1:11 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Oh yeah, I forgot that special technique:)

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Ernie] #167998 12/30/2015 3:57 AM
Brenden Offline
addict
addict
Great shot, Zee. Darn fine buck to boot.

The A-Max exhibited excellent performance.

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: Brenden] #168003 12/30/2015 11:07 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
Well,,,,,,,,I say you have answered all the questions. Congratulations on a fine shot and report.

Re: First deer with the MOA Maximum! [Re: dhom] #168228 01/09/2016 6:27 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Some fine shooting, right there. Congrats!

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod