Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. #171100 06/20/2016 12:25 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Took off yesterday evening to the field I shoot pigs for a rancher. Planned on getting there before dark on the off chance they might come out in daylight. Parked at the gate and walked across the field to the far back corner where they often enter the field from the adjoining property.

As I crossed the field, I noticed the neighbor, whose property the pigs come from, out target practicing with an AR on his makeshift range. So much for pigs coming out before dark. Changed direction from the corner I intended to sit at and headed to a high point in the ryegrass where I could watch the cut wheat, ryegrass, and stock tank.

That is the stock tank berm behind me.

Found a a bare spot in the grass and took a seat.

That big high line pole is on the neighbors property and the corner of the field where the pigs enter the cut wheat and where I can shoot them. Consequently, it's where my pig this evening would enter as well.

From this spot, I watched the neighbor zero his AR, watched the cutter ants harvest around me, listened to the Mosquitos buzz in my ear, and the sun set over the tank behind me.

Just before dark, the neighbor finished his range session and headed for the house. So, I got up, crossed the H-Brace in front of me, and headed out to sit in the cut wheat.

For reference, the pig I later shot was about halfway between me and the highline pole in front and to the left in the picture. He was also about halfway between the pole and the left edge of the pic at the shot.

As the sun sunk below the horizon, deer began to come out of the woods and feed in the fields.

In the twilight, the full moon began to rise into the sky and light up the field. The deer came closer as I watched them in the scope. A beautiful night.

Then, as I watched one young buck through the scope as he fed along the fence line bordering the cut wheat and the neighbors property, I noticed him look up and stare towards the tree line. Looking to my left, I saw a boar come under the fence corner at the highline pole and trot out into the cut wheat. In the short wheat stubble, I laid prone and tracked him on the bipod. Not an easy thing. I kept having to pick up the pistol, shift it right, and track him some more. I was hoping he'd stop before he got in line with the neighbors house. But, as he kept moving out into the field as though on a mission to get somewhere, I decided it was time to shoot before the house was in the back ground.

I repositioned the pistol one more time, picked him up in my sight picture, followed him briefly as he walked, and put a 168gr A-Max through his shoulder.

At the shot, flames shot out of the barrel (now visible in the dark as opposed to the daylight range trip). I lost sight of the boar in the recoil. Quickly, I regained my sight picture in time to see legs kicking up above the wheat stubble as he lay on the ground thrashing. In a few seconds, it was all over and he was still.

Scanning around in in case there were more, I only saw a few fleeing deer and others standing around wondering what had just happened. Picked up my gear and walked the 60 yards to the boar.

He wasn't a huge one. Maybe 150ish pounds. But, even at that, and with the close distance, the A-Max didn't exit the off side shield. It dumped all it had in him and dropped him on the spot. Lots of bone and gristle to penetrate.

The pistol worked like a champ. Steady as a rock with the bipod and rear bag. I'm really liking this rig. Gonna be fun times ahead.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: Zee] #171102 06/20/2016 1:50 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Congratulations, Zee! Great photos by the way!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: Whitworth] #171105 06/20/2016 3:40 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Dang, Zee, that's got to be some kind of record time between build completion and first blood.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: Chance Weldon] #171106 06/20/2016 3:47 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Thanks guys.

No time like the present, right?

Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: Zee] #171108 06/20/2016 6:53 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Good shooting.

How warm was it that day when you were sitting there? Just curious.

Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: Gregg Richter] #171110 06/20/2016 7:32 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
I was sweating pretty good walking across the field in the sun. But, once seated, it became more comfortable in the setting sun. By no means.......cool. But.......less hot.

Upper 70s to Lower 80s would be my guess.

Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: Zee] #171111 06/20/2016 7:44 PM
short30 Offline
does a build like this mean you need a short barreled rifle stamp or it is just registered as a pistol when you buy the receiver?

First Handgun Deer: ~1982 8" S&W .38Spl
SW 7.5" 686-7 with Matchdot II
SBHH .45LC 7.5"
Contender G2 .35-30/30 (Bellm), .22LR, .22 Hornet, 25-35
Glock 40 10mm; G21 Poly80 w/ 9 inch barrel (in work)
Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: short30] #171113 06/20/2016 8:27 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
I spoke with a regional ATF Agent regarding the designation of bare receivers when purchased from distributors as such. The following is the information I received.

Regarding an AR Pistol and my current build of a Bolt Action Specialty Pistol and their legal classification, I did some homework.

I called:
ATF Field Agent E. Mata
Houston, TX ATF Field Division
https://www.atf.gov/houston-field-division
(281)716-8200

regarding their classification and subsequent need for reclassification. The info is as follows.

Regarding stripped AR/Bolt Action/Break Action Receivers. If the bare receiver is made and sold from the factory as a bare receiver and classified as "Receiver" on the 4473 and "Other" on the NCIC Check from the FFL holder...........It (the receiver) does NOT need to be reclassified or any paperwork submitted by the end user once the receiver is manufactured into either a rifle or pistol by the attachment of a corresponding stock/grip or appropriate length barrel.

It is classified as a receiver and stays that way as long as all rules and regulations regarding barrel length or overall length are adhered to. For instance......if placed in a rifle stock, it must have a 16" barrel and so forth.

The only time the receiver will/must be reclassified as either a pistol or rifle is if it is later sold by an FFL dealer and an additional 4473 is completed. At that time, it will be reclassified in accordance with its current condition. Either a rifle or a pistol.

Clarification being what did it leave the factory as?

If it left the factory as a bare receiver, the end user "manufactures" it into either a rifle or pistol. If it leaves the factory already "manufactured" as a rifle or pistol............it is what it is and the end user cannot change that.........without money and paperwork.

Once it is "manufactured" by either the company or end user from its bare "receiver" status into one or the other (rifle/pistol)........any subsequent 4473s will reflect its end state.

Speculation can lead you to trouble. If you have questions...........call those that will be grinding your ass if you break the law.

Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: Zee] #171114 06/20/2016 8:36 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That`s great cause you had a better day then I......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171119 06/21/2016 3:09 AM
PsTaN Offline
addict
addict
Nice build and nice hog!

Heat index has been as high as 110 here .... Lower 80's would be like Winter.

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"
Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: PsTaN] #171120 06/21/2016 3:22 AM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
It's 100 here in the day. Dropping to 70s-80s in the evening/night.

Re: Boar with the .308 Winchester Specialty Pistol. [Re: Zee] #171121 06/21/2016 6:01 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Outstanding as usual!

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod