Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
COOL!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171335 07/01/2016 8:51 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I seriously didn't know ya had a Ruger book! Oops!!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Sad news [Re: Raptortrapper] #171367 07/03/2016 2:22 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
James, just read this. Wow, sad time for sure. I still have all the copies I ever received. JD did my first custom handgun I own. And several of my contenders. I am doing my best to recruit more hand gunners. Been pretty successful so far. My daughter has become a fair handguner. Hoping she bags her first deer this year with her 357. Going to have some custom work done on it for her after the season is over. Keep the tech lit gentlemen.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171375 07/03/2016 4:53 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Good to hear!!!

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Sad news [Re: REDHAWK1954] #171394 07/04/2016 12:06 PM
Damon Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Havent checked my mail box. in a week Sad news indeed. I my self had hoped to grace the pages of The Sixgunner some day. but with 3 kids and limited time to hunt I was not able to make it happen. I look forward to reading the last issue tomorrow on my day off.

Re: Sad news [Re: Damon] #171413 07/05/2016 12:32 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I don't think there is a decrease in the amount of hand gun hunters. There may be a decrease in the number of customers he deals with. Personally I have introduced several hunters to our sport and am working on some more. I think hand-gunning is safe.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Sad news [Re: reflex264] #171693 07/26/2016 7:42 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
It was indeed sad news to read about the end of HHI and the Sixgunner. It is even sadder to read the comments on the HG hunting and shooting sites like "I always meant to join, but never did" or "I always wanted to write a story and have it published, but I was too busy". No offense intended to anyone, but this is an object lesson that failure to act can have unpleasant consequences. Hopefully, that will not be the case in the upcoming election.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Sad news [Re: Sawfish] #171704 07/27/2016 5:19 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Unfortunately, we saw the signs and knew that this was coming. I remember joining HHI in 1997, I absolutely loved reading about all the handgun hunts in The Sixgunner. I will miss it, but hell, I miss all the magazines and books about handgun hunting

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Sad news [Re: reflex264] #172024 08/15/2016 12:17 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I haven't been online much in months so this is the first I've heard of this. That's too bad. I'll take some blame in this. I was an HHI member for a while and let my membership lapse. Around that time issues of the Sixgunner were pretty small so I didn't feel like I was getting as much as I used to. The magazine was member driven and I never tried contributing an article either so I'll take a little more blame. Its one of those things you take for granted assuming its always going to be there.

Originally Posted By: reflex264
I don't think there is a decrease in the amount of hand gun hers.

Personally I have introduced several hunters to our sport and am working on some more.

I applaud your effort to get people involved in handgun hunting. I do think numbers are down in all methods of hunting that increase the challenge/difficulty of hunting. I do not hunt exclusively with handguns. I enjoy hunting with traditional muzzleloaders (both flintlock and cappers) and traditional archery (longbows/recurves). I even hunted rifle season a couple years ago with a scoped 375JDJ carbine.

I've introduced quite a few people to handguns, traditional muzzleloaders and traditional archery. They always have fun shooting them but if they decide to pursue hunting opt for scoped inlines, compound bows or scoped rifles. This is not meant to insult anyone who hunts with any of those weapons (myself included on the recent use of a scoped rifle) hopefully I can explain my point.

The impression I usually get is that they like the idea of a challenge but they don't want to put the effort into developing the skill it takes to become proficient with them. They aren't willing to pass on shots that are outside the limitations of those weapons. It seems that success at all costs is the name of the game now. I think hunting shows on TV are partly responsible for this. Years ago it seemed like these shows tried to show ethical behavior and shots. When I dumped those channels about a year ago it was not unusual to see people taking "hail marry" shots at game and admitting it. I did a post here about a show "Meet the McMillans" that was the last straw for me. I see a lot of younger hunters today that mimic this behavior. They would rather risk wounding an animal with an iffy shot and losing it than passing on a bad shot. Being able to get their hands on that animal and getting a "hero" pic to brag about is all that matters.

Now that people are mad at me about my inline/compound comments let me explain. I have nothing against either of these weapons. The problem comes when people start turning them into long range weapons. Muzzleloading and archery seasons were meant to be primitive seasons. In many states they take place during the elk rut, etc when animals are often very active and easier to stalk within close range of.

I'm not a snob with the weapons I choose to hunt with. I would rather someone use a weapon they are comfortable and proficient with. The problem comes when those primitive weapons are turned into "long range" weapons. I've seen people on TV and know a couple guys who take 100+ yard shots on game with compound bows. Even if a shot was perfect at release, the animal can easily take a couple steps by the time the arrow reaches it resulting in a gut or rear ham shot. Just because they can do it on the range doesn't mean its a good idea on game. The same is true for people using pelleted sabots and optics to make a muzzleloader equal to a scoped centerfire rifle. People want the luxury of hunting additional seasons but don't want to accept the limitations and the challenge of "short range weapons".

Sorry for a long drawn out rant!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Sad news [Re: pab1] #172030 08/15/2016 2:47 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
"The impression I usually get is that they like the idea of a challenge but they don't want to put the effort into developing the skill it takes to become proficient with them".

pab, I`ve seen the same..... This is why I end my post with:
"Handgun hunters HAVE to be good".........

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #172034 08/15/2016 1:07 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Yup. And if someone is too lazy to get proficient, they should find a new hobby like needle point or basket weaving.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #172036 08/15/2016 3:58 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I don't have a problem with folks using whatever is legal for that state/hunting season.
I don't have a problem of whether they kill at short medium or at distance.
The only problem I have is when someone isn't proficient or safe at what they are using and at the distance they are using it at.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #172067 08/16/2016 5:16 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Yup. And if someone is too lazy to get proficient, they should find a new hobby like needle point or basket weaving.

yeah....or use a rifle!
;\)

LOL just kid'n.

I agree fully with what Ernie said.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #172139 08/18/2016 10:55 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Agreed!

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod