Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vortex 2-7x Scout Scope Range Report #171509 07/09/2016 6:19 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Finally got the Vortex 2-7x Scout Scope after being backordered several weeks. Mounted it on my CVA Scout Pistol in .243 Winchester using Leupold Rifleman Rings and a Mounting Solutions Plus Anti-Cant Level (first time using this brand).

Went to the range to zero the gun and play with the scope a little.

I will break it down into Pros and Cons.

Pros
-Finger Adjustable Turrets (under caps) with MOA Numbers hat are re-settable to zero.
-Magnification is 2-7 power.
-Compact with long enough tube to provide ample ring spacing.
-Fast Focus Eye Piece which functions kind of like a poor man's parallax adjustment.
-Thick Duplex Reticle (for hunting)

Cons
-Short Eye Relief from 4-7x (9.5-10")
*Yes, I know this is a scout scope being used as a pistol scope. Basically, using it out of it's intended purpose. But, that was the goal of this experiment. To see if the scope was usable as a pistol scope. Keep in mind, I am currently using a 4x Weaver Scout Scope as a Pistol Scope on my .460 S&W and using a 2x Weaver Pistol Scope as a Scout Scope on my Rossi R92 levergun. So, it can be done.
-Large disparity in eye relief between 2x & 7x. To the point that I am amazed it can actually be used as a Scout Scope.
*9.5" at 7x
*14-16" at 2x
-Turrets numbers do not line up with zero clicks perfectly.
-Shallow Eye Box in that, if you are not RIGHT on the eye relief, the edges distort and blur out.
Reticle @ 7x looking at 1" Paster @ 100yrds

Eye Relief @ 7x to have clear view.

Turrets zeroed out after sighting in scope. Note, the numbers do not line up with zero hash.

It is uncomfortable for me to crawl up on the scope and gun at 7x to get a proper eye relief. My neck and shoulders just don't like that position. I either need a butt stock to place my head on, or I prefer shooting at arms length or closer to arms length. After a few shots crawling up on the gun like you see in the above picture, I pushed back and just doughnut holed the reticle at 7x like I do when using other rifle scopes on pistols. The doughnut hole wasnt as defined clear/black as with other rifle scopes. More of a clear/distorted blur/black transition. But, doable and comfortable.

I wouldn't put this scope on a heavy recoiling handgun and crawl up to 9.5" @ 7x without fear of getting nailed in the face.

I was able to zero the gun in 4 rounds from boresight to done.

This is not a high end Vortex and that should be understood. It is a sub $200 Crossfire II line. Optical clarity corresponds with price. It isn't the highest quality clarity........and isn't the highest price either. On top of that, I got a SMOKING good deal on the scope. Like dealer price through a friend. At the price I paid for the scope, I am MORE than satisfied with it's performance. I mean........I pretty much stole it at less than $100.

If I had to pay retail for this scope to put on a pistol or even a scout rifle, I would rather save up a little more and buy a Weaver pistol or scout scope. I really like the turrets on the Vortex as I can zero for 100yrds and dial in my dope for distance as opposed to hold-over as with a Weaver. The reticle on the Vortex is probably better for hunting in low light. But, eye relief and optical clarity is hands down in the Weaver corner. Plus, Weaver pistol scopes have 1 more power (8x) on the power ring.

Bottom line, I put a sub $200 (retail) scope on a $300 pistol. It works, with caveats, and I will leave it on the gun. It doesn't recoil much, so I don't have to worry about getting beaned in the forehead. This is a 300 yards hunting rig and I think the scope will accomplish that just fine.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Vortex 2-7x Scout Scope Range Report [Re: Zee] #171524 07/10/2016 4:56 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Nice review.
Just got back home after a couple of long, but good days at a steel match.
I was thinking of shooting pigs...You have forever ruined me.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Vortex 2-7x Scout Scope Range Report [Re: Ernie] #171528 07/10/2016 4:11 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
They are still out there. Taunting you.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod