Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: pab1] #172107 08/17/2016 9:37 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: pab1
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
The bear was highly agitated and standing within 3 feet of my clients when I decided I could take a shot without endangering them.

All out charge???

I was too slow typing. By the time I hit submit you beat me to it.
;\)

Yes, unless you don't believe Phil:
458Win is Phil on AR

Picture of 458Win
posted Aug 15, 4:03 AM Hide Post

Wayne, I have been hunting brown bears for 38 years, live within a Federal Wildlife refuge, see brown bears on nearly a daily basis and can assure you that it was an all out charge!

I am not recommending a 9mm, nor any other handgun calibers. The 357, 44 and larger rounds do give deeper penetration, and would be my choice if I knew I had to face a charge with a handgun, but loaded with proper bullets the 9mm does work.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker http://www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: jwp475] #172108 08/17/2016 10:07 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Like I posted before, there is no way to deny that a lot of luck was involved in the bear reacting by spinning and not attacking. There was not a brain/spine CNS hit that dropped the bear instantly. Its pretty obvious that there are two "camps" on this issue that won't be swayed so I'll bow out with a story of another grizzly incident.

Who needs a gun of any caliber or even a bow for that matter. Just grab an arrow with a broadhead on it and get to work.
This happened in Colorado back in 1979. The first time I read about it was in the book Ghost Grizzlies by David Peterson. Ed Wiseman was attacked while bow hunting by the last confirmed grizzly in Colorado. He killed the bear as it attacked him by stabbing it a couple times with an arrow.

http://www.thegazette.com/2014/01/14/marion-man-battled-a-grizzly-and-lived

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: pab1] #172110 08/17/2016 10:31 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
Like I posted before, there is no way to deny that a lot of luck was involved in the bear reacting by spinning and not attacking. There was not a brain/spine CNS hit that dropped the bear instantly. Its pretty obvious that there are two "camps" on this issue that won't be swayed so I'll bow out with a story of another grizzly incident.

Who needs a gun of any caliber or even a bow for that matter. Just grab an arrow with a broadhead on it and get to work.
This happened in Colorado back in 1979. The first time I read about it was in the book Ghost Grizzlies by David Peterson. Ed Wiseman was attacked while bow hunting by the last confirmed grizzly in Colorado. He killed the bear as it attacked him by stabbing it a couple times with an arrow.

http://www.thegazette.com/2014/01/14/marion-man-battled-a-grizzly-and-lived

Beverly grizz that I have shot and or seen shot has reacted to being shot.

If memory serves the guy in your link got chewded on a bit. Phil didn't get chewed on and neither did his clients.

Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: jwp475] #172111 08/17/2016 11:01 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: jwp475

If memory serves the guy in your link got chewded on a bit. Phil didn't get chewed on and neither did his clients.

I know I said I was bowing out but...seriously???

Of coarse a bear will react, it was luck in how it reacted.

I posted that link to lighten the mood and because its an amazing story. I was in no way trying to compare it to the Shoemaker incident. The bear was on him (as happens in many attacks) before he knew what happened. We're all friends here, relax.

Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: pab1] #172113 08/17/2016 11:33 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

I know I said I was bowing out but...seriously???

Of coarse a bear will react, it was luck in how it reacted.

I posted that link to lighten the mood and because its an amazing story. I was in no way trying to compare it to the Shoemaker incident. The bear was on him (as happens in many attacks) before he knew what happened. We're all friends here, relax.

Luck? I think Phil made his luck when he selected ammo with enough penetration. There is always some luck involved when one escapes certain serious injury or death.

Yes it is an amazing story.

Last edited by jwp475; 08/17/2016 11:36 PM.
Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: pab1] #172114 08/17/2016 11:44 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
The bear was highly agitated and standing within 3 feet of my clients when I decided I could take a shot without endangering them.

All out charge???

I was too slow typing. By the time I hit submit you beat me to it.
;\)

;\)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: jwp475] #172116 08/18/2016 12:17 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

Luck? I think Phil made his luck when he selected ammo with enough penetration. There is always some luck involved when one escapes certain serious injury or death.

Yes it is an amazing story.

Ok. You're right. I throw in the towel. I'm going out back to enjoy the view before it gets dark. Everybody tells me my place has a nice view of the forest. I can't see it, there's too many trees in the way.

Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: pab1] #172119 08/18/2016 2:51 AM
N-Frame Offline
journeyman
journeyman
In 1953 an Indian woman named Bella Twin killed a grizzly bear with a single shot .22, that turned out to be the world record at that time. So ya see guys, you don't even need a centerfire or a magazine, a single shot .22 is all you need. Bella "proved" it.

Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: N-Frame] #172131 08/18/2016 7:23 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Screw the 9mm............. I`am carrying a 22 short next time I crawl through the alders..........

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: jamesfromjersey] #172141 08/18/2016 11:23 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Screw the 9mm............. I`am carrying a 22 short next time I crawl through the alders..........

Seems kind of overkill for big bears. I'd prefer a 17 HMR.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: jamesfromjersey] #172150 08/19/2016 10:44 PM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Lucky , lucky people..... Taking clients into bear country with a 9mm was kinda reckless on his part. He once wrote about using a smaller caliber handgun like a 357 with solids so you can control the gun for headshots and as you see he could not hit the head. His clients were super lucky as was he. I talked with a few big game handgun hunters about this yesterday and we all agree that if any of you are in big bear country that you carry something larger then a 9mm.....Super lucky......
Bigger is always better when around something trying to kill you

I agree James. Should have had a big bore revolver. Probably carry the nine as a second gun but not a primary.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: billa] #172153 08/20/2016 1:06 AM
Randominator Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
A grizzly can be killed with a 22 magnum if you hit it enough times, but I would never go into grizzly country with a guide carrying one.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"
Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: billa] #172160 08/20/2016 2:12 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: billa
Lucky , lucky people..... Taking clients into bear country with a 9mm was kinda reckless on his part. He once wrote about using a smaller caliber handgun like a 357 with solids so you can control the gun for headshots and as you see he could not hit the head. His clients were super lucky as was he. I talked with a few big game handgun hunters about this yesterday and we all agree that if any of you are in big bear country that you carry something larger then a 9mm.....Super lucky......
Bigger is always better when around something trying to kill you

I agree James. Should have had a big bore revolver. Probably carry the nine as a second gun but not a primary.

Posted by Phil on AR

458Win
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Aug 19, 2:20 PM Hide Post
I have stopped a number of real bear charges with rifles from the 30-06 to the 505 Gibbs and rate "shoot-ability", including speed of fire, as second only to bullet placement.

It's no different with a handgun , as Bill Jorden pointed out in his book " No Second Place Winner " He said he found the ability to quickly place additional hits quicker with a 357 to be of more benefit that the extra power of a 44.

I am certainly not recommending a 9mm for bear defense, but if you are familiar with one and that is what you have then it will get it done.
And I am sure a 357, 44 , 475 or 500 will too, but only if you have it with you and can make hits quickly, and often, with it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker http://www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Re: Phil Shoemaker [Re: jwp475] #172205 08/21/2016 12:33 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Posted by Phil on 24 hour:

458Win Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: AK peninsula
As I stated on one of these threads, I would have been fairly confident of stopping it if the bear was coming for me as I am certain that the ammo in my 9mm would have penetrated the brain from any angle. Otherwise I would not have been packing it.
http://www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod