Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171750 07/30/2016 4:03 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Darrell, That`s interesting about how far your first water buff traveled after taking three rounds from the 450 express rifle compared to the 454.... I remember my first Cape buff took three rounds from my 416 Rigby rifle while the second one dropped at the first shot with my FA`s 500WE. My Florida water buff ( though nowhere near as large as yours ) took a 400gr XTP from my FA`s 475LB and shook like he was electrocuted. I doubt there`s a typical reaction from any of the world`s large buffalo when taken with a handgun or rifle for that matter....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171752 07/30/2016 5:55 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
7 times in rather short order.........very nice!

I'm assuming the Barnes are an expanding bullet. In comparison, were the .450 Nitro bullets solid or, less pliable bullets? Maybe a difference in damage done to internal organs in expansion compared to poking holes from solids? I don't know as I'm unsure as to your bullets used in all those instances.

I think James is right in that you never know their reaction. But I DO like comparing instances and bullet types from a scientific standpoint to gain knowledge.

Great stuff!!

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Zee] #171758 07/30/2016 1:29 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Zee, he was using Barnes Busters which are a flat-nosed solid.

This is all evidence that each and every animal is a law unto itself. Some give up the ghost quickly, others don't accept their fate. Nicely done, Darrell!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Whitworth] #171759 07/30/2016 3:04 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Very true.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Zee] #171760 07/30/2016 3:40 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Great hunt and story, DH! I hope you're planning a book of your hunting adventures for the future; you can put me down for a signed copy.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: KRal] #171765 07/30/2016 6:57 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dar, Your the first handgun hunter I know that used the Buster. I know when I first saw them I wished the meplat was wider like the original Barnes solid. Would you use them again??

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171767 07/30/2016 7:36 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Darrell, now that you've seen how the cast bullets did in Africa and the Barnes busters in Australia, any plans to see how your 376 Steyr would do?

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Franchise] #171768 07/30/2016 10:32 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
Darrell, now that you've seen how the cast bullets did in Africa and the Barnes busters in Australia, any plans to see how your 376 Steyr would do?

good question.......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171769 07/30/2016 10:33 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dar, Any idea what`s next for you in the "big game" department??

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171770 07/30/2016 10:56 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Dar, Your the first handgun hunter I know that used the Buster. I know when I first saw them I wished the meplat was wider like the original Corbon solid. Would you use them again??

Here are the 45 caliber Buster bullet on the left and the original 45 caliber Corbon flat point Penetrator on the right. The meplat on the Buster is around 0.30" wide while the Penetrator is around 0.490" wide.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171771 07/30/2016 11:43 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Dang....that's a noticeable difference!

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Franchise] #171772 07/31/2016 12:27 AM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
Congrats and Well done!!! That was a world class adventure that most hunters only read about and dream of. You make all of us handgun hunters proud.

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: KRal] #171778 07/31/2016 3:59 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: KRal
Great hunt and story, DH! I hope you're planning a book of your hunting adventures for the future; you can put me down for a signed copy.

Save a copy for me.......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171784 07/31/2016 12:17 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Congrats on the great hunt Darrell.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: magman] #171785 07/31/2016 3:10 PM
Darrell H Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks guys, I'm no writer but I do enjoy sharing stories with those stricken with the same affliction.
\:\)

James, I would definitely use the Busters again. I wasn't necessarily concerned about meplat size since it is my understanding that they do deform slightly. You can see some recovered bullets that show slight expansion in this old Barnes ad video.

Barnes Buster Ad

I had always waned to give them a try after reading about Il Ling's handgun buffalo taken with Barnes Busters in the 454 Casull Super Redhawk a few years back.

After seeing how accurately they shot in Matt Graham's revolver in 2014, I thought that it would be a perfect opportunity to give them a try this year.

David, the 376 Steyr XP100 currently resides in Kansas. Fortunately, my buddy Glenn would probably let me borrow it back should the need arise.

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171786 07/31/2016 3:34 PM
Darrell H Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
After shooting the buffalo we headed back to camp midday so that Peter could boil out the skull. Upon arriving in camp, we were entertained by Larry the monitor. Larry lives somewhere along the creek that flows through camp but he regularly visits Chef Paul who has domesticated him by bribing him with meat scraps.

Peter had the skull looking good in short order. It just needs the final treatment that consists of soaking it in a peroxide solution and it will be ready to come to Georgia.

On day four we headed back to the same area that we hunted on day two in search of the the old bull with broomed-off horns. We didn't see the bull or his harem of cows but as we were leaving the area we noticed a scraggly looking old scrub bull standing on the side of the trail. I joked to Peter that he should let me shoot that scrub bull free of charge in order to put him out of his misery and we both laughed. Little did we know that that my request would soon come to fruition.

As we approached the bull, he spun around and tried to run off but he lost his balance and he fell over on his side. We got out of the vehicle and approached him as he laid there with his eyes rolled back in his head, stiff-legged, and bellowing at us. Try as he might he could not get up. It became apparent that the right thing to do was end the old boy's suffering. After dispatching him, Peter hooked the bull to the vehicle and we dragged him away from the trail.

The bull was emaciated very badly and completely covered with ticks. We couldn't help but wonder just how long the old boy had been suffering from his affliction.

Later that afternoon we spotted a buffalo that had some very long horns. It was standing on the edge of a creek and we decided to go for it, dropping down into the creek and stalking right up the creek. About fifty yards away, I got in front of Peter and rested the handgun on a tree trunk from a kneeling position. Peter once again called to the buffalo and it came running toward us, stopping at only 25-30 yards away. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a large cow with a very impressive set of headgear. That cow has no idea how close she came to getting shot!

In addition to the long-horned cow, we saw several animals that afternoon including buffalo, donkeys, and a sow with a litter of pigs. It had been another good day in the Outback.

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171791 07/31/2016 7:44 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Darr, Thanks for your info on the buster and let me add that you had one heck of a nice buff hunt..... Good for you.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171792 07/31/2016 8:15 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Well dang Darrell 😉 maybe our good buddy Dur would let you bust one with his 475 JDJ...you know, for comparison purposes 😉

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171800 08/01/2016 12:52 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dar, Your the first handgun hunter I know that used the Buster. I know when I first saw them I wished the meplat was wider like the original Corbon solid. Would you use them again??

Here are the 45 caliber Buster bullet on the left and the original 45 caliber Corbon flat point Penetrator on the right. The meplat on the Buster is around 0.30" wide while the Penetrator is around 0.490" wide.

The small meplat on the Buster has been a criticism of mine from day one. The Penetrator on the other hand has(d) a great big meplat. Just wish they still produced them. This is the same issue I have with the CEB handgun solids. The meplat is small and while they work and they penetrate like crazy, I like a bigger meplat (and bigger wound channel).

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Whitworth] #171805 08/01/2016 6:28 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

The small meplat on the Buster has been a criticism of mine from day one. The Penetrator on the other hand has(d) a great big meplat. Just wish they still produced them. This is the same issue I have with the CEB handgun solids. The meplat is small and while they work and they penetrate like crazy, I like a bigger meplat (and bigger wound channel).

know what you mean.......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171815 08/02/2016 12:30 AM
Darrell H Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
On day 5, we hunted a completely different area. We saw few buffalo that morning before breaking for lunch. After lunch, we set out on foot for a stalk along a nearby creek.

It wasn't long before Peter spotted a buffalo cow walking in the tall grass. We froze and began glassing the area for other buffalo. We slowly moved forward and before long we spotted a group of buffalo lying in a wallow to escape the mid-day heat. We used the topography of the land to approach the sleeping buffalo and were within 10 yards of them when one of them slowly stood up and stared at us. We froze in our tracks and she began walking toward us, trying to figure out what we were. Peter began calling and all of the buffalo in the group slowly stood up, including a bull a mere 10-15 yards away.

I thought that the bull was a shooter but Peter insisted that he was too young to take so we just watched as they huffed, stomped the ground, and slowly walked out of sight. We slowly made our way up the creek and had several more encounters with females and juveniles but no more bulls.

As the evening approached, we decided to head back to the area once again where we had seen the old broomed-horn bull. Along the way, I spotted a boar on my side of the road and I yelled "Pig"! The vehicle skidded to a stop and Peter slowly backed up and I bailed out of the vehicle. The hog was walking away from me as I squeezed off a shot. He appeared to be hit but he took off running and I fired a warning shot, missing him completely. He turned broadside and stopped. I put the Ultradot on his right shoulder and slowly squeezed off a shot. He dropped on the spot with a high shoulder shot.

We stood over the boar and waited and waited for him to expire but he just kept blinking his eyes. Finally I could take no more and I put the barrel of the 454 Casull up to his ear and pulled the trigger.

We had time to check out one additional area and saw several more buffalo and a sow with a litter of shoats but no shooter buffalo bulls. It had been another fantastic day!

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171821 08/02/2016 2:00 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Very nice pig!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171823 08/02/2016 12:12 PM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Darrell H
David, the 376 Steyr XP100 currently resides in Kansas. Fortunately, my buddy Glenn would probably let me borrow it back should the need arise.

We can probably make that happen if I'm not using it that day......um, yeah we are probably safe for you to take it
;\)

Great shooting buddy and awesome trophies!!

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: GlennS] #171832 08/02/2016 2:21 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Nice Buff!

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Franchise] #171845 08/03/2016 5:29 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Again Darrell, great shooting and a fantastic trip!!!

Originally Posted By: Franchise
Well dang Darrell 😉 maybe our good buddy Dur would let you bust one with his 475 JDJ...you know, for comparison purposes 😉

David, if the Australian Po-Po would have allowed him to import it, I'd gladly contribute my JDJ in the name terminal ballistics science

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: SChunter] #171858 08/03/2016 10:27 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
What's a little jail time in the pursuit of ballistic knowledge 😉😁

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Franchise] #171889 08/06/2016 4:54 PM
Darrell H Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
According to Greek mythology, the skilled craftsman Daedalus fabricated wings from wax and feathers so that he and his son Icarus could escape captivity by flying away from the island of Crete. Unfortunately Icarus became overconfident and flew too close to the sun. This triggered a trajic chain of events after the wax that held Icarus' feathers melted and he tumbled to his death into the sea. Like Icarus, on my last day in Australia overconfidence also caused me to tumble (although on a much less tragic scale) from the high that I had experienced during the previous day's successful hunts.

After heading out on the last day, we encountered another hog not far from camp. Again, the vehicle skidded to a stop and I bailed out, put the red dot on the hog's shoulder, and quickly fired two shots. I then opened up my ammo holder and reloaded the revolver. I thought that I had hit the hog but he gave little reaction. What happened next is a little fuzzy but I chased him a long way and fired...well, let's just say "many" shots at him. As I fired at him, the dust boiled up in the ground below the hog's feet. About the time that I ran the revolver dry, the hog grew tired of me chasing him and he turned to face me and began popping his teeth. I reached down to reload and discovered that during the chase my spare ammo had fallen out of the ammo carrier.

I then noticed that I was all alone. I later learned that Peter had gone back to retrieve the vehicle and he was tracking his poor-shooting client by the volley of gunfire erupting from the Super Redhawk. When Peter caught up with me, I asked to borrow his rifle since I was now out of ammo. I aligned the front bead and the notch of the express rear sight of Peter's 375 H&H just behind the hog's left shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger. The hog dropped at the shot.

Humble pie had been served and I felt like a complete rookie. I was so thankful that this performance had come on the last animal of the hunt instead of the first! My confidence had been destroyed and I was almost relieved that we saw no more hogs and "O" buffalo on our last hunting day.

Notwithstanding the last day's events, I had an incredible hunt in Australia. As I stated earlier in this thread, I booked the hunt with Hunt Australia but I wound up hunting with Goodhand Outdoor Experience and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171892 08/07/2016 12:31 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Nice to know I'm not the only one who has stuffed up the last and easiest animal of the hunt

Seriously, it sounds like you had a great time. You may think you're not a good writer, but I find your stories compelling and an inspiration to all handgun hunters. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Walkingthemup; 08/07/2016 5:32 AM. Reason: Typos
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Dekker] #171896 08/07/2016 1:51 AM
dvan Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Congratulations Darrell.

T/C's~Ruger's~Striker~XP~S&W & the Quest Continues
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: dvan] #171934 08/09/2016 11:30 PM
Darrell H Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Epilogue:
After my dismal shooting performance on hog number three, I couldn't wait to get home and try to reenact the shooting scenario. I had taken the Ultradot off of my 454 Super Redhawk to use on the Australian 454 so it was temporarily out of commission when I returned home.

The next evening after I arrived home, I took my 6" S&W 629 (worked over by Montana gunsmith Ben Forkin) topped with a Trijicon RMR to the range in order to reenact the pig shooting scenario. I have an 8" steel target, which roughly represents the size of a pig's/deer's vitals and I backed up about 25 yards. I cocked the hammer and quickly brought the gun up to the target. As soon as the dot of the RMR touched the target I pulled the trigger. I fired quite a few rounds and was able to hit the target about 5 out of 6 times so I was convinced that I had a scope issue in Australia.

Over the course of the next couple of days, I re-mounted the Ultradot used in Australia on my 454 Super Redhawk and I took it to the range to use it in the reenactment. My Super Redhawk has had an SSK trigger/action job and while it is not as slick as the Ben Forkin massaged 629...it ain't half bad. After getting the Ultradot sighted back in, I repeated the drill. As soon as the dot of the Ultradot touched the steel target, I pulled the trigger. I was only able to hit the target about 50% of the time using this gun. I noticed that when I did miss the target, my bullets would impact the ground below the target. This is exactly what happened to me in Australia, when I pulled the trigger, dust would boil up at the pig's feet. I fired 50 rounds at the target and the Ultradot stayed put, I had no POI changes.

The Super Redhawk in Australia was bone-stock factory with a typical factory trigger pull. After this experiment, I am of the opinion that the extra effort that was required in pulling the trigger caused me to shoot low while snap-shooting at the pig with the borrowed gun. It didn't necessarily make me feel better about the poor shooting performance, but at least I could explain it.
\:D

Thanks again for all of your comments guys, I reall appreciate it!

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171935 08/10/2016 12:23 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Some viable to me. Poor trigger squeeze on a right handed shooter usually results in low and left POI.

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171936 08/10/2016 12:37 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Daedalus, errr, Darrell, ya can't be dropping Greek Mythology on us knuckle draggers! Chalk it up to equipment failure and take it to the grave...

Actually, kudos to you for sharing it with the masses - everybody has the yips from time to time, regardless of your practice, experience, or trigger time. I have certainly done similarly (actually worse), with no one to blame but this loose nut behind the trigger. Fortunately you exhausted your allotment of errors on the last game animal of the trip, and no one was injured or mashed into the Australian mud in the process.

(Dibs on the PBFD gun if you don't return from one of your adventures)

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: SChunter] #171937 08/10/2016 12:46 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
everybody has the yips from time to time, regardless of your practice, experience, or trigger time

Indeed.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: s4s4u] #171938 08/10/2016 10:48 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That seems entirely plausible to me, Darrell. However, on the buffalo, where it counted most, you were dead on. Well done, Darrell!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: Darrell H] #171952 08/11/2016 2:17 AM
PistolHNTR Offline
Just an incredible trophy for sure. Well done Darrell

Its always great to see another bucket list animal from any of the handgun hunters on here..

Superb

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: PistolHNTR] #172002 08/13/2016 10:51 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: PistolHNTR
Just an incredible trophy for sure. Well done Darrell

Its always great to see another bucket list animal from any of the handgun hunters on here..

Superb

well said.............

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: jamesfromjersey] #174625 10/29/2016 3:45 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
great hunt and write up darryl! i had been off the boards a bunch and somehow missed this. congrats on such a good hunt and great write up.

Re: Australian Water Buffalo [Re: SChunter] #174894 11/02/2016 1:13 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Great Buff - everyone be sure to also read the thread in Gun News & Politics about imported trophies. Humane Society FOIA

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod