Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What draws you to hunting with a handgun? #177481 01/13/2017 4:37 PM
rob-c Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been a bow hunter for many years and I enjoy the challenge . But during fire arms season it got to the point that it was just getting to easy even with the 870 (I stuck with the slug gun even after NY passed rifle usage ) so decided to handgun hunt . it brought back some of the challenge during fire arm season and now I look forward to bringing out the SRH just as much as the Hoyt.

Last edited by rob-c; 01/13/2017 8:11 PM.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: rob-c] #177483 01/13/2017 4:43 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
The challenge is tops for me but I like to shoot guns so handgunning is a perfect match to hunting. I like rifles and have too many, especially the big bores, but I find that I hardly ever shoot them. I like to get close to stuff too so even though I have one rifle set up for relatively long range shooting taking game at 5-600 yards lost it's appeal a very long time ago unless we're talking about groundhogs, prairie dogs, etc. then that's fun at long distance but it's shooting not hunting to me. With that said I'd really like to have a nice double rifle and take it to Africa just for nostalgia's sake.

Last edited by Gary; 01/13/2017 7:21 PM.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Gary] #177493 01/13/2017 6:45 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
It's different, I like handguns of all kinds, the challenge, it's fun, and I want to.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Ernie] #177497 01/13/2017 7:24 PM
Muddy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Interesting question. I was raised hunting with rifles. My father never bow hunted or owned a handgun. I took up bow hunting for the extra time to hunt and shooting a bow was fun. I always liked handguns more than rifles. My Daisy bb pistol was much more fun for me than a rifle. One of my favorite Christmas gifts was a Crossman CO2 revolver that looked like a S&W. I used it on rabbits and felt like king of the woods with it on my hip. Progressed to a .22 revolver in college and it just grew from there. Soooo for me it is simply a love of owning and shooting handguns in general and hunting with them is just another way to enjoy my handgun addiction.

Dan

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Muddy] #177512 01/13/2017 11:53 PM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
Two things. The challenge and pleasure derived from harvesting game with a handgun and the second is the old man in me bones makes it a little harder these days to hold a long gun for extended periods of time.

Almost forgot....Skeeter Skelton so that three

Last edited by AK hgunner1; 01/14/2017 5:31 AM.

Charlie

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: AK hgunner1] #177515 01/14/2017 1:15 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
The challenge is part of it but it was somewhat romanticized in my head as a kid reading hunting stories and theres just something boring about shooting a rifle at high yardage at game. Got boring fast

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: tradmark] #177516 01/14/2017 1:31 AM
abner Offline
It's kind of three fold for me.
First, like mentioned, it's the challenge. I look at it like extended range bow hunting.
Second, like also mentioned, it's the pleasure of having to work just a little bit harder to be successful.
Third, it's a bit of a protest. With all the hype of "long range" shooting, I vowed to put the hunt back into hunting and not just the shooting. Sure it takes skill with your gun to make an extended range shot, but really how much HUNTING skill does it take to get within 1,000yds. of ANY animal.

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: abner] #177518 01/14/2017 3:15 AM
Handgun400 Offline
addict
addict
I carried a pistol everyday as a LEO for 19 years. It became an extension and just made sense. Also bow-hunted since my late teens so the added challenge appeals; anybody can kill a deer with a rifle, right?

I also had a few people (close friends, relatives and Larry Weishuhn) who influenced me into giving it a try. Finally, I like to stalk, hunt thick stuff and sit on the ground. It's a natural fit for that.

My filter is broken.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Handgun400] #177519 01/14/2017 4:37 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
There's certainly a challenge to hunting with a handgun over a long gun, enough to get me back into squirrel hunting after years of finding it unsatisfying when using a shotgun. But for me, though, it isn't so much about the challenge, even though that's part of the draw; rather, it's the uniqueness of our sport. Think about it, how many people do you know that hunt with handguns? Members of this site don't count, unless you know them fairly well in person offline. Even if you know other handgun hunters, you probably know a lot more who hunt with bows/muzzleloaders/rifles than handguns.

One of my favorite things about hunting with a handgun are the incredulious and impressed looks I get when I recount my hunting stories to non handgun hunters. There have even been several people who have said "You can do that?" in response. Let's not even get started on the responses I get when I mention my 300 Win Mag Encore pistol. It's always interesting hunting alongside a rifle hunter yet still having the ability to shoot as far or even farther than him/her.

I tried bowhunting years ago, but unlike seemingly everyone else who's tried it, I didn't really care for it all that much.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Handgun400] #177520 01/14/2017 4:39 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I like hunting in general. Started with rifles as a little boy. Then archery hunting at 12 and handgun hunting at 16 years old.

Now, I just like shooting and hunting. Haven't done the archery thing for a few years due to injuries. But, picked up handguns hot and heavy since then to replace the close proximity.

Basically, I like being outside. I like hunting. I like a challenge. I like guns. I like new cartridges. I like new bullets. I like learning and playing with ballistics.

I'll use anything to include a knife, a tire iron, and bare hands if it gets me outside.

Handguns are just one of many options.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Zee] #177526 01/14/2017 6:50 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I knew no other way.....my first gun ever was a Colt Series 70 45acp then a Python then a S&W 1955 45acp (there was a S&W 22 Kit Gun in there somewhere)...I was a paper puncher who enjoyed reading Jeff Cooper and was about to really get into Bullseye Shooting... Then one day my boss asked me to go deer hunting with him in Pennsylvania and I told him I did not own a rifle. He replied that it was no problem because Pennsylvania allowed handguns for deer....Got a Sportsman Carry for Penn. and bought some Winchester 158gr JHP and never looked back....It was my 13th deer that I finally shot with a rifle.....Always remember how easy it was using the rifle compared to a handgun...Never meet anyone who started out like me....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #177530 01/14/2017 7:34 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I was like the OP. I was involved in archery tournaments and bow hunting for years before I went my first time with a long gun. Went on my first rifle deer / elk hunt, and had both tags filled less than 30 minutes apart from each other. That, to me, wasn't hunting. All I had to be able to do was see the critter, and it was a done deal. I wanted to get close, like I did with bow hunting. I was burned out on archery, tried the rifle thing, then ended up with revolvers. I am now using a flintlock, but believe me, the revolver side of me is still alive and well. I'll never let go of hunting with revolvers.

I guess it's because I like doing things the hard way. I like to build fire with a flint and steel. Anyone can use a match. I like to use the flintlock for the same reason. Anyone can shoot a rifle, but try getting a 2" group at 100 yards with a flintlock. Not so easy. Even harder with a revolver without optics for me.

Handgun hunting is something I can ALWAYS improve on. And I like the reloading aspect of it as well.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #177531 01/14/2017 7:35 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Back in the days I always was drawn to anything written by Bob Milek who IMO was one of the true pioneers of handgun hunting. He along with his friend Steve Herrett was instrumental in developing the .30 and .357 Herrett cartridges for the Contender. After talking to Bob on the landline 2 or 3 times I ended up with a .30 Herrett and the rest is history...

My passion for handgun hunting led me to become a Licensed Guide and Outfitter specializing in handgun hunts starting in 1987 in both Colorado and Wyoming, operating under the name Little Gun Outfitters; and that career has been extremely rewarding. I continue that passion today and am now booking my handgun antelope hunt; if interested please contact me. I also was a Certified Handgun Hunting Tester for the Colorado Division Of Wildlife.

I have been been instrumental in changing the handgun hunting laws in Colorado to allow all of the big game species to be hunted with handguns; initially it was only deer and black bear.

In addition I have written dozens of articles on handgun hunting for Handgun Hunters International. And last but not least, I filmed and produced a video on Handgun Hunting: Handgunning Mule Deer And Pronghorn Antelope

BTW I also love hunting with my rifles, (especially coyotes and prairie dogs); also my 209X50 ML Encore, revolvers (especially my custom .475 Linebaugh); and my Oneida bow...
\:\)

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Gregg Richter] #177538 01/14/2017 2:22 PM
RidgeRaider Offline
journeyman
journeyman
This was my first year of handgun hunting and I was blessed with taking two deer with handguns. I started hunting squirrels when I was 7 then when a little older my dad took me deer hunting and I used a bolt action 30-30 of his. I soon found the love of bow hunting and that has been my favorite type of deer hunting since even though I still hunted with long guns. I started looking into handgun hunting and in the spring of 2016 bought my first hunting handgun, before season was over I had bought my second. Handgun hunting now become my favorite type hunting even over bow. (can't believe I just admitted that) I enjoy the extra challenges that come along with hunting with a handgun and I also like the flexibility, it's easier climbing into a tree stand and moving around in a ground blind.

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: RidgeRaider] #177539 01/14/2017 3:02 PM
High Tide Offline
journeyman
journeyman
1) Definitely the challenge is what drew me to handgun hunting.

2) The reward of the harvest after hours of practicing--just as bowhunting's rewards.

3) The look on peoples faces when you answer the question "what did you kill it with?"

4) The even crazier look on peoples faces after pulling the cannon from my truck after they didn't believe my answer!

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: High Tide] #177544 01/14/2017 5:43 PM
Dekker Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Reading Bob Milek back in the 70's was the greatest influence. I picked up my first Contender (30 Herrett) around 78 and 8" Colt Python in 80 followed by a XP 100 a few years later. I still have those original guns, plus others I have added over the years.
I do hunt with rifles from time to time, but have mainly stayed with handguns and flintlock rifles. I really like shooting and hunting with flinters.

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Dekker] #177546 01/14/2017 5:54 PM
glynn41 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
lots of the preceding reasons + I can walk into the woods and not get a deer easier than walking into the woods with a rifle and not get a deer
Elmer K. and Lee Jurris got me started

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: glynn41] #177556 01/14/2017 7:46 PM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
The challenge,the satisfaction that my practice, and my handloads, put game down, I don"t feel handicapped one bit!

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: racksmasher1] #177559 01/14/2017 9:16 PM
PsTaN Offline
addict
addict
- I've always enjoyed shooting handguns.
- Hunting with a rifle got boring.
- Portability is wonderful compared to a rifle.
- It's a challenge.

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: PsTaN] #177562 01/14/2017 9:42 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Adrenaline!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Zee] #177567 01/14/2017 10:46 PM
IKEWESSON Offline
The challenge. ..took antelope with s&w 44...bear with F.A. 454 casull...now switch ing to 10mm Glock 20.

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: KRal] #177574 01/15/2017 12:51 AM
Seminole Wind Offline
addict
addict
I don't know why I love handguns like I do. Photos of me at one yoa show me holding a toy pistol, so I've loved them all my life. My father, a county Sheriff, let me shoot a turtle off a log with a .22 pistol when I was six, and I've been hooked since then. Handguns for deer hunting became legal in Georgia in 1978 and I killed a spike with a S&W M29 that year. Last year I killed my 120th deer with a Contender 309 JDJ. Next season's handgun, a FA 10" 454, is in transit to me via US Mail right now and I can't wait to take it hunting in October. I don't know why I love handguns, but I do!

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Seminole Wind] #177604 01/15/2017 6:59 PM
Dirty harry Offline
stranger
stranger
I've always been drawn to hunting handguns. Growing up, my dad was always a upland game guy. Shotguns and 22 were the rule. I loved reading articles by Bob Miek. Ross Seyfreid was also a big early influence and was responsible for the purchase of my first 45 colt, a Ruger Bisley.

I've always loved big-bore revolvers and around this time amassed a decent collection of 41s, 44s and 45 colt. Everything changed one random afternoon when I made my regular stop at Barnes and Noble and found "Handgun Hunting" by Mark Hampton. It was beyond words. Not long after that I bought my first Contender. My world has never been the same since!

I need to do more hunting and less reading about. But otherwise, life is good.

Last edited by Dirty harry; 01/15/2017 11:58 PM. Reason: Wrong book title
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Dirty harry] #177614 01/15/2017 11:51 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Where can I get a copy of "Hunting Handguns"?

Michael Joe Moore
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: REDHAWK1954] #177620 01/16/2017 2:06 AM
Dirty harry Offline
stranger
stranger
Sorry, wrong title.

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Dirty harry] #177630 01/16/2017 10:43 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
always liked shooting handguns. one day going to hunt an spot known be extra thick. decided to use my 44 Dan Wesson so it wouldn't get hung up as much. hooked from then on. still days i use a rifle or one of my muzzle loaders.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Zee] #177915 01/20/2017 10:51 PM
Buttermilk Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
What draws me to handgun hunting?

Well, handguns infatuate me, and have since I was about 16 yrs old. I like the way they feel in my hand. The challenge of shooting them well, and the sheer enjoyment and excitement of making a successful hit on game simply sends my emotion sky high. It is very very satisfying for me.

Regards,
Rog

Regards,
Rog
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Buttermilk] #177950 01/21/2017 4:19 AM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
The challenge, and the ease of carrying a pistol, and the feeling of accomplishment, when the game is down.

Charles

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: cherokeetracker] #177952 01/21/2017 4:24 AM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
Yep

Charlie

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: AK hgunner1] #178488 02/02/2017 6:36 AM
flipajig Offline
stranger
stranger
I started hunting with a handgun about 10 years ago up until then it was with bow or a rifle I preferred the Bow
My first handgun kill was a doe at about 17 yards with a SBH with my handload my next was a nice 8 pt with a Contender in 7-30 Waters at about 40 yards. My longest shot and kill was I wanted 300 yards but I'll take the 275 yards with my 7-30 on a Antelope one shot.
Last year I killed a nice 4x5 Bull Elk at 131 yards with my Encore in 460 s&w but I missed a Bear at 78 yards with the 460. There is such a thing called Bear feaver lol. I'm glad it was a compleat miss. I've also built a Encore barrel in 280 Remington added a Muzzle break and I'm shooting a Rifel scope on this one.
I've taken it out to 500 yards that's my new goal.
Flip

One shot is all you need
Aim small miss small.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: flipajig] #178492 02/02/2017 12:19 PM
Teep Offline
I blame it on Roy Rogers and the four o'clock westerns. Handgun hunting is much like fly fishing and airgun hunting, a special challenge to do it my way. I like the stalk and then being able to make a precision cast or shot.

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Teep] #178511 02/03/2017 4:05 PM
csherrill Offline
For me it had to have been the memories of my Dad. He started out teaching me the basics small game hunting. He wasn't a handgun hunter per say but when I was just starting he'd carry a handgun instead of a long gun so his hands would be free to help me. He would always end up bagging a squirrel or two with his revolver. Now it's something I enjoy whether I have my boys with me or am hunting on my own.

Last edited by csherrill; 02/04/2017 10:24 PM.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: csherrill] #178512 02/03/2017 9:45 PM
BlackhawkBama Offline
I love the challenge of getting close to animals and the simplicity of the sport. The cost of bows and all of the gadgets has gotten ridiculous. Just grab your revolver and shooting sticks and go hunt.

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: BlackhawkBama] #178514 02/04/2017 2:40 AM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
I can't even sum it up. Have tried several times since this post was started and every time I begin to type, I erase everything. It's just the way it is. There are no words.

~BT~
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Boartuff] #178516 02/04/2017 4:55 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Boartuff
I can't even sum it up. Have tried several times since this post was started and every time I begin to type, I erase everything. It's just the way it is. There are no words.

I know how ya feel, BT

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: s4s4u] #178522 02/04/2017 6:41 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I came late to handguns as the old man wouldn't have one around the house.Grew up shooting .22 rifle and shotgun for game.Got my first handgun at 22 yrs. old. Still love anything that goes bang, but I hunt with short guns. Some things you just are.

junebug
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: junebug] #178533 02/05/2017 12:42 PM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
As a teenager I loved reading about Elmer Keith and Jeff Cooper.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: wheeler45] #178580 02/07/2017 10:50 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
I came to it for the challenge.

After many years archery hunting, hunting with a rifle didn't seem all that difficult. In PA the woods are thick enough that if you happen to see a deer, they are pretty much in rifle range. Bang/flop.

Handgun hunting is more like archery. You have to pay attention to the smallest details. Watch your scent, stay still, if you have to move, move slower. I find it more exciting than peering through a 9X scope at a deer who has no idea that I am there and whacking it from the next zip code.

I would rather hunt with a handgun and go home without a deer than take my .270 out for pretty much a shooting gallery type hunt.

Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: Teep] #178719 02/11/2017 11:15 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Teep
I blame it on Roy Rogers and the four o'clock westerns.

Lone Ranger for me......."Hi Ho Silver...Away"

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: What draws you to hunting with a handgun? [Re: rob-c] #178808 02/14/2017 12:08 PM
GG Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have always liked hunting with "different weapons" and picking up a rifle hasn't been as fun for me in years but I love the craftsmanship in a good firearm. I used a bow for years but now that my career and life in in full swing, kids and everything else that comes with it, I have limited field time. I wanted to expand my range and success more then with a bow but still not use a rifle. Now I find a good purpose built and designed handgun far more interesting and entertaining to take into the field then a rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod