Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: sixshot] #190442 03/15/2018 3:45 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
This is a good discussion & I hope more join in. There are so many variables when shooting real live game that it's hard to put a definite answer up on exactly what's going to happen once the bullet makes contact with the animal. The construction of the bullet, the velocity, the distance, the angle & of course the size of the animal & where it's hit.
None of these things things can be totally controlled in the field although we always try. Many times these discussions go straight to the top, the very biggest animals & when that happens you narrow bullet selection down to only 3-4 premium bullets, period. Of course others will work, just like a 9mm will kill a Grizzly in Alaska or a 22 LR will kill a Black Bear.
If we drop down to the main stream of big game hunting with a six gun in North America then we allow a lot of different bullets to come into play & that's where most of us hang out.
Probably 75% of the game taken by lower 48 six gunners is deer, either muleys or white tails. The other 25% would be hogs,
exotics, pronghorn, bears, elk, lions & moose. Maybe I've missed something but that pretty much covers most of it.
For these animals "most" bullets of 250 grs or above will handle anything mentioned with proper bullet placement.
I've taken all of the animals above & in 50 years I've recovered exactly ONE bullet. Speaking of my own experience I'll say if there's one place where guys can go wrong it's with velocity. That is they tend to over drive a bullet beyond it's design limits & the bullet lets go.
This is just my experience, some one else may see it different, no problem. A six gun doesn't need top end velocity to kill big game at 40-50-60 yds with good shot placement. For me that's mostly been heart/lungs but sometimes shoulders because here in the west you seldom get a flat broadside shot. It's usually uphill or downhill or at an angle, not much flat ground in the western US.
Bullet seperations, bent bullets, over expansion, bullet blow up, I've never had it, not even once & never seen it once from my hand gun friends, even on bears, elk & moose.
My only recovered bullet was this last fall on a smallish buck at 64 yds with a soft cast HP bullet, something that I seldom use. It was a 240 gr 44 & only 10 grs of Unique. I know that this bullet would have blown up if I have leaned on it hard at 44 magnum velocity but because it was much slower in my 6 1/2 Ruger OM flat top it did something totally unexpected, it stayed together for several inches. He was facing me almost straight on & I hit the big shoulder joint right on the point, this would have blown up a hot 44 HP without question. It went through the pulverized joint, one lung, the intestines & was laying up against the left hip bone & if I remember correctly weighed 85 grs. He covered maybe 15 yds, I was totally shocked the bullet penetrated that far because of the HP & the shoulder joint. The key was, I didn't over drive it. But we never know, that shot could have been 125 yds that day, I still would have taken it but a hotter load would have made more sense, or picking up the 10 1/2" 44 laying at my feet with a 4X Leupold & 21 grs of 2400 & a Keith bullet, nice to have options.

Dick

Yessir. Youre a smart man to run in the bullets range and not just load hot. Good results!

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: tradmark] #190444 03/15/2018 5:32 AM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Actually I think it's an advantage to load hot if the shooter & the bullet are on the same page. It's when the load is too much for the shooter (recoil) or the load is too hot for the bullet that things get out of whack.
Faster, flatter & hitting harder makes sense if the shooter is up to the task & builds correct loads, I've never stated other wise. I do question some one building loads they can't handle or using the wrong bullet at high speed, that's just asking for trouble.
Good loads & good shooting kills a lot of game with a six gun.

Dick

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: sixshot] #190447 03/15/2018 6:46 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
👍

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: sixshot] #190452 03/15/2018 10:44 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
Actually I think it's an advantage to load hot if the shooter & the bullet are on the same page. It's when the load is too much for the shooter (recoil) or the load is too hot for the bullet that things get out of whack.
Faster, flatter & hitting harder makes sense if the shooter is up to the task & builds correct loads, I've never stated other wise. I do question some one building loads they can't handle or using the wrong bullet at high speed, that's just asking for trouble.
Good loads & good shooting kills a lot of game with a six gun.

Dick

Well said, Dick. I think you hit the nail on the head.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Whitworth] #190456 03/15/2018 11:11 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
DICK (SIXSHOT) MAX (WHITWORTH): THAT'S IT, THE RIGHT BULLET AT THE RIGHT VELOCITY.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: 45MAN] #190470 03/15/2018 4:55 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
its so nice when everything comes together.....
;\)
;\)
;\)

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: tradmark] #190547 03/17/2018 1:56 PM
SacredCrows Offline
Great animal. And a awesome successful hunt.

There you go guys. That?s how you respond to something like this.

Not with the...in a nutshell.

What an idiot for using xtp....

Or how many times did the ph have to shoot it after you used a sub par bullet....

The horse named opinion is way too high in here.

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: SacredCrows] #190550 03/17/2018 8:08 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: SacredCrows

Or how many times did the ph have to shoot it after you used a sub par bullet....

THE POST OF THE 2 BUFFS WAS NOT DONE BY THE HUNTER BUT BY JAMES FROM JERSEY, AND WAS ENTITILED TO PROVOKE SOME COMMENTS RE THE HUNTER'S CHOICE OF BULLETS. I WENT BACK AND READ ALL OF THE POSTS AND ALL OF THE ONES INVOLVING MR. HUNT WERE APPROPRIATE. HE RECEIVED MANY CONGRAGULATIONS, BUT AT THE SAME TIME THE TOPIC DID PROVOKE COMMENT AND WONDER OVER HIS CHOICE OF BULLETS. I DO NOT DO FACEBOOK SO DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE FORUM THE TOPIC CAME FROM, BUT HERE I THINK WE LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT LOADS, PERFORMANCE, FAILURES AND SUCCESSES. IF EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER, THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO SHARE IT.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: 45MAN] #190551 03/17/2018 9:44 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I know that when I called James to tell him about this gentleman's kills, it was simply to say.....Damn, this guy killed two nice trophies with his revolver...the debate ensued afterwards ....previous discussions about 10mm's have nothing to do with this in my book....a 454 is and always has been a big game chambering

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: 45MAN] #190552 03/17/2018 9:47 PM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
its nice to give credit when credit is due....and two Cape buffalo taken with any handgun with whatever choice of bullet deserves my credit
....nothing more nothing less

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: tradmark] #190553 03/17/2018 10:00 PM
jdhunt3 Offline
I just joined the site and I?m the hunter, so please allow me to tell the story. Both buffalo were shot in Mozambique in the Zambezi River swamp. My initial plan was to use a heavy for caliber LFPGC bullet. Because these buffalo are rarely alone and typically in very large herds of 600 or so, the PH only wanted me to use expanding bullets. I spoke to Hornady and they recommended their XTP-MAG bullet as did Freedom Arms. Both said they?d shot plenty of buffalo with them.

I was far from convinced that this would be the right bullet, but they shot very, very well producing tiny groups at 125 yards. When I got to Mozambique, I loaded two XTP-MAGs followed by three LFPGC bullets as the load plan in the cylinder under the assumption that if the XTP-MAGs failed, I?d have solids for back up rounds.

The first buffalo was taken at 75 yards. I shot him square in the left shoulder and he spun 180 degrees. I shot him square in the right shoulder and he went down. I walked up to him and shot him with a coup-de-grace shot in the neck at 25 yards. I retrieved all three bullets. The two XTP-MAGs were found on the off side just under the hide. The LFPGC lodged in the neck. Here are the bullets:

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/npgvs75mjjfbr8k/Photo%20Jul%2004%2C%2010%2052%2025%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/img]

The second buffalo was taken a little closer and facing me. I shot him once on the point of the left shoulder with an XTP-MAG. The bullet was not recovered although it did not exit. We simply didn?t have time to search for it because we wanted to get out of the swamp before dark. We didn?t make it by the way.

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: jdhunt3] #190554 03/17/2018 10:13 PM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Jay. Thanks for taking the time to join HHM and letting us know exactly what happened with your Cape buffalo hunt.... Will look up bullet pics....
by the way...two beautiful Cape buff

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 03/17/2018 10:14 PM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: 45MAN] #190555 03/17/2018 10:13 PM
jdhunt3 Offline
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
VERY NICE CAPE's, BUT, IMHO, VERY POOR CHOICE OF BULLET, WOULD LIKE MORE INFO ON THE HUNTS, WHAT IT TOOK TO GET THEM DOWN, etc. BTW, NOT TOO MANY PLACES THAT YOU GET 2 CAPE's ON LICENSE, WHERE WERE THEY TAKEN?

They were shot in Mozambique in the Zambezi River Delta swamp. Please see the last post for more information on the hunt and why I chose the XTP-MAG (it was not my initial first choice, but given how well they performed I?m now a believer).

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: jdhunt3] #190557 03/17/2018 10:20 PM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist

Picture of Jay Hunt`s recovered bullets from his first cape buffalo...Shot with XTP`s was 75yds with cast bullet at 25yds to finish downed buff...,.

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 03/17/2018 10:22 PM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: 45MAN] #190558 03/17/2018 10:23 PM
jdhunt3 Offline
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
 Originally Posted By: SacredCrows

THE POST OF THE 2 BUFFS WAS NOT DONE BY THE HUNTER BUT BY JAMES FROM JERSEY, AND WAS ENTITILED TO PROVOKE SOME COMMENTS RE THE HUNTER'S CHOICE OF BULLETS. I WENT BACK AND READ ALL OF THE POSTS AND ALL OF THE ONES INVOLVING MR. HUNT WERE APPROPRIATE. HE RECEIVED MANY CONGRAGULATIONS, BUT AT THE SAME TIME THE TOPIC DID PROVOKE COMMENT AND WONDER OVER HIS CHOICE OF BULLETS. I DO NOT DO FACEBOOK SO DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE FORUM THE TOPIC CAME FROM, BUT HERE I THINK WE LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT LOADS, PERFORMANCE, FAILURES AND SUCCESSES. IF EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER, THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO SHARE IT.

Thanks for coming to my defense, but my feelings are not hurt. I was fairly concerned about the XTP-MAG too until I saw the buffaloes drop! BTW, I failed to add, no PH shots were fired. They were not needed.

Benefactor Member NRA; Member SCI; Director, Louisiana Chapter SCI; Master Measurer, SCI; Member HHI; Director, Louisiana Shooting Association, Inc.
?One can never miss too fast.?
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: jdhunt3] #190559 03/17/2018 10:39 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
JDHUNT: ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW ON THE SHOOTING AND THE BULLET PERFORMANCE. WTG, AND MANY THANKS FOR THE INFO.

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: 45MAN] #190560 03/17/2018 11:36 PM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
JDHUNT, welcome and thanks for coming to share you're story. I hope you'll stick around and make yourself comfortable. BTW, nice shooting!

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: 45MAN] #190561 03/17/2018 11:48 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Congratulations sir on taking two fine buffalo bulls up close and personnel with a handgun. Some fine shooting too under pressure.I have always believed don't try to guide the pro as he does this every day and his life is on the line same as yours.The XTP's worked well for you as he said they would, nicely done.
Welcome, and I don't see that you need much defending!

junebug
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: junebug] #190566 03/18/2018 12:24 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Congrats on the buff. Thats good shooting!!! Im glad those xtp?s worked better for you than my box did on the last corsican ram hunt i was on. Thats a great hunt for sure. What other animals did you take?

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: junebug] #190567 03/18/2018 12:28 AM
Coloradoyaler Offline
stranger
stranger
jdhunt3

Congrats on two great buffs!

My question on weather the PH shot or not was not meant to offend but was meant as a question! I apologize if it offend you or anyone else. It was not my intension. I am thrilled as I am sure you are the PH never fired. All too often you hear about Guides and PH's being to fast on the trigger.

I had one of the gunsmith at Freedom arms tell me the reason they quite making bullets or should I say selling them is Hornady was making a great bullets for their 454's. IE: 300 xtp Mag.

Sincerely
Mark

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Coloradoyaler] #190568 03/18/2018 12:35 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: Coloradoyaler
jdhunt3

I had one of the gunsmith at Freedom arms tell me the reason they quite making bullets or should I say selling them is Hornady was making a great bullets for their 454's. IE: 300 xtp Mag.

Sincerely
Mark

I KNOW FA SOLD THEIR BULLET MAKING MACHINES BUT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HEARD THAT IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE XTP MAG BULLETS.

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: 45MAN] #190570 03/18/2018 12:58 AM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Thanks for the report, great write up & it looks like you had a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Dick

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: tradmark] #190571 03/18/2018 1:28 AM
BRASF0311 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd like to say Welcome to Mr. Hunt and congratulations for the successful hunts and thanks for sharing the back story.

I wish I could provide some useful insight to bullet performance that hasn't all ready been covered, but I'm just glad to be able to glean a little of the wisdom compiled in this awesome post.

Thanks to all.

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Coloradoyaler] #190572 03/18/2018 1:46 AM
jdhunt3 Offline
 Originally Posted By: Coloradoyaler
jdhunt3

Congrats on two great buffs!

My question on weather the PH shot or not was not meant to offend but was meant as a question! I apologize if it offend you or anyone else. It was not my intension. I am thrilled as I am sure you are the PH never fired. All too often you hear about Guides and PH's being to fast on the trigger.

Sincerely
Mark

No worries. I understand completely and was not offended in the least.

Benefactor Member NRA; Member SCI; Director, Louisiana Chapter SCI; Master Measurer, SCI; Member HHI; Director, Louisiana Shooting Association, Inc.
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: tradmark] #190573 03/18/2018 2:04 AM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
What other animals did you take?

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: jdhunt3] #190577 03/18/2018 3:04 AM
Mech 8 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If I may inquire, at what velocity did you launch those XTP Mag's? Kudos on your accomplishments sir!

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: jdhunt3] #190578 03/18/2018 3:11 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Jay, what a great hunt and congratulations on the 2 wonderful Buffs that you bagged. Thanks for joining our forum. It?s a pleasure having an accomplished handgunner as yourself joining our ranks. Please continue to share your experiences with us.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Mech 8] #190580 03/18/2018 3:39 AM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Mech 8
If I may inquire, at what velocity did you launch those XTP Mag's?

a handload with a 300 grain XTP Mag bullet
over 30.0grs H-110 for a 1609fps MV..

PS-I posted this info until JH picks up on the site...

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 03/18/2018 3:54 AM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190585 03/18/2018 5:21 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Well, glory be!! You mean the Witch Hunt isn?t all encompassing?!?

Good for you. You must assuredly have experienced an anomaly according to some on this site.

I don?t think I am able to believe you. The internet says so.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Zee] #190586 03/18/2018 5:29 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Witch hunt, zee?i dont believe anyone ever said that bullet doesnt ever work. Many of us have had failures and its a discussion and always has been. You have some that have had great experiences, some havent. I dont believe anyone hasnt given proper comgratulations nor feels mr hunt hasnt had a couple of incredible safaris nor is belittling his accomplishments.

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: tradmark] #190589 03/18/2018 6:03 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I don?t think I stuttered.

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Zee] #190595 03/18/2018 1:43 PM
SacredCrows Offline
 Originally Posted By: Zee

Good for you. You must assuredly have experienced an anomaly according to some on this site.

Hahahahah

Perfect. High five

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Zee] #190597 03/18/2018 2:08 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert

Didnt accuse you of stuttering. Just misreading the intent and words others have written.

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: tradmark] #190598 03/18/2018 2:31 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
What an awesome thread!! Great story and pictures. Welcome Mr. Hunt!

THAT is what an xtp-mag is supposed to look like!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Raptortrapper] #190599 03/18/2018 3:20 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
First of all, congratulations on the exceptional trophies, Mr. Hunt, and welcome to the forum!

Folks here and everywhere will make their bullet choices on a number of factors. Successful use of said bullets is a strong motivator and convincing evidence your bullet choice is the right one. My beef with XTPs (Mag and otherwise) has come from multiple and spectacular failures during the Bovine Bash over the last two years. Then, Mr. Hunt exhibits clear picture perfect performance on two fantastic Cape buffalo. And herin lies the problem I have that boils down to one word: inconsistent. I hate inconsistency. Granted there are few bullets that deliver EVERY time, but I strive to find the one that will work like it is supposed to consistently. Simple concept.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: tradmark] #190601 03/18/2018 3:32 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert

Didnt accuse you of stuttering. Just misreading the intent and words others have written.

I was trying to be silly with that comment. Reading it back, now..........looks like I was being an ass.

Not my intent. Just meant that..........I meant what I said.

:fistbump:

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Zee] #190602 03/18/2018 3:36 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Gotcha. 🤙

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190603 03/18/2018 4:22 PM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
What other animals did you take?

I just hope that, in the future, Jay can take some time off and do some hunting

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: Zee] #190605 03/18/2018 5:22 PM
jdhunt3 Offline

LOL!

Re: cape buff vs XTP [Re: jdhunt3] #190611 03/18/2018 7:51 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
I agree this is one of the best threads we've ever discussed here on the forum. It shows once again that there are lots of variables in our sport & that one time a bullet can succeed & the next time it can fail, even if the animal is smaller than the one where it was successful, go figure!
Maybe it's the angle, maybe the point of impact, mostly I think it goes back to velocity, just my thoughts but I'll give my reason for it.
On this Buffalo hunt the first 2 shots were at 75 yds with a muzzle velocity of just over 1600 fps. Not sure of the impact velocity but you math majors can figure it pretty quick. Maybe, just maybe that had something to do with the success of those 2 shots, just my thoughts.
Going back to one of Max's replies earlier on using a 400 gr hard cast at the Bovine Bash, he said it blew up on impact at close range, I'm not really surprised that it did, that's asking a lot of any bullet that's not pure copper, etc. Again, here's another maybe, what if that 400 gr hard cast had been going 200 fps slower on impact, would it have preformed better, I don't know, you guys have a lot more experience on those big animals than I do, I have no experience on them but every bullet except for the big solids has it's limits.
An XTP at the muzzle might have blown up just like that hard cast but at 75 yds had slowed down to where it was within the design limits of that bullet.
All of this is just asking questions, but velocity plays a factor in how a bullet fails or succeeds & this latest thread has really been a good read, I've enjoyed it very much.

Dick

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod