Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting #191910 04/14/2018 1:28 PM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
What is it about handgun hunting and the challenges of it that got you into this sport?

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Franchise] #191911 04/14/2018 1:38 PM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
For me, rifle hunting here in eastern NC was getting boring. I had no problem tagging out in the first two weeks of deer season. Muzzleloading never appealed to me, and bow hunting lacked burning powder and recoil. I began handgun hunting with revolvers. My first hunting handgun was a 44 mag, but I quickly wanted more power (it's just a personal thing). About this time I read about JDJ and his single shot rounds. I was hooked....rifle power in a handgun...and the opportunity to prove the masses wrong.....you can kill with 1 shot from a handgun, and that's what I've been doing....big or small, 1 shot is ultimately all you need (that's my personal goal every animal, every time) 2 shots on a Water Buff (I mean on the ground dead, 2 shots) that disappointed me, but I'm a perfectionist I guess...that's me, what about y'all?

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Franchise] #191912 04/14/2018 2:30 PM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
It was partly like you Franchise, in that shooting with a rifle did not seem to be a challenge anymore. I still use them though. But the challenge was different in that I enjoyed carrying just a handgun and not toting a rifle.
Like you I do want the one shot drop. When this does not happen I am always disappointed.
Revolvers have always appealed to me more than any of the other pistols.

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Franchise] #191913 04/14/2018 2:34 PM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
I lost the excitement of killing game with a long gun, I always dabbled with hunting with a pistol, so 12 years ago or so ago, things changed, now it?s handguns only, Bowhunting was a big help, honing in on close encounters with game, getting close,also I can kill stuff at extended ranges, that?s what the single shots are for. The challenge, the sense of accomplishment, this disease has changed my life.

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: racksmasher1] #191915 04/14/2018 3:46 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
I got a contender with a 45/410 barrel for a canoe trip grouse gun back in the mid 90s. Around that time Minnesota changed their deer hunting regs to allow pistol use anywhere in the state (long guns are divided with shotguns in the flatter, open and more populated south and rifles in the wooded north). After a long absence from hunting, I started again around 2009 on some land in the shotgun country and was soon looking for better and more enjoyable options (This was also about the time that MN DNR did their lead particles in deer study and I got into reloading for affordable non-lead options). I ordered a BB 17hmr and a factory 30-30 and promptly fell of the deep end according to my wife. I wouldn't say I find contender hunting that much more challenging, rather they are different challenges then slug hunting and a LOT more fun practicing with a lot more attention to detail. This year I'm going to work a GP100 into the mix for the first time, but I will still bring the single shot to the stand for long shots.

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: karl] #191916 04/14/2018 4:26 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I started hunting and shooting with longarms when I was 6 years old. I started bow hunting at 12 and got my first ?official? job at that age, working at an archery shop. At 14, I took up handgun hunting with a 10.5? RSBH in .44 Mag.

I love guns. I love hunting.

Bowhunting has been sidelined in the last few years due to rebuilt and needing to be rebuilt, shoulders. Black powder, because I don?t have the time and the bug never really bit.

So, I?m still using firearms. Long and short. Shooting and hunting is a passion and challenging myself is easily accomplished with rifle or handgun.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Zee] #191917 04/14/2018 5:26 PM
longhunter Offline
addict
addict
I mainly hunt small game, squirrels in particular and have probably killed squirrels with every type of .22 rifle known to man. To the point of being bored to death with it. For about 15 years I hunted with nothing but flintlocks which is still a lot of fun but not the challenge that it used to be. Handguns seemed to be the next logical step. If this ever gets boring I guess I'll be hunting with slingshots and spears.

"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: longhunter] #191919 04/14/2018 9:00 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Living where I am I was never exposed to hunting and purchased handguns to shoot targets. A Python, Gold Cup and S&W m-25 in 45acp
were used to punch paper... Then...my boss asked if I would like to go deer hunting.. Said "I did not own a rifle only handguns"
he said "that's OK...Pennsylvania allows handguns"... So you see that I started hunting with handguns. Finally shot my 13th with a rifle just to do it...The photo shows the 1st animal I ever hunted... I think I`am one of a few guys that started hunting with a handgun and then shot a rifle to see what I was missing...I can tell you that a rifle is a lot easier to hunt with then a handgun...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey] #191922 04/14/2018 11:18 PM
rougerocco Offline
I worked at a gun range in high school, Didn't make much money but at the end of the day they would hand my friend and I a .357 Python and few boxes of shells. That started it all... was getting into hunting at that point. No one in my family hunts but me. So it has been a learning curve. Revolvers are my favorite but I would shoot anything with any gun!
I have a young son now, I am teaching gun safety and respect of the animals we shoot. I am also an avid bird hunter.

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: rougerocco] #191925 04/15/2018 1:40 AM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Rocky, hopefully you can make it to hunt with us next year at Salt Creek

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Franchise] #191934 04/15/2018 3:36 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I went to handguns later in my hunting career for the challenge but also to broaden my hunting arena. Colorado even had a handgun only GMU back in the 80's for a few years.

I will never say that rifles (or hunting with them) are boring or too easy; if you think hunting with them is too easy then come hunt western coyotes, my friend.

\:\)

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter] #191937 04/15/2018 5:43 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

I will never say that rifles (or hunting with them) are too easy; if you think hunting with them is too easy then come hunt western coyotes

Gregg, Been there done that.... still easier then a handgun
Had a 100 yard broadside shot on coyote in Nevada... scoped FA`s 454 on cross sticks.. Squeezed a little to hard and bullet hit just under and between front and rear legs... Would have been real easy with rifle...Hav`ent taken a lot of western coyote, but that`s some of my experience with them......a rifle, with its butt against my shoulder, is easier to shoot them instead of a "scoped revolver" for me...much easier

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter] #191941 04/15/2018 12:33 PM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I'm sure it's a whole lot tougher in the open plains of the west, but here in Eastern NC, a 150 yard shot on anything is a L O N G one..Thank God I'm a Southern Boy

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey] #191944 04/15/2018 1:34 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey

I will never say that rifles (or hunting with them) are too easy; if you think hunting with them is too easy then come hunt western coyotes

Gregg, Been there done that.... still easier then a handgun
Had a 100 yard broadside shot on coyote in Nevada... scoped FA`s 454 on cross sticks.. Squeezed a little to hard and bullet hit just under and between front and rear legs... Would have been real easy with rifle...Hav`ent taken a lot of western coyote, but that`s some of my experience with them......a rifle, with its butt against my shoulder, is easier to shoot them instead of a "scoped revolver" for me...much easier

Agreed. Never said it wasn't.
;\)

But boring or TOO EASY?
'Nope. Never with coyotes. Even though I have killed hundreds of coyotes with my rifles, it NEVER gets boring or TOO EASY!
;\)

I have also killed over a dozen with handguns; yes much harder of course.
\:o

PS: Or prairie dogs, for that matter! I have killed hundreds of pdogs with my .223 Contender. I made and posted a short video for Gary showing me killing a pdog; wonder if I can find it...

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter] #191946 04/15/2018 1:51 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
I grew up with a rifle in my hands. Started bow hunting in high school and still love that today. But...I use to work with someone who was a handgun hunter. And honestly, his excitement is what lead me to buying an Encore in .44 mag. The day I killed my first animal (whitetail doe) was pretty much the day I put rifles down. I've been addicted to it ever since. That was almost 20 years ago.

In the last 20 years handguns have become a borderline obsession for me. I even taught the CHL class here in Texas for 10 years.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Randy M] #191947 04/15/2018 2:04 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I have just always liked handguns of any kind.
I own rifles, and hunt, compete, and shoot them from time to time, but handguns always hit the spot for me.
I do a little archery, but black powder has just never tripped my trigger.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter] #191951 04/15/2018 3:42 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist

That's all I was saying you old cowboy....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey] #191955 04/15/2018 4:24 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Living where I am I was never exposed to hunting and purchased handguns to shoot targets. A Python, Gold Cup and S&W m-25

JAMES: YOU CERTAINLY BOUGHT GOOD STUFF EARLY ON. BACK IN THE 70's WHEN GUYS WERE LUSTING AFTER 29's ME I LUSTED AFTER A MODEL 25 IN 45 ACP/45 AR. A BEAUTIFUL AND FANTASTIC REVOLVER. I AM THINNING MY GUN ACCUMULATION BUT I PLAN TO DIE OWNING THE 25. I NOW HAVE IT SET UP FOR A 1,000 fps 240 WFN AR ("AUTO RIM", THE ORIGINAL "AR") LOAD FROM REED'S AMMO, AND EVEN LOADED UP SOME SNAKE SHOT LOADS IN 45 AR CASES USING 45 COLT SHOT CAPSULES FROM SPEER. A KEEPER GUN AND COMBO FOR SURE!

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN] #191957 04/15/2018 4:43 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
RE RIFLES BEING EASIER TO SHOOT THAN HANDGUNS, WHICH IS TRUE, HERE IS WHY I THINK IT IS TRUE: 1) DEER HUNTERS WHO SHOOT 2 OR 3 SHOTS A YEAR, IF THAT MUCH, OF ANY KIND OF RIFLE OR HANDGUN, REGULARLY BAG THEIR DEER, BUT GIVE 'EM A HANDGUN AND THEY WOULD BE IN TROUBLE; 2) THE FASTER THE BULLET LEAVES THE BARREL THE LESS EFFECT A SMALL ERROR IN TRIGGER PULL OR SIGHTING WILL HAVE; 3) IN MANY CASES THE RIFLE IS AN INHERENTLY MORE ACCURATE PLATFORM THAN A HANDGUN; 4) LOCK TIME (THE TIME BETWEEN THE TRIGGER PULL AND IGNITION) ON RIFLES IS GENERALLY QUICKER THAT ON MOST HANDGUNS, ESPECIALLY REVOLVERS, WHICH AGAIN LESSENS THE EFFECT OF SMALL TRIGGER PULL OR SIGHTING ERRORS; 5) USUALLY IT IS EASIER TO GET A BETTER REST, BE STEADIER WITH A RIFLE, ESPECIALLY IN FIELD CONDITIONS; AND 6) GENERALLY, A RIFLE WILL EXTEND YOUR RANGE OVER HANDGUNS.

RIFLES MAY BE EASIER BUT I STILL ADMIRE THE RIFLE SHOOTERS WHO WORK AT IT, PRACTICE, etc., IT TAKES MORE TO BE A TRUE "RIFLEMAN" THAN JUST OWNING ONE.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN] #191958 04/15/2018 5:22 PM
Teep Offline
I wanted a handgun when I was a kid but my Dad wouldn't buy me one. After college I purchased a couple of .22lr revolvers and started using them to shoot rabbits, squirrels, and groundhogs. After returning from the Army I purchased a Contender with three barrels; .22lr, .256 Win. Magnum, and a .44 Magnum. After all my guns were stolen and having a family I only shot long guns until a couple years ago when I again got a pair of S&W's to hunt with and self defense. I just always liked the challenge and also being easy to carry all day. I still miss the .256 Win., a lot of groundhogs fell to it.

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Teep] #191965 04/16/2018 2:40 AM
PsTaN Offline
addict
addict
I started hunting very young with my Grandfather in the typical "Southern Deer Drive" style. I've taken deer with shotgun, rifle, bow, blackpowder, and handgun over the last 35 years. My Daddy wasnt much of a hunter, but collected firearms and loved shooting handguns. He taught me to shoot.

I hunted hard and heavy for years with long guns, but it just got stale and boring. A few years back I decided to take handgun hunting seriously and havent looked back. I find no other type of hunting, even bowhunting, as exciting and challenging as hunting with a handgun.

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Franchise] #191966 04/16/2018 2:42 AM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
I started using my Dad's Hi-Standard to shoot rabbits when I was around 10. I bought myself an H&R 999 Sportsman when I was around 14 or 15 and used it for quite a few years for squirrels, rabbits, and pests. Then I switched to a stainless Single Six for the same. My first center fire was a Ruger Security Six in 357. I was living in Phoenix then, and shot lots of jack rabbits with it. Now I use a SRH in 44 and an Encore with 223, 357, and 44 barrels.

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN] #191970 04/16/2018 4:00 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
RE RIFLES BEING EASIER TO SHOOT THAN HANDGUNS, WHICH IS TRUE, HERE IS WHY I THINK IT IS TRUE: 1) DEER HUNTERS WHO SHOOT 2 OR 3 SHOTS A YEAR, IF THAT MUCH, OF ANY KIND OF RIFLE OR HANDGUN, REGULARLY BAG THEIR DEER, BUT GIVE 'EM A HANDGUN AND THEY WOULD BE IN TROUBLE; 2) THE FASTER THE BULLET LEAVES THE BARREL THE LESS EFFECT A SMALL ERROR IN TRIGGER PULL OR SIGHTING WILL HAVE; 3) IN MANY CASES THE RIFLE IS AN INHERENTLY MORE ACCURATE PLATFORM THAN A HANDGUN; 4) LOCK TIME (THE TIME BETWEEN THE TRIGGER PULL AND IGNITION) ON RIFLES IS GENERALLY QUICKER THAT ON MOST HANDGUNS, ESPECIALLY REVOLVERS, WHICH AGAIN LESSENS THE EFFECT OF SMALL TRIGGER PULL OR SIGHTING ERRORS; 5) USUALLY IT IS EASIER TO GET A BETTER REST, BE STEADIER WITH A RIFLE, ESPECIALLY IN FIELD CONDITIONS; AND 6) GENERALLY, A RIFLE WILL EXTEND YOUR RANGE OVER HANDGUNS.

RIFLES MAY BE EASIER BUT I STILL ADMIRE THE RIFLE SHOOTERS WHO WORK AT IT, PRACTICE, etc., IT TAKES MORE TO BE A TRUE "RIFLEMAN" THAN JUST OWNING ONE.

Very well put, and spot on.

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN] #191975 04/16/2018 7:59 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Living where I am I was never exposed to hunting and purchased handguns to shoot targets. A Python, Gold Cup and S&W m-25

JAMES: YOU CERTAINLY BOUGHT GOOD STUFF EARLY ON. BACK IN THE 70's WHEN GUYS WERE LUSTING AFTER 29's ME I LUSTED AFTER A MODEL 25 IN 45 ACP/45 AR. A BEAUTIFUL AND FANTASTIC REVOLVER. I AM THINNING MY GUN ACCUMULATION BUT I PLAN TO DIE OWNING THE 25. I NOW HAVE IT SET UP FOR A 1,000 fps 240 WFN AR ("AUTO RIM", THE ORIGINAL "AR") LOAD FROM REED'S AMMO, AND EVEN LOADED UP SOME SNAKE SHOT LOADS IN 45 AR CASES USING 45 COLT SHOT CAPSULES FROM SPEER. A KEEPER GUN AND COMBO FOR SURE!

Rey, Never took any game with my S^W 45acp but would shoot it in a meadow at some big rocks and was amazed how long it took those 230gr hardball bullets to hit... The 1000fps loads you have are much faster...A beauty of a handgun.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey] #191982 04/17/2018 9:15 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

That's all I was saying you old cowboy....

"My heroes have always been cowboys..." and I have done my time working and driving and rounding up cattle in my time, but I am a horseman, sir.
;\)

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter] #191985 04/17/2018 12:20 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
but I am a horseman, sir.
;\)

I am a Rifleman.......who likes handguns.

😁

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Zee] #191991 04/17/2018 2:26 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Zee
but I am a horseman, sir.
;\)

I am a Rifleman.......who likes handguns.

😁

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter] #192002 04/17/2018 10:38 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
I always wanted to be a handgun hunter, but the only handguns I owned were a .25 ACP that my Uncle brought back from his WWII stint in Germany, and a High Standard .22 revolver that I inherited from my Brother. I finally decided to make that a reality, and saved up enough money to buy a decent pistol. I visited a gun dealer friend of mine, who gave me a great deal on an S&W 6 1/2" Model 29 in 44 Magnum. It was a beautiful piece of the gunmaker's art with deep dark blue and reddish brown grips. I fondled that gun for two weeks waiting to go shooting. Then the movie "Dirty Harry" hit the local theatres. My gun dealer friend called and asked if I had shot it, and would I be interested in selling to which I replied No and No. He asked me to keep it unfired for a bit, and said that he would call me in a few days. It seems the movie's popularity had not only wiped out all existing inventory of blued S&W 6 1/2" Model 29s, but had also severely escalated the price of all other blued 29s. My dealer friend called and said he would double my money on the 29, and also make me a killer deal on an almost new Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. It was too good to pass up, so feeling like I was selling one of my Children, I exchanged the Smith for the Ruger and the cash. I knew that the 29 market was depleted, but on a whim, I stopped by the area Wal-Mart on the way home, and looked through their pistol selection (Wal-Mart sold pistols then, and so did J.C. Penney). The clerk asked if I was looking for something, and I half heartedly asked if he had any 29s hid out in the back. As a matter of fact I do he replied, but said I do not think you will want it, as he went to retrieve it. He returned with a large blue Smith & Wesson box, and my heart skipped a beat. He pulled out the longest, shiniest pistol I had ever seen, an 8 3/8" Model 29 in bright Nickel. I asked him what was wrong with it. He said nothing, but he kept it in the back because every body wanted to hold it because there were no blued 29s to be had and he could not get his work done. He remarked that they had even marked it down because it was not selling. I had enough left from my previous transaction to cover the price, so I brought it home. Since it was too pretty to hunt with, it became my target gun and the Ruger was my hunting gun. I wore the bluing off that SBH hauling it in my Blazer while waiting for an easy shot. I finally learned that I was never going to be a handgun hunter if I brought my rifle on the hunt. Shortly thereafter I received a certified letter from Smith & Wesson informing me that I was one of the sweepstakes winners of an all expenses paid handgun hunt to be held at the YO Ranch in Texas. Never hunted with a rifle since. So thanks to Dirty Harry, Wal-Mart, Smith & Wesson and the YO Ranch, I became a handgun hunter. Yes, I know it too long, but those of you that know me would expect nothing less.

P.S. I still have the Nickel 29, the Super Blackhawk, the German .25 ACP, and the High Standard.

Last edited by Sawfish; 04/19/2018 7:15 PM.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Sawfish] #192006 04/18/2018 1:36 AM
PsTaN Offline
addict
addict
Sawfish ... that's a cool story!!!

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: PsTaN] #192007 04/18/2018 2:05 AM
wheelguns Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: PsTaN

X2

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: wheelguns] #192009 04/18/2018 11:10 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
SAWFISH: YOU LUCKY SON OF A GUN! THESE KIND OF STORIES ARE A GREAT READ.

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN] #192024 04/19/2018 6:27 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I was using a Rossi stainless 357mag, that I purchased for $180, (that should tell you how long ago)for years on white-tail when they came close enough, but out of range of my bowhunting style. Came across a fellow named Hal Swigget's writing and we exchanged a few letters and a couple of phone conversations and I purchased a SBH in 44mag and the rest is history. Picked up a 45colt in my mid 20s and that's a love affair that will never go away. I've shot and owned multiple calibers of all kinds but always drift back to the 45colt.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: wheelguns] #192026 04/19/2018 7:16 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Thanks, Guys.

Patron Member NRA;
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN] #192027 04/19/2018 7:20 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
SAWFISH: YOU LUCKY SON OF A GUN! THESE KIND OF STORIES ARE A GREAT READ.
Rey, Want to hear the story about the Raging Bull Professional hunter that I bought off a guy in south Texas?

Patron Member NRA;
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: PsTaN] #192028 04/20/2018 1:46 AM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: PsTaN

+1

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: ruger4570] #192029 04/20/2018 2:01 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
SAWFISH: I HEARD YOU ACQUIRED A 454 RAGING BULL, HOW DID IT WORK OUT?

Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN] #192033 04/20/2018 7:34 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
I put a J-Point on it that I had on hand, and ordered a Simply Rugged Sourdough holster on which I persuaded Rod to add some "ears" to protect the sight. Since they stopped bear hunting with hounds in California, the bear population is on the rise and the bears are becoming more bold/aggressive competing for food. I have not been bothered by them, but feel well prepared with the RB on my hip. Very accurate, and I can always club any unfriendly creatures to death if I run out of ammo.

Patron Member NRA;
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Sawfish] #192254 05/02/2018 3:36 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The following is a quote from "Hunting Elk by Handgun" by Gary
Marbut......"Hunting by handgun is not for everyone. If your family size and economic circumstances require you to optimize your chances to fill your freezer, handgun hunting may not be for you. If your ego and self-esteem require that you kill something every hunting season, handgun hunting may not be a good fit.
If the hunt is more important to you then the kill, if the outdoor experience motivates you more than bragging about a trophy, handgun hunting has a lot to offer. Certainly, handgun hunting is more difficult. The challenge is part of the attraction. If you don`t understand that, handgun hunting is unlikely to draw or reward you."

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Sawfish] #192255 05/02/2018 3:43 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Sawfish
I always wanted to be a handgun hunter, but the only handguns I owned were a .25 ACP that my Uncle brought back from his WWII stint in Germany, and a High Standard .22 revolver that I inherited from my Brother. I finally decided to make that a reality, and saved up enough money to buy a decent pistol. I visited a gun dealer friend of mine, who gave me a great deal on an S&W 6 1/2" Model 29 in 44 Magnum. It was a beautiful piece of the gunmaker's art with deep dark blue and reddish brown grips. I fondled that gun for two weeks waiting to go shooting. Then the movie "Dirty Harry" hit the local theatres. My gun dealer friend called and asked if I had shot it, and would I be interested in selling to which I replied No and No. He asked me to keep it unfired for a bit, and said that he would call me in a few days. It seems the movie's popularity had not only wiped out all existing inventory of blued S&W 6 1/2" Model 29s, but had also severely escalated the price of all other blued 29s. My dealer friend called and said he would double my money on the 29, and also make me a killer deal on an almost new Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. It was too good to pass up, so feeling like I was selling one of my Children, I exchanged the Smith for the Ruger and the cash. I knew that the 29 market was depleted, but on a whim, I stopped by the area Wal-Mart on the way home, and looked through their pistol selection (Wal-Mart sold pistols then, and so did J.C. Penney). The clerk asked if I was looking for something, and I half heartedly asked if he had any 29s hid out in the back. As a matter of fact I do he replied, but said I do not think you will want it, as he went to retrieve it. He returned with a large blue Smith & Wesson box, and my heart skipped a beat. He pulled out the longest, shiniest pistol I had ever seen, an 8 3/8" Model 29 in bright Nickel. I asked him what was wrong with it. He said nothing, but he kept it in the back because every body wanted to hold it because there were no blued 29s to be had and he could not get his work done. He remarked that they had even marked it down because it was not selling. I had enough left from my previous transaction to cover the price, so I brought it home. Since it was too pretty to hunt with, it became my target gun and the Ruger was my hunting gun. I wore the bluing off that SBH hauling it in my Blazer while waiting for an easy shot. I finally learned that I was never going to be a handgun hunter if I brought my rifle on the hunt. Shortly thereafter I received a certified letter from Smith & Wesson informing me that I was one of the sweepstakes winners of an all expenses paid handgun hunt to be held at the YO Ranch in Texas. Never hunted with a rifle since. So thanks to Dirty Harry, Wal-Mart, Smith & Wesson and the YO Ranch, I became a handgun hunter. Yes, I know it too long, but those of you that know me would expect nothing less.

P.S. I still have the Nickel 29, the Super Blackhawk, the German .25 ACP, and the High Standard.

Just read......A winner for sure......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey] #192270 05/02/2018 11:53 PM
rougerocco Offline
The following is a quote from "Hunting Elk by Handgun" by Gary
Marbut......"Hunting by handgun is not for everyone. If your family size and economic circumstances require you to optimize your chances to fill your freezer, handgun hunting may not be for you. If your ego and self-esteem require that you kill something every hunting season, handgun hunting may not be a good fit.
If the hunt is more important to you then the kill, if the outdoor experience motivates you more than bragging about a trophy, handgun hunting has a lot to offer. Certainly, handgun hunting is more difficult. The challenge is part of the attraction. If you don`t understand that, handgun hunting is unlikely to draw or reward you."

Truer words have not been spoken! Hi my name is Rocky and I love wheel guns...oh wrong meeting!
While I drool over some of the guns posted here Freedom Arms,BFR. I am a basic guy. If my Ruger gets it done I can't see spending the extra money. I would love too, but raising two kids and being in public safety its just not an option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod