Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Jeff460] #198873 04/11/2019 4:59 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I think that you'd definitely learn a lot by doing it yourself on game...

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Franchise] #198874 04/11/2019 5:21 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I killed my fair share of water jugs and phone books, but it IS different on flesh and blood...PM me if you are honestly interested in going to the Forum Hunt, everyone is welcome

Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Franchise] #198880 04/11/2019 7:11 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Hmmm, I've been gone a couple of days over to Boise & you guys have covered some ground without me! I did see 6 (six) dead badgers on the road driving over with 2 of my sons' to pick up a drift boat. Hate to see that, they deserve to be shot by me!
Anyway, a few observations, one is that a cast bullet at 1,800 fps isn't going to perform very well if it hits anything solid, they just won't hold up. Now if it's soft tissue you're probably ok but heavy bone will destroy that bullet.
I'm the one that mentioned Zinc, they will work & if the bullet is lighter go to a heavier mould if you like, that's pretty easy. The premium bullets are lighter for caliber many times. Anyway that was one of my secrets to attacking heavy bone & a 380-390 gr Zinc bullet out of a 480 would have surprised a few people. Even a lighter Zinc bullet from a 44 would surprise you.
On to the XTP's, on another forum just recently a guide or outfitter or perhaps a PH, can't remember stated that the XTP's were the perfect bullet for bears in the 44 magnum!! I'm going to say right now, I don't shoot jacketed bullets so I have no dog in this fight but I do know that many of you have much experience with all of the jacketed bullets out there & the XTP's get mixed reviews once the animals get bigger than deer.
Don't know why he would say that but he did. I have a lot of experience with bears & a 200 lb bear is much different than a 200 lb deer, the reason is a bear is more dense, short legs, more compact, etc. Plus a bear can be very dangerous.
Hit both correctly & they are dead, hit a bear wrong & things can get interesting, they are blink quick & if a fight breaks out you had better be ready. Use good bullets always.
These are good discussions, civil & common sense comments & I think we all learn something. Handgun hunting has came a long way in the last couple of decades & bullets has been perhaps the #1 discussion most times, good stuff.

Dick

Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: sixshot] #198888 04/11/2019 11:47 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Great Thread, Great Discussion, and a lot of thought provoking material. Hopefully this thread will encourage handgun hunters to try something new on their next hunt...remember you can't hunt from the couch and first hand experience is the only real way to see what works

Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Franchise] #198896 04/12/2019 10:29 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
Great Thread, Great Discussion, and a lot of thought provoking material. Hopefully this thread will encourage handgun hunters to try something new on their next hunt...remember you can't hunt from the couch and first hand experience is the only real way to see what works
.....All this talk about A Frames, I?m going to order some today to try them out.

Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Franchise] #198897 04/12/2019 2:13 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist

Amen to that!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Whitworth] #198911 04/12/2019 11:24 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Amen to that!

Yup

Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Raptortrapper] #198932 04/13/2019 10:00 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
166 posts! Whod a thunk it?
I appreciate all the input. Some was a ways off track but it was all good!
I have some 270 speers, some 280 swifts, and my good old heavy hardcast to experiment with. If anything notable happens with any of them i will let you know!
Now i just need to go play!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Vance in AK.] #198945 04/14/2019 4:18 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Have fun and keep us posted!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod