Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Africa Plains Game Hunt #199002 04/17/2019 12:13 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I'm in the preliminary stages of planning an African Safari (Researching Outfitters) and since it's in the off-season, hopefully this will spark some conversation. I haven't nailed down exactly what I want to hunt yet, but do have several ideas. Being that I'll be on a poor-boy budget - I won't be able to hunt everything I'd like to. One of my thought's is a Spiral-Horn Slam: Kudu; Nyala; Eland; and Bushbuck. Other interest that are high on my list are; Gemsbok; Impala; Wildebeest (Blue and Black); Warthog; Zebra; Waterbuck; and Springbok. I wouldn't be against other animals of opportunity.

I'm interested in experiencing all the methods of hunting in Africa: Safari-style; spot-n-stalk; setting in blinds over waterholes...etc. I'm also planning on trying to video the hunt if possible - which I know will not be easy (my wife may take up my slack here). I'm primarily wanting to hunt with revolvers, but I'm not against carrying a single shot along. I have: 41 mag; 44 mag; 45 Colt; 454 Casull; 480 Ruger; and 475 Linebaugh calibers to choose from in revolvers. some of those are scoped, some red-dots, and some iron sights. In the encore platform I have 308 Winchester (2x7 burris)and 270 Winchester (4x12 burris) barrels.

With the given info, I'd love to hear recommendations/comments on outfitters you've used, recommendations on revolver/caliber, recommendations on encore calibers, along with bullets recommendations and preferred time of year to hunt.

I really value the veteran Africa hunters opinions here and look forward to a good discussion. Any helpful tips as far as getting guns into country or anything else I may have missed will also be greatly appreciated.

If there's bad experience you've encountered and don't want to post publicly, please PM me so as to steer clear of them.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199003 04/17/2019 1:03 PM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can?t offer any advice, except to read Billa?s three-part story on his African hunt. It looked like a great time. Other than that, enjoy every minute from Planning to returning and telling us all about it! Most of us will never make that dream hunt, so make the most of every second!

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: JDK] #199004 04/17/2019 1:53 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
KRAL: JUST A QUICK POST, 1) YOUR ANIMAL LIST IS FULL OF HIGH DOLLAR ANIMALS, 2) LEAVE THE WATERBUCK AND WILDEBEEST FOR ANOTHER TIME, 3) MAKE SURE KUDU AND GEMSBOK ARE AVAILABLE ON YOUR HUNT, 4) IMPALA AND WARTHOGS ARE AFFORDABLE AND USUALLY AVAILABLE IN MOST PLACES, 5) FOR PLAINS GAME WITH HANDGUNS YOUR OPTIONS ARE PROBABLY SOUTH AFRICA AND MAYBE ZIMBABWE, 6) HUNTING FROM PERMANENT BLINDS IS NOT "TRADITIONAL" AFRICAN, HUNTING FROM "HIDES" MADE OUT OF/USING NATURAL BRUSH, SET UP AS AND WHEN REQUIRED, CAN BE "TRADITIOINAL". 7) OTHER THAN USING THE OCASSIONAL HIDE, YOU USUALLY DRIVE AROUND AND CAN EITHER SHOOT FROM THE VEHICLE OR GET OFF AND DO SPOT AND STALK, THE LATTER BEING MY FAVORITE, 8) MANY OF THE OUTFITTERS HUNT OTHER PEOPLE'S RANCHES, AND MORE THAN 1 OF THEM, AND 9) THERE ARE GUYS HERE THAT CAN PROBABLY GIVE YOU GOOD REFERENCES, BASED UPON RECENT EXPERIENCES, FOR OUTFITTERS.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN] #199014 04/17/2019 3:08 PM
old colt Offline
stranger
stranger
Following this one closely.. I've got intentions to do the same in the coming few years time. Myself, I am most interested in Kudu & Gemsbok, maybe a Warthog, and possibly impala. That's as far as I got with my own list for Africa thus far.

Intend to do mine with my 41

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: old colt] #199015 04/17/2019 3:18 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Kim, If South Africa is your destination, there are many, many outfitters marketing hunts. And the prices for game in SA are the lowest I've seen in a number of years. At the SCI Convention, I will guess there are 40-50 outfitters from SA alone. Most offer good hunting opportunities.

Only you can determine which animals turn your crank. My suggestion -- sell a kidney, rob a bank (Just kidding!) borrow money, deplete the kid's college fund, or whatever it takes to shoot all you possibly can.

Take whatever gun/guns you feel most comfortable shooting. Depending on your location or animals preferred, your shooting distance may vary.

Fair warning -- Africa is addictive. I've never used drugs but they may have been cheaper than 29 hunts in Africa!!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN] #199016 04/17/2019 3:20 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
JDK, thanks for the read reference, but I?m afraid I probably read every article and forum ever written on handgun hunting Africa....lol. Just hoping to get a good compilation of info here.

REY, thanks for the quick spill. Any particular reason you not suggest hunting waterbuck or wildebeest?

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199018 04/17/2019 3:49 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Thanks for the advice, Mark. I'm intending to make what may be my one and only opportunity to hunt Africa, worth it. I'm thinking 6-8 animals, if possible.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199020 04/17/2019 4:17 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Good for you.... Wish I was going ? Get what you can. The last two times I went I had to have my revolvers scoped when applying for the permits. When I got there I removed them and installed the iron sights... The laws are always changing.. Go through a company like Air 2000...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199022 04/17/2019 4:25 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Kral, I think you are only allowed 2 handguns in South Africa, when I went you could take three. Also they must be scoped, can be a red dot, etc.
I wore a money belt with my money inside a plastic bag & the bag inside the money belt because of sweat. I also went to a SA bank & got one of each of the 5 SA bills so I could frame them. They have the big 5 animals on them, makes a nice "trophy" when put in a picture frame. Shoot a couple of extra animals, you'll be glad you did!!!

Dick

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: sixshot] #199025 04/17/2019 4:48 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
For PH. No contest. Andrew Renton of Keiriverhuntingsafaris.co.za. I've been to him my last 4 times. Quality of game unreal. Over half of animals are top 15. The worst is $35. My Cape kudu is #2. He loves handgun hunters. His prices are very reasonable. Polite, kind man that gets respect from all land owners and staff. Accomodations excellent. Has access close to 1 million acres of hunting.
My next trip will be with him.
I've taken 3 handguns on each trip. That's till OK. I take 2 XPs and one revolver with scopes. Never a problem.
Spot and stalk is Andrew's preferred method in the East Cape- no fences there. Backpack, BogPOd with PSR, and offhand shots are used the most. The African wooden tripods are not handgunner friendly.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: wvhitman] #199026 04/17/2019 6:53 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I have been extremely happy with my safaris with bobby hansen safaris. He has a great property in south africa. Huge and likely wont need to ever leave it. If he knows youre on a budget he will find you some older animals that habe lots of character at a great price. Got my last cape buff under 5k and shot blue wildebeest for 400 bucks. Hes got great book animals if youre into that. Most of mine were gold medal animals and would be in the book. None of the animals you listed require a solid and so i would bring a 454 with swift a frames running hard and a single shot in case you cant get in close on some animals. He will hunt anyway you want. Here would be my list on a budget. Gemsbok, kudu, blue wildebeest, springbok, blesbok, impala, eland, ad an nyala as you can afford. They are beautiful. Bushbuck are fine as well. Ad a red hartebeest in there as well.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: tradmark] #199027 04/17/2019 6:55 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Definitely consider Nyala!

I was also very happy with my outfitter, Tollie's African Safaris. He's very reasonably priced across the board, there is an abundance of game there, the food is off the charts fantastic, and he delivers.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #199030 04/17/2019 9:26 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
THIS IS GREAT NEWS KIM!!!! I'm so happy for you brother...Give em hell buddy

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Franchise] #199034 04/17/2019 9:58 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Awesome. Good luck Kim. Can't wait to see the videos. I've watched everyone of yours on YouTube.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Randy M] #199037 04/17/2019 10:19 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
In 2014 I did an Eastern Cape hunt with Andy Renton. Have to agree with WVHITMAN, he's a great PH for handgun hunters. He's a bow hunter and knows everything there is to know about how to stalk into range.

Whoever you choose as outfitter, make sure you use a meet & greet firearms permit service to walk you through the import process.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: wvhitman] #199043 04/18/2019 1:06 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Awesome Kim

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199044 04/18/2019 1:08 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: KRal

REY, thanks for the quick spill. Any particular reason you not suggest hunting waterbuck or wildebeest?

KRAL: IF A WATERBUCK ISN'T 30 INCHES PLUS IT IS JUST ANOTHER ANTELOPE, YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING A 30 INCHER ON A HUNT WITH A BIG HIT LIST ARE REMOTE. THE WILDEBEESTS ARE JUST GOOFY, SPEND YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING NICER, LIKE SPIRAL HORNS, OR A BIG, PRICEY SABLE.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Walkingthemup] #199045 04/18/2019 1:11 AM
Okie Hunter Online Happy
old hand
Online Happy
old hand
Good luck Kim.

With God all things are possible. Matt.19:26
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199050 04/18/2019 1:25 AM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
I am excited for you!

And I am looking forward to the pics and videos!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Okie Hunter] #199051 04/18/2019 1:27 AM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've not hunted them, but I like the look of the wildebeest. It would be a sharp looking mount IMO. That said, there are myriad beautiful animals in Africa. Why can't it be like the old days where you spend a year roaming the wilds and bring back hundreds of "specimens" !

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: wvhitman] #199052 04/18/2019 1:40 AM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
I saw Craig Boddington at an Annual NRA convention before I went over to Namibia. He was very helpful, and one piece of advice was really great. Wear your hunting boots over, or at least put in your carry-on luggage.

Your guns or ammo my get lost, but you can always borrow these. Same with clothing. I f lost can be replaced. BUT try finding a pair of boots that fit....good luck.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: ruger4570] #199058 04/18/2019 8:13 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Max, that Nyala is a beauty!

Ruger4570, that's some sound advice - thanks!

Trademark, thanks for the info. The 454 was actually my unspoken #1 pick - was just curious what other suggestions I might get. I'm not ruling out the proven A-frames, but I have good supply of 260 and 300gr Nosler Partitions that are wanting to play.

Which brings up another question - would the 260's over max dose of H110 be more desirable with the it's fast/flat shooting capability or the 300gr over max load of H110 with a little more weight and less velocity?

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199059 04/18/2019 9:43 AM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
I think either load would work fine but lean toward the 300.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Randy M] #199060 04/18/2019 10:40 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
300 gr....if Eland is on the list...300 gr

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Franchise] #199066 04/18/2019 4:49 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The eland I took was a big animal. For sure a 300... Otherwise for smaller plains the 260`s running fast will do the job. The last time I paid for hartebeest and buff but left Africa with a total of six animals..... Its amazing what you`ll see..

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199068 04/18/2019 10:26 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Trademark, thanks for the info. The 454 was actually my unspoken #1 pick - was just curious what other suggestions I might get. I'm not ruling out the proven A-frames, but I have good supply of 260 and 300gr Nosler Partitions that are wanting to play.

Which brings up another question - would the 260's over max dose of H110 be more desirable with the it's fast/flat shooting capability or the 300gr over max load of H110 with a little more weight and less velocity?

BETWEEN A 260 AND A 300, FOR AFRICA, DEFINITELY GO WITH THE 300. IF YOU HIT THE ANIMAL ITS YOURS, AND YOU PAY FOR IT, EVEN IF IT IS NOT RECOVERED, SO WITH REVOLVERS YOU BETTER NOT TRY ANY LONG RANGE SHOOTING, 100 YARDS MAX, CLOSER TO FIFTY A LOT BETTER, AND AT THOSE RANGES A 30O GRAINER WILL SHOOT FLAT ENUFF.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN] #199069 04/18/2019 11:50 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN

BETWEEN A 260 AND A 300, FOR AFRICA, DEFINITELY GO WITH THE 300. IF YOU HIT THE ANIMAL ITS YOURS, AND YOU PAY FOR IT, EVEN IF IT IS NOT RECOVERED, SO WITH REVOLVERS YOU BETTER NOT TRY ANY LONG RANGE SHOOTING, 100 YARDS MAX, CLOSER TO FIFTY A LOT BETTER, AND AT THOSE RANGES A 30O GRAINER WILL SHOOT FLAT ENUFF.

Exactly!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199073 04/19/2019 12:40 PM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Kral,
There has been a load of good advice posted here. Experiences from perhaps 100 handgun safaris. I have only been there once but it was the greatest! As far as animals go, everyone has their opinion of course but being on a limited budget what I did was prioritize. My dream animal was Kudu, then Impala. After that I was flexible. I shot a Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest and 2 Warthogs. These 6 made for a great hunt. There are many other affordable options- Springbok, Reedbuck, Bushbuck, Gemsbuck. As far as the hunt goes, we did spot and stalk. The mountain top Kudu Hunt was awesome. I really enjoyed stalking Warthogs. The hunting was in thick cover and it reminded me of deer hunting in the US.
If I go again I will likely use the same outfitter - EAI Outdoors - But you should check out the others mentioned before you choose. In regards to overall cost consider your taxidermy carefully. Taxidermy can exceed your animal costs. One of the reasons I chose my outfitter is that they have an on site taxidermist. They take care of everything and I was happy with the results.
Here are a few key items I suggest:
-Use a service to get your guns through at the airport.
-Wear your hunting boots on the plane along with other must have items.
-Carry on what you can. Use your hunting backpack and a briefcase for your personal item.
-Pack as much as you can in your gun box. Binoculars, knives, rangefinder. I removed a layer of foam and put some clothes in the bottom. Get a good case. Airlines try hard not to lose guns!
-I also put my guns in zipper cases inside the gun box for extra protection
-Take your own shooting sticks. I used the traditional wooden (bamboo actually) but I planned for it and took a clamp on brace that I made for wrist support. It worked great. I practiced with it on wooden sticks for a year to get it right.
-Use heavy bullets for full penetration on your largest animal. All shots are center shoulder. I almost took a facing head shot on a feeding Warthog but he turned at the last minute.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: billa] #199074 04/19/2019 1:14 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: billa

-Use heavy bullets for full penetration on your largest animal. All shots are center shoulder.

AMEN TO THE HEAVIER BULLETS, e.g, 300gr vs 260gr, AND AMEN TO CENTER SHOULDER! I SHOT AN IMPALA HEAD ON WITH A 375-06 JDJ, USING A SWIFT 250 AFRAME, AT WAY OVER 2,000fps, AND IT TOOK THE TRACKERS A LONGTIME TO FIND IT. MY EXPERIENCE WITH FRONTAL SHOTS IS USUALLY NOT TO MY SATISFACTION, WHILE MY EXPERIENCE WITH SHOULDER SHOTS, ESPECIALLY BROADSIDE, IS ROUTINELY EXCELLENT.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN] #199075 04/19/2019 2:20 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Good information, gentlemen! I had pretty much decided on what I was going to carry and what bullets i was going to shoot, I just wanted to spark some good conversation. So far - so good.
For revolver selection, my main gun is probably going to be my FA M83 454 casull with 7.5" barrel topped with a 2.5x8 leupold. Probably going to be shooting a 300gr Nosler Partition over a max dose of H110. Haven't totally decided on belt gun yet, but one option is my FA M97 with 5.5" barrel topped with a jpoint reflex sight shooting a 260gr Nosler Partition over 18 or so grains of 2400. Thoughts?

Bill thanks for the great pointers. I'll be thinking a while on the taxidermy aspect. Deciding between having it done in Africa and shipped back, shipping back hide and skulls to have my taxidermist do it, or have it shipped back and doing it myself.
I'd love to here the pro's and con's from several different members on this.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199077 04/19/2019 2:40 PM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
If your wife is going you could take another gun or 2 if you wish. When I went to SA it was a 2 gun limit and they were to be different cartridges. They may need to be in separate cases from the other 2.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: billa] #199078 04/19/2019 3:52 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
If your wife is going you could take another gun or 2 if you wish. When I went to SA it was a 2 gun limit and they were to be different cartridges. They may need to be in separate cases from the other 2.

That's something to think about! That hasn't crossed my mind, but very good idea. Thanks!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199079 04/19/2019 4:43 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist

That's something to think about! That hasn't crossed my mind, but very good idea. Thanks!

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199080 04/19/2019 4:50 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
KRAL: GOOD CHOICE FOR THE MAIN GUN AND LOAD, CANNOT COMMENT ON THE 2400 LOAD FOR THE MODEL 97 (IN 45 COLT I GUESS?). I BELIEVE THE TAXIDERMY IS BETTER HERE THAN THERE. WHILE LESS EXPENSIVE THERE, IT COSTS MORE TO SHIP MOUNTED TROPHIES THAN HIDE, HORNS AND SKULLS. IF YOU CAN DO YOUR OWN TAXIDERMY, AND KNOW HOW A PARTICULAR MOUNT SHUD LOOK, GO FOR IT, JUST BECAUSE A GUY IS GOOD ON WHITETAILS DOESN'T MEAN HE KNOWS HOW THE DIFFERENT AFRICAN ANTELOPES SHUD LOOK.

AS A FIRST TIMER, YOU MAY NOT KNOW WHAT A TROPHY ("BOOK") ANIMAL SHUD LOOK LIKE. THE GUIDES ARE IN TO SELLING ANIMALS AND IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH A NON-BOOK ANIMAL, THEY WILL PAT YOU ON THE BACK, TELL YOU "WELL DONE", TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES, AND YOU WILL END UP WITH THE EQUIVALENT OF AN OK YOUNG 8 POINT WHITETAIL ON YOUR WALL. BE CAREFUL, YOU SHUD INSIST THAT EVERY ANIMAL BE "BOOK" SIZE, AFTER ALL YOU ARE USUALLY PAYING THE SAME TROPHY FEE WHETHER IT MAKES BOOK OR NOT. NOW IF THEY TELL YOU IT IS A CULL, AND CHARGE ACCORDINGLY, THAT IS SOMETHING ELSE. GET THE SCI AFRICAN EDITION BOOK, IT WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT IS BOOK FOR EACH ANIMAL, WHAT TO MEASURE, AND I BELIEVE THEY STILL HAVE A HANDGUN SECTION FOR MOST AFRICAN GAME. FOR YOUR TRIP COPY A FEW PAGES OUT OF THE BOOK FOR ANY ANIMAL YOU MAY WISH TO TRY AND TAKE, MAKES FOR A HANDY REFERENCE/STUDY GUIDE.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN] #199084 04/19/2019 7:45 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Rey, yes it?s 45 colt. The 260 NP shoots extremely well in that gun. I think within 75 yards, that combo would work well. Should be putting that bullet out around 1300+FPS from the M97. Thanks for the SCI reference suggestion, I may have to check that out.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199090 04/19/2019 10:13 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
That 45 colt will work ok for small stuff up close. These animals are tough and a marginal hit with marginal power makes for an expensive hike. Bobby hansen will only allow excellent examples or old animals to be taken. He almost would t let me shoot a 32? waterbuck. He knows after a few safaris i am truly happy with old worn animals with character so if theyre available then he will let me take them. He hates african buyers remorse. Every year he gets a couple 60? kudu. He has very very exceptional animals.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: tradmark] #199100 04/20/2019 4:08 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
That 45 colt will work ok for small stuff up close. These animals are tough and a marginal hit with marginal power makes for an expensive hike. Bobby hansen will only allow excellent examples or old animals to be taken. He almost would t let me shoot a 32? waterbuck. He knows after a few safaris i am truly happy with old worn animals with character so if theyre available then he will let me take them. He hates african buyers remorse. Every year he gets a couple 60? kudu. He has very very exceptional animals.

Thanks, Mark. Yeah, if the 45 got to play, it would be in an idea situation...i.e. on an Impala or similar sized and maybe sitting over a waterhole where shots could be close. The little M97 just doesn't play well with hot 45 colt loads - it gets really fussy, quick.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199101 04/20/2019 5:50 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Really, i always kinda wanted one but wasnt sure about how it did with the heavier loads. Thanks!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: tradmark] #199102 04/20/2019 6:30 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
Really, i always kinda wanted one but wasnt sure about how it did with the heavier loads. Thanks!

It shoots them well, but gets kinda lively. I've been shoot'n 250xtp's over 20gr 0f 2400 and it's manageable. It's just not as much to hold onto as with the M83.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #199109 04/20/2019 1:34 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Definitely consider Nyala!

I was also very happy with my outfitter, Tollie's African Safaris. He's very reasonably priced across the board, there is an abundance of game there, the food is off the charts fantastic, and he delivers.

Max, What?s the detail on the equipment used on this beautiful Nyala?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod