Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199110 04/20/2019 1:54 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: KRal
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Definitely consider Nyala!

I was also very happy with my outfitter, Tollie's African Safaris. He's very reasonably priced across the board, there is an abundance of game there, the food is off the charts fantastic, and he delivers.

Max, What?s the detail on the equipment used on this beautiful Nyala?

Thank you. BFR in .454 with a 6 1/2-inch barrel. It was topped with a fixed 4x Leupold scope (I removed it right after this hunt and mounted an Ultradot as the 4x was too hard to get on quickly for me). I was using Federal 300 grain A-frame loads.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #199114 04/20/2019 3:38 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Did you get full penetration with those?

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199192 04/24/2019 5:48 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I haven?t decided on an outfitter yet, but have looked at several on the www. I come across some very reasonable prices and some that are pricey! I?ve not fully decide on what I want to hunt yet, but I?m leaning very strong on a Spiral Horn Grand Slam: Eland; Kudu; Nyala; and Bushbuck with Impala and Zebra maybe as targets of opportunity. Leaning in this direction, I?m probably taking my FA 454 stoked with a 300gr Nosler Partition or A-Frame pushed with a healthy dose of H110. That will cover anything within 100 yards and I hope to take all with a revolver.....but, this will be my first trip to Africa, so I?m prolly carrying along a ?Crutch? just to be safe. As stated before, I have encore barrels in 308 win and 270 win. Both shoot well. The 308 has a 2x7 Burris and the 270 has a 4x12 Burris with arrestor brake. The 308 can obviously handle the heavier weight bullets, but will that be necessary with the game at hand?
Which caliber, what bullet, and why, would you choose? I?ve always used Nosler Ballistic tips for whitetail and they work very well for me, but I think a better constructed bullet is merited here.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199198 04/24/2019 8:36 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
KRAL: CRUTCHES MAKE YOU A CRIPPLE, REVOLVER IT ALL THE WAY! MY EXPERIENCE IN AFRICA IS THAT A 454 KILLS ABOUT THE SAME AS A 300 WIN MAG, WITH PREMIUM 180gr - 200gr BULLETS, OUT OF A RIFLE, YOUR 308 AND 270 OUT OF AN ENCORE PISTOL WUD BE BIG STEPS DOWN, NOT A STEP UP.

Last edited by 45MAN; 04/24/2019 8:51 PM.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN] #199203 04/25/2019 2:49 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
The analogy ive been told is that the 454 with 325 aframes kills like a 375 hh on african plains game. Mine run around 1630 fps or so. The ones you listed with the exception of the bushbuck will be easy to get with a revolver. Go to the right property and rhe bushbuck will be easy as well. Ive seen all of the above mentioned animals at 30 yards or less with the exception of the bushbuck.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: wvhitman] #199204 04/25/2019 3:43 AM
old colt Offline
stranger
stranger
Learnt something new again re-reading this thread.. handguns must be scoped for Africa!? You're kidding.

James; you say it's no problem to remove them once at the destination... so I assume it's a travel/airlines/enter to country stipulation more than something the outfitter necessitates??

Gotta be honest, I haven't got a single-one with a scope! Traditional iron-sight shooter myself. May have to go shopping for a temporary one to at least get into country tho by the sounds of it.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: tradmark] #199205 04/25/2019 7:11 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
The analogy ive been told is that the 454 with 325 aframes kills like a 375 hh on african plains game. Mine run around 1630 fps or so. The ones you listed with the exception of the bushbuck will be easy to get with a revolver. Go to the right property and rhe bushbuck will be easy as well. Ive seen all of the above mentioned animals at 30 yards or less with the exception of the bushbuck.

Good info, Mark. I know James has taken Bushbuck with a revolver, so it's not impossible. Topography and terrain will have a lot to do with it.

Rey, the purpose of the crutch wasn't necessarily for the killing power, but for the extra yard or two I could shoot if animals didn't cooperated with being killed with the revolver. You know sometime they're just hard headed.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: wvhitman] #199206 04/25/2019 7:18 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I've seen conflicting post within this thread on how many guns can be taken to SA and I'm sure both are correct to some extent.
Several have stated that only two can be carried, while Doc Rogers has been several times and carried three each time. So far I haven't found anything definite in writing and it probably changes with the wind. I also haven't talked to any outfitters yet. I'm hoping I will not be limited to two, because I'd like to take a backup/alternate revolver just for when murphy shows up.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199207 04/25/2019 11:50 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Good info, Mark. I know James has taken Bushbuck with a revolver, so it's not impossible. Topography and terrain will have a lot to do with it.

Rey, the purpose of the crutch wasn't necessarily for the killing power, but for the extra yard or two I could shoot if animals didn't cooperated with being killed with the revolver. You know sometime they're just hard headed.

BTW, I HAVE TAKEN 4 BOOK BUSHBUCK, ALL WITH REVOLVERS, AND IF YOUR ANIMAL ISN'T CLOSE ENUFF KEEP HUNTING (STALKING), THAT IS WHERE THE REAL FUN BEGINS.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN] #199208 04/25/2019 12:17 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN

BTW, I HAVE TAKEN 4 BOOK BUSHBUCK, ALL WITH REVOLVERS, AND IF YOUR ANIMAL ISN'T CLOSE ENUFF KEEP HUNTING (STALKING), THAT IS WHERE THE REAL FUN BEGINS.

Ya can't argue with that!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199209 04/25/2019 12:43 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I?m pretty sure you are limited to two handguns. It?s easy enough to find out. I agree with Rey, stalking close is where the fun begins - at least that?s why I do this.

I brought my .500 JRH for DG and the .454 for plains game, but either could have fulfilled both roles. I planned it that way.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: old colt] #199210 04/25/2019 12:46 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: old colt
Learnt something new again re-reading this thread.. handguns must be scoped for Africa!? You're kidding.

James; you say it's no problem to remove them once at the destination... so I assume it's a travel/airlines/enter to country stipulation more than something the outfitter necessitates??

Gotta be honest, I haven't got a single-one with a scope! Traditional iron-sight shooter myself. May have to go shopping for a temporary one to at least get into country tho by the sounds of it.

An optic (scope or red dot) is required for South Africa. Not sure about the other countries. I know a few folks who remove the optics as soon as they get to their hunting destination.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #199212 04/25/2019 2:57 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Now you can take two and some meet and greet will tell you only one handgun. I used and have used a few times now gracy travel and their meet and greet through customs is the best. One of the reasons i love a super redhawk because a red dot a scope and irons are always available and easily switched. I have night sights on mine and that way i can use a scope or reddot at a waterhole if it might be a longer shot and i take it off at night running around or going in after anything.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: tradmark] #199215 04/25/2019 4:42 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

KRAL: SOME NICE SPIRAL HORNS YOU NEED TO TRY FOR, A GOOD NYALA FLANKED BY 2 GOOD BUSHBUCKS, ALL TAKEN WITH HEAVY 45 COLT LOADS (454 EQUIVALENT), IN 45 COLT CYLINDERS, IN 454 FA REVOLVERS.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN] #199216 04/25/2019 4:58 PM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
My second gun for my SA trip was a Redhawk 44 Mag. Topped with a B&L 4x scope. It was a good open country option had my Contender broke down. I removed the scope when I got there and carried on my belt with iron sights. Since you are not a scope guy I suggest a no gunsmith mount with a red dot. I think the rational on the SA end is that you are bringing hunting guns not military or defense weapons. The SA police check serial numbers against your paperwork and look at the guns. Your only issues are in the airport or cities. While hunting iron sights should be fine.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: billa] #199220 04/26/2019 2:34 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I've taken 3 handguns on 9 Africa trips. Approved every time!!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: wvhitman] #199252 04/28/2019 11:23 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The planning for a hunt is half the fun, enjoy it!

I will be watching with interest and living vicariously as usual

So Much great knowledge and experience on this site. Its fun just to read the suggestions from everyone

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: BBwheelgunner] #199258 04/29/2019 8:11 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: BBwheelgunner
The planning for a hunt is half the fun, enjoy it!

I will be watching with interest and living vicariously as usual

So Much great knowledge and experience on this site. Its fun just to read the suggestions from everyone

Exactly! Which was the full intent of this thread - get as much input and compiled information in one place as possible.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199480 05/05/2019 3:54 PM
Arrowflinger Offline
stranger
stranger
If I can join the conversation. We are heading to South Africa in late August. My outfitter is Africa Maximum Safaris. Prices are way down compared to a couple years ago when my plans changed and I couldn?t make the trip. I will give everyone a report when I return. My fianc? and I were told we could take two guns apiece. We are taking two pistols. An XP in 6.5 Saum and an HS in 7 Saum.
I went over in 2005 on a bow hunting safari and some of the prices were the same or higher back then! Our trip will be all spot n stock and we are really looking forward to this trip.
KRal, no matter what guns you choose. Animals you take. Africa is a magical place you will never forget and will more than likely return too.
Derek. >>>???->

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Arrowflinger] #199481 05/05/2019 4:05 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Arrowflinger

KRal, no matter what guns you choose. Animals you take. Africa is a magical place you will never forget and will more than likely return too.
Derek. >>>???->

This sentiment I agree with 1,000 %!

Good luck to you, Derek. Look forward to a full report upon your return!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Whitworth] #199510 05/06/2019 8:41 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
KRal, As mentioned, when I went it was 3 guns & they had to be scoped but later when some friends went it had changed to 2 guns, scoped.
One thing you can do is borrow a long gun from your PH & shoot it after you get there if you need to, they will have plenty, trust me! My PH was packing a plain jane 308! I guarantee you will handgun everyone of them. Good luck buddy!

Dick

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Arrowflinger] #199511 05/06/2019 8:48 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Arrowflinger
If I can join the conversation. We are heading to South Africa in late August. My outfitter is Africa Maximum Safaris. Prices are way down compared to a couple years ago when my plans changed and I couldn?t make the trip. I will give everyone a report when I return. My fianc? and I were told we could take two guns apiece. We are taking two pistols. An XP in 6.5 Saum and an HS in 7 Saum.
I went over in 2005 on a bow hunting safari and some of the prices were the same or higher back then! Our trip will be all spot n stock and we are really looking forward to this trip.
Derek. >>>???->

Welcome!
have a great time!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Ernie] #199522 05/07/2019 3:12 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Ditto. Africa is just awesome!!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: sixshot] #199534 05/07/2019 4:41 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
KRal, As mentioned, when I went it was 3 guns & they had to be scoped but later when some friends went it had changed to 2 guns, scoped.
One thing you can do is borrow a long gun from your PH & shoot it after you get there if you need to, they will have plenty, trust me! My PH was packing a plain jane 308! I guarantee you will handgun everyone of them. Good luck buddy!

Dick

Dick,
I?m not sure I can shoot a rifel...or is it rifle...I?m not even sure I can spell it .😜

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199536 05/07/2019 4:50 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I?ve been researching a lot on the gun count and from what I?ve found - their laws state no more than four firearms which can?t be of the same caliber. I?ve also found that it doesn?t seem to be a law dictating scopes on handguns, but rather highly suggested to simplify the importing process. I will not chance my firearms being confiscated and they will be scoped. That being said, I haven?t researched any of the airline regulations. There may be some airlines that will not fly more than two handguns, which may be where the two handgun limit comes from.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199539 05/07/2019 7:48 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Exciting stuff Kim! Looking forward to see what you get squared away for the trip...talk with our buddy Darrell for his input on game, gear and outfitters

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: SChunter] #199553 05/08/2019 7:31 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: SChunter
Exciting stuff Kim! Looking forward to see what you get squared away for the trip...talk with our buddy Darrell for his input on game, gear and outfitters

Will do and have done😜

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Ernie] #199574 05/09/2019 4:29 AM
Arrowflinger Offline
stranger
stranger
Thanks Ernie,
I like this sight also. Derek >>>----->

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199648 05/15/2019 7:45 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Does anyone have a valid email contact for Bobby Hansen Safaris? I've tried his email listed on his website and the "contact us" feature with both giving me returned/error notifications.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199792 05/24/2019 8:48 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Does anyone have a valid email contact for Bobby Hansen Safaris? I've tried his email listed on his website and the "contact us" feature with both giving me returned/error notifications.

Bump.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #199814 05/26/2019 12:14 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
The one i use to contact him is bhsafari@iafrica.com. It worked for me last week.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: tradmark] #199816 05/26/2019 5:33 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
The one i use to contact him is bhsafari@iafrica.com. It worked for me last week.

Thanks, Mark. I?ll give that a try.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #200195 06/23/2019 4:34 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Well, I?ve been doing a lot of research on plains game safaris and have learned there?s hunts out there for everyone. Some are inexpensive, some are reasonable and some are ....well, WAY out of my price range. I?ve found some hunts that a seven day hunt, before trophy fees, cost more than a ten day hunt with ten animals trophy fees at another outfitter. If you haven?t researched the opportunities in Africa - it?s mind boggling! I?ve narrowed down my choices to about eight or ten outfitters so far. It?s still going to be about twelve months out before I hunt, so I won?t be jumping onboard any particular outfitter just yet. I?m still open to suggestions and experience.

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #200196 06/23/2019 5:05 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I think that wherever you decide to hunt, you should try out your decided plains game hunt gun/load combination in April in Ohio on our next Forum Hunt

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Franchise] #200199 06/23/2019 5:56 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
I think that wherever you decide to hunt, you should try out your decided plains game hunt gun/load combination in April in Ohio on our next Forum Hunt

If l?m able, I just may do that. So far, all of your dates in the past conflicted with work...work always gets in the way of everything!

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal] #200201 06/23/2019 6:46 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
It's all good buddy....it will eventually work out

Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Franchise] #200202 06/23/2019 6:50 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
David if you could also move Ohio closer to Texas, that?d be great.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Randy M] #200204 06/23/2019 7:44 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Brother, if I could, I certainly would

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod