Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap #199275 04/29/2019 8:40 PM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Every year I do my best to put on a group Forum Hunt. If anyone has ever done this, they knows the challenges. I just really enjoy meeting other handgun hunters and doing what I love to do...hunt with a handgun. I am no "collector" of guns. Each and every handgun that I have has taken game.
We have just returned from our Forum Hunt, and this year was a lot of fun. One of our goals on this hunt was for Rocky's son to take his first game animal with a handgun. Matthew was kind enough to volunteer the use of one of his Contenders topped with a red dot sight. We started Rocky's son off with a 22 LR barrel. After hitting a 10" gong repeatedly with the 22, we switched to a 357 Max barrel. Starting off with 38 Special ammo. Like a true sniper, Rocky's son was tearing the gong up....now.....time to go hunting..
As a group, we headed out to hunt. I was hunting a mature Aoudad Ram. We headed straight up the steepest hill on the preserve in search of my ram. This is not the hunt for someone without decent cardio...LOL.....we found the Aoudad Rams, but were constantly given the slip....Aoudad are vary wary, and never stop for more than a few seconds when alerted. Time after time, the Aoudad would bust me and give me the slip...up and down hills, run and gun...when I finally caught up to the Aoudad, it was difficult determining which ram was the largest one....they only gave us seconds and off they would run again. My shooting on this hunt was very amateurish to say the least..after two clean misses on a moving Aoudad, I connected on the biggest ram. Unfortunately, that too was a 💩 shot....I hit the ram in the gut with a 400 gr Woodleigh from my 500 S&W Encore at approximately 80 yards, immediately, he hunched up and bolted down the hill. He only ran around 40 yards and went down. This is where he stayed until I was within 10 yards of him. He then bolted up and busted up the next ridge, before going down again. I snuck within 40 yards of him. I placed another 400 gr Woodleigh FP in the middle of his back...on the video, you can see the "hair cloud" on entrance and exit. To my dismay, he hopped up and ran down the hill. I then gave my wife the single shot, and grabbed the Super Redhawk, and ran straight down the hill in hot pursuit. Needless to say, I tripped and rolled down the hill like a boulder.....hahaha.....when I gained my composure, I tracked the Aoudad to where he lay under a big oak tree along one of the trails...the big ram still had a blink so I put two 300 gr Fury RN Bonded Bullets into his shoulder.....the deal was done at this point......I was elated to have such a nice ram, but highly disappointed in my shooting....oh well, that's just how it goes sometimes..........I will let Matthew and Rocky fill you in on their hunts.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Franchise] #199277 04/29/2019 10:12 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Sounds like a great time with a bunch of handgun hunters. The animals are all spectacular. Sure hope to make one of the forum hunts one day.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Randy M] #199280 04/29/2019 10:40 PM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Would love it if you were able to Randy. You'd have a great time

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Franchise] #199281 04/29/2019 10:46 PM
rougerocco Offline
Once we arrived at camp (after my GPS send me down a ORV trail) We set up the shooting table and put Rocco on the pistol. He was drilling the gong pretty consistently. David who I had finally and just meet has us walk up the biggest hill(mountain where I come from) in the land. SO I am gassed once we make it to the summit! Aoudads and sheep running around, but not the shooters David wants. Back down the mountain/hill. After a bit we decide to have Rocco go get his hog we had glassed earlier. What get up on them and explain how it will work to Rocco. Like a well oiled machine, everything going according to plan. I told them once you give him the go ahead, that boy is quick on the trigger! Click! Bang! Flop! Next Day We go to the other mountain! at the top we find the monster of all Hogs! Sherri with a broken foot shoots this beast! Now its go time for Matthew and I. We find the Scottish Highlands at the bottom of the mountain/hill They start to walk away briskly, the guide moo's they stop for a second. I fire though I saw him hump up a bit. He keeps walking. Guide stops him again, second shot hits the mark. Double lung, third shot hits the heart and he goes down within seconds. Turns out I pulled a Franchise and clean missed just in front of the big boy! After Matthew down his Scottish Highland The guide asked Rocco if he would shoot a roaster hog for him. Which he gladly did, but he wanted to use his crossbow. Same set up, we get into position and wait for another hog to clear out. The guide said shoot just as another hog was charging by. Almost got a two for one!! Just in front of the charging hog. But that didn't bother Rocco. The arrow hit the hog and he went down. After the animals were hauled back to camp. We went out to shoot the guns. Trying out different loads at different distances. Rocco was dinging the gong up hill at 87 yards with the .22 and a Red Dot. I think we have a shooter! Ladies and gentlemen...
It was a great time and a BIG thank you to Matthew for the coaching for Rocco and I. David you are just plain fun to be around!!

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Franchise] #199282 04/29/2019 11:14 PM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
Let me start by saying that I enjoy these group hunts as much as any I go on. Everyone should at least consider joining a fellow handgun hunter at an event, whether it's free range, in a preserve, with members here, or elsewhere. Trust me, make the effort.

I go to Salt Creek for the friends, the campfire, and some groceries. This year was no disappointment in those regards. My target this time was a Highland bull, a worthy opponent of handgun bullets, and excellent tablefare.

My bull weighed about 550 lbs. I took him with my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44. As the thread rolls on, I will add photos and more details on the shooting and results.

And BTW, for those that question shooting a "cow" behind a fence...

Last edited by cmnash; 04/29/2019 11:34 PM.
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: cmnash] #199284 04/29/2019 11:28 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Been there. Did the ORV thing. Want to go back sometime for Zebu.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: cmnash] #199285 04/29/2019 11:31 PM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I just absolutely love this stuff!! Handguns, laughs, and friends.....there's not a lot that's better! Not to mention.....the food this YEAR was AMAZING!! Heather Nash makes a mean meatloaf and Rocky makes some damn good biscuits and gravy

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Franchise] #199287 04/29/2019 11:56 PM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
I think the real highlight of this years trip was 9 year old Rocco taking a hog with a handgun. Consider this, he shot his first animal with a handgun barely an hour after taking his first shot ever with a handgun.

Rocco and a proud dad

Rocco skillfully smoked this hog's lungs with a single round of .357 Max!

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: rougerocco] #199290 04/30/2019 12:17 AM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: cmnash] #199291 04/30/2019 12:20 AM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Looks like a great time. One year...

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Sawfish] #199295 04/30/2019 1:30 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
AWESOME JOB GUYS!!!!!

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: racksmasher1] #199296 04/30/2019 1:35 AM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Next year Jimmy, you gotta be there

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Franchise] #199302 04/30/2019 11:07 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
GOOD REPORTS, WUD LIKE A LITTLE MORE INFO ON ROCCO's 44 MAG HIGHLANDER BULL KILL, AND HOW THE FACTORY 300gr XTP's WORKED.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: 45MAN] #199303 04/30/2019 1:32 PM
Jeff460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Man would that be a GREAT time!!! I hope to pull it off sometime...

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Jeff460] #199306 04/30/2019 2:27 PM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
Kudu's to all. I hope I can join next year.

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Sawfish] #199314 04/30/2019 4:16 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Damned nice Aoudad. Your shooting was good enough to bring him to bag. "What is a Highlander Bull"?

Last edited by Sawfish; 04/30/2019 4:18 PM.

Patron Member NRA;
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Sawfish] #199315 04/30/2019 4:19 PM
rougerocco Offline

Last edited by rougerocco; 04/30/2019 4:20 PM.
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: rougerocco] #199317 04/30/2019 4:30 PM
rougerocco Offline

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: rougerocco] #199318 04/30/2019 4:33 PM
rougerocco Offline
Nice .44 caliber hole in the heart

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Sawfish] #199319 04/30/2019 4:38 PM
rougerocco Offline
 Originally Posted By: Sawfish
"What is a Highlander Bull"?

Highland cattle (Scottish Gaelic: B? Gh?idhealach; Scots: Heilan coo) are a Scottish cattle breed. They have long horns and long, wavy, woolly coats that are coloured red, ginger, black, dun, yellow, white, grey, "silver" (white but with a black nose and ears), or tan, and they also may be brindled. Highlands are raised primarily for their meat.[1] They originated in the Highlands and Outer Hebrides islands of Scotland and were first mentioned in the 6th century AD. The first herd book described two distinct types of Highland cattle but, due to crossbreeding between the two, only one type now exists and is registered. They have since been exported worldwide.

They are a hardy breed, having been bred to withstand the conditions in the Scottish Highlands. Their long hair gives the breed its ability to overwinter. Bulls can weigh up to 800 kilograms (1,800 pounds) and cows can weigh up to 500 kilograms (1,100 pounds). Their milk generally has a very high butterfat content, and their meat, regarded as of the highest quality, is gaining mainstream acceptance as it is lower in cholesterol than other varieties of beef.
From Wikipedia

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Franchise] #199321 04/30/2019 4:48 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Quote:
I am no "collector" of guns

Like that is a bad thing? 🤔

Congrats on the fun.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: KYODE] #199323 04/30/2019 5:47 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Besides david`s fantastic ram the real winner here looks like the young man and his one shot hog kill....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: jamesfromjersey] #199328 04/30/2019 7:50 PM
wheelguns Offline
old hand
old hand
Sounds like a good time for all. Congratulations

I agree with James, love to see the young ones get into the hunt.

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: KYODE] #199329 04/30/2019 8:18 PM
Franchise Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
There is nothing wrong with collecting guns. There are folks that actually hunt with their guns, and then there are some that never take their guns out of their safes or off their coffee tables to use in the field....sometimes written word makes things sound worse than it was intended. 😄

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: Franchise] #199331 04/30/2019 8:34 PM
rougerocco Offline
https://youtu.be/Ju8d4ek7NPc
Here is the link to the video of Rocco shooting the hog. He wants to be "Super Poplar on Youtube" So if you could give it a look and like it would mean the world to him!

Last edited by rougerocco; 04/30/2019 8:37 PM.
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: rougerocco] #199333 04/30/2019 9:13 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: rougerocco
https://youtu.be/Ju8d4ek7NPc
Here is the link to the video of Rocco shooting the hog. He wants to be "Super Poplar on Youtube" So if you could give it a look and like it would mean the world to him!

Great shot......

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: rougerocco] #199335 04/30/2019 11:02 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: rougerocco
 Originally Posted By: Sawfish
"What is a Highlander Bull"?

Highland cattle (Scottish Gaelic: B? Gh?idhealach; Scots: Heilan coo) are a Scottish cattle breed. They have long horns and long, wavy, woolly coats that are coloured red, ginger, black, dun, yellow, white, grey, "silver" (white but with a black nose and ears), or tan, and they also may be brindled. Highlands are raised primarily for their meat.[1] They originated in the Highlands and Outer Hebrides islands of Scotland and were first mentioned in the 6th century AD. The first herd book described two distinct types of Highland cattle but, due to crossbreeding between the two, only one type now exists and is registered. They have since been exported worldwide.
From Wikipedia

Thanks.

Patron Member NRA;
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: jamesfromjersey] #199338 05/01/2019 12:53 AM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Besides david`s fantastic ram the real winner here looks like the young man and his one shot hog kill....

Master Rocco certainly made us old guys look like fools...

The one shot kill on his hog probably also demonstrated the best bullet performance of the trip. We brought all sorts of gimmicky bullets to flesh test, but it was an old school semi jacketed hollow point that killed best. With lots of exposed lead, a scalloped jacket, and a deep hollow point, this is the very bullet that many claim is subject to over expansion and failed penetration. Yet, this bullet not only survived an impact near its 1870 fps launch, it offered adequate penetration while absolutely shredding the lungs. The recovered bullet retained a guesstimated half of its weight and came to a stop in the offside shoulder.

158 grain SJHP .357 Max

Just look at that lung blood.

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: cmnash] #199339 05/01/2019 1:36 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: cmnash

The one shot kill on his hog probably also demonstrated the best bullet performance of the trip. We brought all sorts of gimmicky bullets to flesh test, but it was an old school semi jacketed hollow point that killed best. With lots of exposed lead, a scalloped jacket, and a deep hollow point, this is the very bullet that many claim is subject to over expansion and failed penetration. Yet, this bullet not only survived an impact near its 1870 fps launch, it offered adequate penetration while absolutely shredding the lungs. The recovered bullet retained a guesstimated half of its weight and came to a stop in the offside shoulder.

158 grain SJHP .357 Max

The proof is in the pudding , congratulations Rocco!

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: cmnash] #199341 05/01/2019 1:50 AM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
...and now for the details of my Highland bull kill with my .44 SBH.

I loaded my cylinder with 320 grain WFNs by Reeds Ammo and 300 grain Speer JFNs;3 each, in alternate. Both bullets launched at 1200 fps.

I had every intent of getting close, placing my bullet deliberately, and making a one shot kill. I picked my spot, low and forward in the shoulder. All the shots were at about 30 yards. The first round I fired was a hardcast. The bull reacted to the shot by drawing up, but then began a slow walk. A 300 grain Speer was sent on its way, causing an immediate and notable reaction. The bull staggered, holding its onside leg straight out. The bull swayed and sagged, and I knew it was fatally hit, but I sent one more hardcast into the shoulder. The impact was visible, and my bull tumbled into the creek.

This is the only bullet I recovered. I believe it is the 3rd shot fired, the second hardcast. The base was in the offside hide, and the nose portion was in the onside shoulder where the shot was placed.

The Speer JFN got a notably greater reaction out of the bull. But truthfully, I couldn't tell a difference between it and the hardcast inside the vitals.
This photo shows the heart and a lung where two hardcast and a JFN traversed.

The 3 bullets were placed in the same spot, at similar angles, low and forward, angling upward through the vitals as the bull was uphill from me.

I was proud of this 3 shot group, with no more than 3 inches between all the bullets.

Compare that however to the damage done by two 300 grain XTPs from Rocky's 44 Mag in his larger bull.

The vitals are inverted in the pic. One through the heart, and one through the lungs. Look how much more damage and hemorrhaging the hollow points caused.

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: cmnash] #199345 05/01/2019 10:45 AM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Was the bullet a 158 gr xtp?

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: REDHAWK1954] #199346 05/01/2019 11:06 AM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954

l believe this was/is Remington factory ammo AND bullet..

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: REDHAWK1954] #199348 05/01/2019 12:52 PM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954

The .357 Max bullet came from a factory Remington load, yellow and green box with styrofoam insert,circa the late 80s or early 90s.

I think the 158 SJHP is the bullet available in bulk by Remington.

Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: cmnash] #199381 05/02/2019 4:12 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

158 grain SJHP .357 Max

I WOULD LIKE TO COMMENT THAT IMHO YOU CANNOT COMPARE BULLET PERFORMANCE OF THE SAME BULLET OUT OF A SINGLE SHOT, e.g. ENCORE OR CONTENDER, AND OUT OF A REVOLVER. SOME BULLETS WHEN FIRED TOO FAST OUT OF A REVOLVER ARE ALREADY COMPROMISED BEFORE THEY LEAVE THE GUN AS THEY ARE NOT UP TO GOING FROM CYLINDER, ACROSS THE GAP AND INTO THE FORCING CONE AT HIGH VELOCITY AND PRESSURE. FREEDOM ARMS USED TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS WHEN THEY MADE THEIR HARD BULLETS. IN A SINGLE SHOT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM PLUS YOU GET THE POSSIBLE BENEFIT OF INCREASED VELOCITY. THERE ARE JACKETED BULLETS, INCLUDING XTP's, THAT I WOULD CONSIDER FOR USE IN SINGLE SHOTS BUT NOT IN REVOLVERS. TO BE SURE WE ALL UNDERSTAND, MASTER ROCCO USED A SINGLE SHOT ON THIS PIG, NOT A REVOLVER.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Salt Creek Forum Hunt Recap [Re: cmnash] #199403 05/03/2019 1:41 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist

I think the 158 SJHP is the bullet available in bulk by Remington.

I still have half a coffee can of Remington 44 cal. 240gr SJHP`s that are good deer killers from my m-29 or Redhawk... I believe Gary also used them to good effect on whitetail.

Life member-NRA-SCI

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod