Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cape Buffalo Bullet [Re: sixshot] #210968 07/06/2021 8:52 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
I emailed the SAPS Central Firearms Registry about this issue. Their reply was:

"The Firearms Control Act, (Act 60/2000), does not specify what the minimum requirements for the length of a barrel must be, nor that the firearm must be fitted with optical sights. I am not familiar with any written document or instruction which regulates barrel lengths. However, the applicant must motivate the suitability of the firearm he/ she intend to use and for what kind of hunting he will use the firearm. He/ she will follow the normal procedure for the import of the firearm."

That being said, we all know that what should happen isn't always what does happen. I would strongly recommend using the services of Gracy Travel or similar company, taking the advice of your PH and having letters confirming the intended use of the gun being specifically for hunting.

Re: Cape Buffalo Bullet [Re: Franchise] #211137 11/19/2021 1:11 AM
bearskinner Offline
On the April trip, we used Gracie Travel, had Anne at Air2000 and her guys gather us up , run us thru customs, to and from. Customs pulled every gun, opened all the ammo, counted every round, matched the head stamped brass to the firearms. Wrote everything down in a ledger with copy’s of our SAPS permits. Pretty easy leaving SA.
Returning to SA in September/October we breezed thru, they barely looked at the firearms, and never looked at the ammo……… so you never know who is going to be checking and how through they will be.
Having both handguns scoped and 9”&12” barrels, I felt much more at ease. Many of my hunting handguns are 7 1/2” barrels. Maybe, it would passed thru un-noticed, or, it could have been confiscated, and myself detained. Neither of which I wanted to experience.
Is it a law? Or is it just a recommendation? I don’t know. I have no desire to tempt fate.

You cant shoot a big one, if you shoot a little one first.......
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod