I’ve been trying to work up a good hunting load for my S&W 460 XVR. I’ve been using my “homegrown” cast, powder coated 400 grain bullets, and getting extremely difficult extraction. I assumed that this was a over-pressure situation....though, I was well within listed load data. I also had velocities that were below book listed maximum velocities.....indicating I was below maximum pressures!
I measured and remeasured everything that could be measured....bore, cylinder throats, cylinder measurements end to end. I polished the cylinder “charge holes” (chambers) and throats, and bullet OD’s.....even sizing them smaller by 0.001”. Nothing seemed to correct the problem.....still having to drive the cases out via a dowel rod! I even tried different powders at starting loads....to no avail!
My wife suggested that I change to some newly purchased brass. This was about the “only” thing I hadn’t tried! I didn’t think this would make any difference, as I was using Hornady brass that only had about 3 firings on it.....1st firing was factory loads, 2nd firing was store bought bullets, and now my bullets! But....everything else has been tried!
I tried using my new Starline brass......the fired cases almost jumped out of the cylinder! 🤔 I’ve since stepped-up my charges, nearing maximum listed loads, and the cases are easily extracted! 😁
My guess, and it’s truly a guess, is that the Hornady brass has lost it’s elasticity (my term), and is not reducing in size after firing! Only after several firings with this Starline brass will I get a more complete picture. At this point, I’m just thankful that when hunting, I don’t have to continue to drive the cases out .....looking like a black powder shooter reloading his “smoke pole”!
Summary: It appears that sticking brass doesn’t necessarily indicate excessive pressures! This has been a first time experience for me! memtb
Last edited by Memtb460; 05/29/2021 1:24 PM.