Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? #211155 12/03/2021 3:05 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I've got a lot of ideas for hunting handgun projects, far beyond my ability to afford all of them. Y'all know me, I love to experiment. However, since this last round of shortages starting in early 2020, I've been repeatedly dissuaded from trying new things. For instance, I was seriously considering doing a 270 Encore build last spring as a long range handgun, but didn't follow through. I've also strongly considered some coyote hunting specific builds, but a lack of available reloading components puts a severe damper on what I would be able to do, unless it's a cartridge I'm already set up for.

I don't know, does anyone else feel this way?

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? [Re: Chance Weldon] #211156 12/03/2021 11:47 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Chance; the component shortage has affected everyone, some more than others, keep looking online daily, as far as new projects, 243, 30/06 Encore pistols,357 magnum in a Contender, the shortage isn’t going to keep me from what I love doing, I found primers las week online, $84 dollars a thousand

Re: Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? [Re: Chance Weldon] #211157 12/03/2021 5:48 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
Nice score on the primers! I had to limit my activities to stuff I have components for. Luckly, there is enough to keep my free time occupied for the moment.

I did do some digging in the reloading room and found a fresh box of LR Primers last week. Felt like early Christmas! With some extra primers around I can tackle the 25-06 Encore pistol barrel that hasn't grouped anything I have fed it yet.

Re: Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? [Re: Chance Weldon] #211159 12/05/2021 2:58 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Hasn’t really stopped me. Just made me more selective. Been experimenting a lot with different .45 Colt loads recently. And some .357 Mag.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? [Re: Chance Weldon] #211160 12/05/2021 6:45 PM
bearskinner Offline
Yes. I have 3 guns in the shop with custom builders, and parts shortages are holding everything up. I have another donor gun just sitting waiting…….. I have plenty of bullets, but not a huge assortment of powder to try different loads, plus I don’t want to run out of primers

You cant shoot a big one, if you shoot a little one first.......
Re: Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? [Re: Chance Weldon] #211165 12/07/2021 4:23 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Chance Weldon
I've got a lot of ideas for hunting handgun projects, far beyond my ability to afford all of them. Y'all know me, I love to experiment. However, since this last round of shortages starting in early 2020, I've been repeatedly dissuaded from trying new things. For instance, I was seriously considering doing a 270 Encore build last spring as a long range handgun, but didn't follow through. I've also strongly considered some coyote hunting specific builds, but a lack of available reloading components puts a severe damper on what I would be able to do, unless it's a cartridge I'm already set up for.

Why 270? Wouldn't 7mm better a better long range caliber, since the BCs are higher

Re: Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? [Re: jwp475] #211185 12/10/2021 2:22 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Chance Weldon

Why 270? Wouldn't 7mm better a better long range caliber, since the BCs are higher

Because my primary rifle up until I started handgun hunting was a 270. I just like the cartridge. Also, I should clarify that my "long range" in the field is 380 yards maximum in the Killing Field. May not be long to some of you, but that's a pretty far poke for me, and even a 15" 270 should be up to the task.

Additionally, it seems like some recent cartridge developments, like the 27 Nosler and 6.8 Western, may breathe new life into the .277" caliber. Maybe we'll get some new bullet designs out of it.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? [Re: Chance Weldon] #211188 12/13/2021 5:14 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Just finished my newest Encore barrel. I chambered it in 450N.E. 3 1/4”. I’ve taken it to the range once so far running .458 CP 460 grain and home cast 465gr hard cast. My chronograph battery was dead and I had no spares at the range so I don’t know how it’s performing yet but recoil is brisk but controllable. I’ve had the brass on the notifications list from midway for almost a year but nothing yet. I have 40 pcs of brass and that’s it. I’ve managed to scrounge up most primers except small pistol and Large rifle magnums. I’ve done ok finding powder. I should say I’ve done ok with finding stuff without getting ripped off. If you don’t mind getting ripped off there are plenty of low life profiteers on gunbroker. I’d like to get those guys down range. I’m more fortunate than many because I was still well stocked when this mess hit. I have put off my other Encore project which is a proprietary Wildcat based on the 500N.E. 3”. It is a pretty fair investment into the tooling so I don’t want to take a chance on not being able to get components. Especially for a barrel I really don’t need and will probably sell if I do get it done.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Have the component shortages stopped you from new projects? [Re: Chance Weldon] #211304 01/07/2022 4:21 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
It hasn't stopped me.

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod