Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope #211323 01/12/2022 12:37 PM
Ernie Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
This is my BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
I finally was able to draw first blood with just about a week left in the season.
I used the 140 grain Accubond at 2961 ft./s. I set the magnification between seven and eight power, since I expected a close shot, and wanted a greater field of view. I also checked my parallax adjustment as well.
The beauty of the country we live in is, you can see forever, but at times it can be challenging, because they can see you too. It took me some time to figure out how to be able to make the stalk, and him not see me. I had terrain (creek bottom) and sage brush in my advantage, but the wind was almost coming from my back, so I knew there was a chance that could create a problem.
I had to be exposed slightly for a short period of time, before I got down into the creek/draw bottom, but I was far enough away, and he was looking the other direction, so it was not a problem.
I shot this buck at 204 yards. I crawled around 150 yards and then stomach crawled somewhere between 35 and 50 yards to make the shot. I had an opening in the sagebrush to my left, and I had almost made it to the stage, when the buck started moving to my left. Since I was on public\state land, and in a little bit he was going to be crossing on to private land, it was time to get things done.
The gun is so capable of shooting so much further, but the stalk was fun.
I am looking forward to shooting the 160 class bullets out of this, and see how it compares with my 284 Winchester XP-100’s.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is a new shooter using the same XP and ammunition.
https://youtu.be/Ipryd46CK3g

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Ernie] #211324 01/12/2022 1:53 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Very nice lope!

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Ernie] #211364 01/19/2022 2:25 AM
Drycreek3189 Offline
My favorite animal to hunt, although most of them have been killed with a bow. Also ranks right up there with my favorite animal to eat and Wyoming is definitely my favorite state. I’ve lived in Texas all of my life but I wish I had moved to Wyoming years ago. Too old now !

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Drycreek3189] #211365 01/19/2022 11:35 AM
Ernie Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189
My favorite animal to hunt, although most of them have been killed with a bow. Also ranks right up there with my favorite animal to eat and Wyoming is definitely my favorite state. I’ve lived in Texas all of my life but I wish I had moved to Wyoming years ago. Too old now !

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

What part of the state do you live in?
I have lived in Spur, Panhandle, and Lubbock in the past, and my wife grew up in the Houston area.
Antelope are so unique, and their demeanor can be odd or funny-Really cool animals. They are not my favorite wild game to eat though.
Elk still gets the nod there.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Ernie] #211387 01/26/2022 2:45 AM
Drycreek3189 Offline
Originally Posted by Ernie

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

I have lived in Spur, Panhandle, and Lubbock in the past, and my wife grew up in the Houston area.
Antelope are so unique, and their demeanor can be odd or funny-Really cool animals. They are not my favorite wild game to eat though.

I live in East Texas near Tyler. Antelope and axis are a tie with me, but elk is on top I guess. Only thing is I’ve only hunted them once and only killed one. Really enjoyed hunting antelope though.

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Drycreek3189] #211388 01/26/2022 3:33 PM
Ernie Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

I live in East Texas near Tyler. Antelope and axis are a tie with me, but elk is on top I guess. Only thing is I’ve only hunted them once and only killed one. Really enjoyed hunting antelope though.

When you are not bow hunting, what handguns do you hunt with?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Ernie] #211389 01/26/2022 5:48 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
You taken anything longer than 1047yds yet? smile

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Dan B.] #211390 01/27/2022 4:11 AM
Ernie Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
Originally Posted by Dan B.
You taken anything longer than 1047yds yet? smile

No.
I have not killed any big game animals past 650 yards, since the time we spent together.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Ernie] #211417 02/03/2022 2:52 AM
Drycreek3189 Offline

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

When you are not bow hunting, what handguns do you hunt with?

I have several Rugers in .44 mag and a .41 Mag as well as a .45 Colt. but my newest acquisitions are a Bisley Hunter and a FA model 83 , both in .44 magnum. Long story, but I stopped bowhunting a couple years ago, had long term covid and just now getting back to handgun hunting. In years past I used a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 and a TC Contender in .375 Win as well as an Encore in .260 Rem. I still have the .375 but the others have gone down the road. I mostly hunt deer and hogs and I’m looking forward to some hog hunting in the near future.

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope [Re: Ernie] #211423 02/03/2022 3:21 PM
Ernie Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
Good luck as pick handgun hunting up again.

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod