Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Range Day April 2023 #212080 04/07/2023 10:44 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I got off to a great start today. I have not had a Range Day in a while. I thought that I had gathered up every thing that I would need.
I got to the Range and noticed that I did not have my Stapler to put targets up with. The one normally in the back hatch of my Wrangler as well as the one out of my Range Box were both at my brothers new and under construction house. We have been installing insulation using them.
The next thing I noticed missing from my Range Box was my Small Brick Butt Bag. It was still in my deer hunting gear bag.
Next up was my hearing protection. Again it was in my Deer Hunting Gear Bag.
Next up was my Spotting Scope and Bench Clamp. I left them in the shop.
I scrounged a stapler and used a larger sand bag under the butt.
I did get to the Range with Ammunition smile.

This was the first outing for the NEW XP100 in 22 Long Rifle.
I picked it up from the Gunsmith almost two weeks ago. The wind has been blowing hard every day that I am not working the last two weeks. Finally today it was down to ONLY 6 - 12 MPH. Almost Calm after the last few days of gusts to 40 MPH or more.
I started out with some high magnification glass on the XP100 to get a better handle on what it might be capable of doing accuracy wise.
I sighted it in a 25 yards using Federal Auto Match. It was zeroed close enough after the first four shots. I then moved the target to 100 yards. Again it took about four shots to get it on target well enough to shoot a group. I was rushed a little due to a Church Dinner this evening.

My target was a Pink 3" X 3" Post It Note, with heavy lines drawn with a Pencil making a cross in the middle.
I then fired thirty rounds of Federal Auto Match ammunition aiming at the targets center. No adjustment was made for wind. Most of the thirty rounds were in a 1.25" group just to the Left of the Cross Center. I had three a little lower and one higher. The rest out of the 1.25 Inch Group were Left. I am sure wind drift. Not a terribly impressive first group, but for Federal Auto Match the group probably was not all that shabby.
I was a little out of practice getting the 22 Long Rifle Ammo on the XP100's Loading Sled to start with. By the time I was done shooting, getting the round on the sled was a piece of cake.
If I ever get a Range Day with no wind it would be nice to see what she will do with some high end target ammunition.
The XP100 functioned perfectly.
The Dell Taylor Trigger set at 10 oz was very easy to work with. No complaints of sloppy linkage, or any other issues. This trigger is as nice as my high end target 22 Rifle. I am totally happy with it.

I am hoping for another nice Range Day Monday or Tuesday when I am off work.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Range Day April 2023 [Re: Bob Roach] #212081 04/08/2023 9:58 AM
K9TXS Offline
Pistol photos?

Re: Range Day April 2023 [Re: Bob Roach] #212082 04/08/2023 8:47 PM
Teep Offline
That's an impressive group for Auto Match. Give it a try with some CCI SV.

Re: Range Day April 2023 [Re: Bob Roach] #212112 08/29/2023 4:11 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I had another Range Day yesterday. The old XP100 is now set up with my Hunting Scope a Weaver Classic Extreme 2.5 - 10X. This is a 30mm Rifle Scope with fairly impressive eye relief on the lower power settings. We are starting up a Short Course Match at the Sportsman's Club. Guess who was put in charge of making this happen??
Who would have thought it, but I added both a Rimfire Handgun Division as well as a Centerfire Handgun Division.
I have been shooting the XP100 mostly at 100 yards. I did take it out to 300 the other day. I was hitting an 8" X 8" Diamond shaped plate about 1 out of 3 with a fair cross wind.
The Rimfire Divisions will be shooting on the 25 Bull IBS 50 yards Rimfire Target at 50 yards, as well as the 100 yard IBS target at 100 yards. I ended up dialing down 5 MOA to get on target at 50 yards. I set the ZERO at 50 yards, and dialed back up 5 MOA to check my 100 yard zero. I was starting to have extraction issues, so I took a minute to clean the barrel. I put a couple on a rock on the berm, then shot a group on a 5 Bull Target. The first three shots were not bad, but the next two went left. That sucked. Wind playing around.
It was getting late, and the wind slowed down or possibly stopped for a few minutes. I fired 3 more shots on another bull. My target had a 1/2" Black Bull in the center. The first two shots were dead in the middle cutting each other. Shot number 3 went Right a little opening the group up to what I estimate will measure just under .50. I did not even consider another two this time and messing up probably the best target I will ever shoot with this handgun up.
Not sure if I will be able to shoot the Match this Sunday, as I am running it. I believe the XP100 is ready.

Bob R

See You At The Range

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod