Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... #243 01/28/2004 2:08 AM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Iffin ya'll check the weather channel...you'll see a big nasty blotch crusing over SWPA. Well...that's hanging right over X-Ring, Stush, and myself! And wrecked my plans of getting my 30-30AI barrel from Stush.....again! Aargghh!! Snow is getting to be mid-thigh deep (I'm 6' tall) and looks to be letting up a bit...hopefully before getting crotch deep. Just put the finishing touchs on the driveway...for the second time today!

I have not seen the shooting range in weeks.......oh how I long for the smell of burnt Hodgdons!!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Dan B.] #244 01/28/2004 2:25 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Dan B I know of what you speak!! I left the house this morning at 2 AM for Clevland. Bad roads all the way. I hit rain in Salamanca and had it all the way to Cleveland. Talk about ICY!! Got reloaded at 3 PM and headed home with the snow just starting to come down. When I got to the northwestern strip in PA I saw 2 cars on thier roofs. Just north of the 90-86 split there was a tractor trailer over a bridge.

Days like this are no fun! I have reports that 90 is closed between Buffalo and Syracuse. The load I have on goes to Rome NY,(east of Syracuse) so I guess in the morning I'll take the southern route up that way. I'll be going thru Cortland, home of Redding reloading.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Dan B.] #245 01/28/2004 4:15 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
yuck! i hate that much snow. my trigger finger has a itch also, along with a itch to hit the coyote call a time or two.
i've had the dangdest cold for the past week, and so far the weather this winter has just plain sucked!

anybody feel sorry for me yet?

i was hoping for a coyote outing this coming weekend after i get done with these dang evening shifts. i just watched the extended forecast, and they were showing cold rain. that coupled with my son's basketball games saturday...... oh well, i hate winters like this one!

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: KYODE] #246 01/28/2004 4:41 AM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can handle the snow - usually. We just plow it and get it the heck out of the way. The problem with this weather is that we have been getting what the forecasters like to call a "wintery mix". That is PC speak for alternating bouts of snow and freezing rain. The end result is that below all the snow is a 1" layer of ice and it isn't going away any time soon.

Add to that the fact that the four wheel drive in my blazer went out last night for reasons unknown and it hasn't been a pleasant few days in SWPA.

Stush
Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Stush] #247 01/28/2004 11:37 AM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
The good thing about snow is that I've been loading like crazy! Actually got time to resize and prime all my .222 brass the other day...all 500 pieces! Got all my .44 Mag brass loaded...and would like to have another 200 or so pieces to load. All my .45LC and .41 Mag are loaded also. Now I may start cleaning a bunch of .38 Special brass (about 800 pieces) to load practice fodder for the RBH .357 Mag. My .357 practice load is actually a .38 Spec load anyhow and I have no other use for all that .38 brass so that will put it to good use.

ISPBS--Expert Level

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Dan B.] #248 01/28/2004 2:14 PM
Rupe/PA Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Dan B - I guess you won't be coming anywhere near the Canadota Lake area again anytime soon !?! Here in NW PA we got the freezing rain and snow mix yesterday and today we are getting pounded with the white stuff. I don't know how much we have received this year so far, but there have been two other 2 footers and it looks like we may beat it today. Saw a pretty sight early this morning at my corn feeder. A huge gobbler that looked like he had the entire broom, handle and brush, hanging from his breast. I'm about ready for some sunshine ! I'm sitting here looking at a new .375 Win 14 incher and really itchin' to try it out. Guess I could shoot snowbanks ! Wishin' for SPRING !!!!

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Rupe/PA] #249 01/28/2004 5:39 PM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
You are truly in the snow belt of PA...between Meadville and Edinboro there is more snow dumped than anywhere else in PA. It's still coming down here but rather light. Since this time yesterday we have gotten about a foot or so. When I get up that way I'll send you a note.

ISPBS--Expert Level

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Dan B.] #250 01/28/2004 6:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
161/2 hours to go 318 miles, but I did set a new record for cuss words per mile. It's not to bad around here you get out Bedford way on some of them 2 lanes, I don't think they know what a plow is. When I came out of Altoona toward Windber I was following 2 snowmobiles.

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... #251 01/28/2004 7:20 PM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
HAhahaha!! I know the feeling all to well brother!! I drive 800-900 miles per week on average and in some pretty nasty weather at times.

ISPBS--Expert Level

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Dan B.] #252 01/29/2004 2:50 AM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Must be getting old. Hate this stuff. WNY seems to be blanketed with more snow every day. Hope that lake freezes soon. Can't wait to get out and burn some powder. Where's spring?

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: magman] #253 01/29/2004 3:40 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Man are you guys trying to make me feel good that I am housebound or what? Yep Northerastern South Dakota got hit over the weekend also, even though not as bad as PA. We got 11" on new White Stuff Sunday. The worse past is it has been in the - 20 degree catagory every morning ever since. I cann't believe it but my Daughters car has started every morning so she could get to school. I would have bet anything that during this cold snap it wouldn't start when I wouldn't be able to get out and help her get it going.

Nope still can't make it into the basement to do any loading, nor to the Indoor Shooting Range to do any Rimfire Shooting. However the way the weather has been I have been content being in where it is warm and dry watching the Outdoor Channel.

Yesterday I did manage to do some minor gunsmithing on a couple of NEF Handi Rifles. Nothing major, just free floated the forends, added the rubber washers between the forneds & barrels, cleaned & polished the bores and mounted scopes.

The recooperation is going OK. I had the staples removed on Monday, and things must not be totally healed yet as the incision gets quite sore when I sit too long. Otherwise the therapy is going OK, and I seem to be getting stronger everyday. Being house bound during these weather conditions makes this a whole lot easier than if it was spring or fall.

Larry

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Larry in SD] #254 01/29/2004 4:04 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
glad you're doing ok, and at least getting to tinker with the guns a bit.
excellent time(if there is such a thing) to be out of commission for a bit to heal. has to make it easier to handle.

-20 ahhhhhh! i'd be inside whether, i was healin or not. i don't like the 20's above too much myself! i'd say it's all in what you get used to though. i'm a KY. sissy

Last edited by KYODE; 01/29/2004 4:05 PM.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: KYODE] #255 01/30/2004 4:11 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Thanks KYODE. Yep I doing ok under the circumstances. I am also glad I am sitting in here where it is nice and warm. I did have to work a little bit today, just phone duty. It never fails during one of these cold spells, we had a water main break in town this afternoon. Nope I am staying in here where it is warm and been phoning the various businesses keeping them updated on the water situation. The water main break is a block from my house and I have been watching those guys working in this COLD trying to find the break so they can repair it. Thay have dug 2 holes so far and have not found the break, however they told me a few minutes ago we will have water before morning (even if they have to work all night).

Yep I picked the RIGHT time of year to be on medical leave. I think I feel a hot chocalote coming on, and some nice warm covers over my bed.

Larry

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: Tigger] #256 01/30/2004 11:53 AM
mrcasull Offline
stranger
stranger
Tigger looks like you and I have something in common we have lots of snow here in western NY.

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....... [Re: mrcasull] #257 01/31/2004 1:52 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yes Sir mrcasull we do have some snow. The county has put a 10' blade on there large excavator in place of the bucket to push the snow back away from the raod. Thay have made some impressive piles.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod