Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another proud big brother moment.. #45553 01/22/2009 8:42 PM
ducks Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
From Monday and Tuesday! (Copy and posted from another site)

Well I just got back from taking my little brother back to meet dad. We had a hell of a weekend! Monday Dan picked up Michael on his way over to duck hunt and while the ducks weren't flying we still had a good time. I managed to kill one shoveler. I had a bunch of geese on our line and it just happened to have a sneakable ditch running right through the middle of the geese. Dan and I walked about a mile most of which was crouched over to sneak up on the geese. We shot and several fell down! Josh and Michael got a kick out of me chasing a cripple for about 100 yards to finish it off. The ditch wasn't good for them to try and sneak so we made it an older person sneak. Josh and Michael got to see some geese die though so I think they were happy. Here are a few pictures of Josh and Michael with the geese.

Josh and geese

Josh and Michael with geese

Michael with geese

After the goose/duck hunt we went into town and got some lunch. We went to my house and cleaned the geese for a guy that works for us and hung out a little while at the house. Dan wanted to go kill a meat deer so we headed out to my farm and got him to the stand. Originally Josh and I were going to deer hunt yesterday afternoon but Michael and Josh were having such a good time we decided to duck hunt yesterday afternoon too instead of taking Michael back home. We didn't shoot any ducks but they had fun watching the birds come in to roost (after shooting time of course). Dan shot a doe and brought it to my shop so he could clean it. We disposed of the carcasses and I headed home to get Josh packed up and ready to head to Meridian. Well fast forward to about 10:00 when we finally get on the road, I make it to Vaiden which is about 30 miles from my house and I am so tired I decide to call dad and tell him Josh is just going to have to miss school today because I don't think I would make it there that late. I turn around and we get home about 11:15 or so. Apparently the days activities wore out Josh too since he slept until about 11:00 this morning. We grab some lunch and I figured we might as well try and go kill a deer this afternoon. Get to the farm and I go to the same stand Dan was in yesterday because he saw 4 bucks out of it and I figured I will let Josh shoot one of them if they show up again. We sit there and see very little until about 4:30. A little background on the stand, it's on a road that runs through my woods. It is a private road we use when the roads are wet to get to the deer camp. Well the inevitable happens about 4:30-4:35 and a truck starts down the road. I grab an orange vest and drape it over the side of the stand so they can see we are in there and not come down the road. Well he keeps on coming, gets to the end of the road and turns around and comes back down, when he got to the stand he rolls his window down and yells "Sorry, I hope I didn't mess ya'll up" I was so pissed I just muttered "OK" to him. He shouldn't have been on the road in the first place but I wasn't going to ask who or why he was there. I am pretty sure since the farm next to us was working today it was one of his managers just riding but who knows. I tell Josh we'll sit there because you never know what may happen (even though I thought the hunt was ruined), about 15 minutes later the woods come alive. We see a doe several hundred yards down the road cross quickly, then a small buck ran across pretty quick too. I look behind the stand and there is a deer on an old logging road, I tell Josh and he eases around and sees it too. Then two more walk out and they have a lock on us. I am telling Josh to shoot the 1st doe that was in the woods (not on the road with the other two) well he is looking at a different deer and shoots. Drops her in her tracks! I look and see the one I told him to shoot still standing there so I grab the rifle and drop her too. A few high fives later Josh has his second deer and I have some meat for my freezer!

We load them up and head to town, take pictures and I cut the backstraps out since I am in a hurry. I take them to the processor and drop them off whole. We get on the road and I meet dad in Kociusko to drop Josh off and head back here. I am exhausted but had a great weekend.

Re: Another proud big brother moment.. [Re: ducks] #45554 01/22/2009 8:44 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
That is great, sounds like it was a wonderful time for all.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Another proud big brother moment.. [Re: Ernie] #45565 01/22/2009 10:06 PM
ducks Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks..

To whoever moved my post. I appreciate it. I didn't know this forum was here or I would have posted it here. Sorry

Re: Another proud big brother moment.. [Re: ducks] #45581 01/23/2009 3:31 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
AWESOME!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Another proud big brother moment.. [Re: ducks] #45584 01/23/2009 6:04 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Congrats, it sounds like you guys had a good time!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Another proud big brother moment.. [Re: pab1] #45586 01/23/2009 6:18 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Looks like fun!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Another proud big brother moment.. [Re: wapitirod] #45622 01/24/2009 4:29 AM
ducks Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for the kind words! I had a ball!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod