Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
News from downunder #70 01/19/2004 9:49 PM
Aussie Dave Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey there mates, Just thought l better pass my approval on the new site Gaz. Very good if a little confusing at first.Been watching a few of your news programs,boy are you guys doing it hard in some parts of the country with the snow and all. At present our average days are around 90 to 105 degrees so hunting is out of the question. I've used the time to play though. I just got my met. sil. load for the 41Mag worked out. Took John Taffins advice and are using 8grains of AP70 (Equal to Unique)behind a 210gn SWC. Supper soft recoil but also nice and flat shooting. The 257JDJ is back on a diet of 117BTs at about 2500fps and just over 1/2" groups at a hundred and my 309 is ready to chuck out some 125gn BTs. A mate in Tassie,Craig, has been using these out of his 309 and has been droping wallabies out to 400metres without a problem. It'll be interesting to see how they go on the deer. I've been playing with my 7x30 Waters barrel to try and get a load for that but with no real luck but DanB has suggested a load for me so l sat down last night and have done up a dozen rounds to try. If l can get this one working OK that will be my fallow deer load in Tassie this year. In May Craig and l are heading to NSW to chase some pigs then across to South Australia. Im going to try for a Red deer whilst Craig is after a Rusa again. I'm hoping to get one of JDs .338JDJ barrels over in time for this hunt but if not l'll go with the 309 and 165s. In the meantime Joan and l head of to the Hawkesbury River for a week on a houseboat according to her to fish and relax according to me to fish,relax and keep an eye out for goats on the cliffs along the river. A nice little white number to set of the black l already have on the wall would be nice! Anyhow enough from me for now. Catch you all later. regards Dave. david.pickford@shepparton.vic.gov.au

Re: News from downunder [Re: Aussie Dave] #71 01/19/2004 10:13 PM
Gman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey Dave,
I am presently using the Sierra 130 grain ssp bullet ahead of 34.5 grains of IMR 4895 and it shoots pretty good for me. I am 65 years old and my eyes and nerves are not what they use to be but I am shooting groups around 1 1/2 inches in my 7/30 Waters, Super 14 barrel at 100 yards.

Re: News from downunder [Re: Aussie Dave] #72 01/20/2004 12:07 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yes the weather is a might bit cool up here. I worked outside for 9 hours today. The temp only made it to 11 degrees F. The wind is the worst part, cuts to the bone. I think I'll put in for two weeks vacation and fly over and visit you.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: News from downunder [Re: Tigger] #73 01/20/2004 1:56 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
tigger ol buddy, i feel for you. i've done that before also. it's no fun. plus, i'm a sissy to start with. thank goodness my work is inside now. hot in summer though!
never satisfied

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: News from downunder [Re: KYODE] #74 01/20/2004 2:59 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Good to hear from you MATE. Yep it is COLD in the northern reaches of South Dakota also. Temps below zero the last couple mornings. The good news is I am house bound for another 4 weeks so as long as the furnace keeps working, I'll be nice and toasty.

Larry

Re: News from downunder [Re: Tigger] #75 01/21/2004 3:05 AM
Aussie Dave Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey there Tigger, Book the trip my man. March is the best time. Hot days, nights cool enough to sleep and in Tassie the Fallow deer season. Between Craig and l we have over 40 odd handguns and barrels so your selection is wide open. ( To hard these days to bring guns over here for hunting)We usually run long range TCs for early morning/afternoons whilst through the day we work the heavily overgrown gullies with our revolvers. Catch up again. Regards Dave.

Re: News from downunder [Re: Larry in SD] #76 01/21/2004 3:19 AM
Aussie Dave Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Larry, what a life! I just got a letter from the US and Australia Postal services re the .22 barrel asking if it was still missing. A bit slow these public utilities!!!!!
Dont suppose you have anything else to sell at the moment,especially a .338JDJ barrel? You really should sell me something else to help pay the heating bills. There again the more l keep buying the longer its going to take me to get to the US. Although l talked with Joan the other day and if I've got the time available she says I should just book in the flight and go even if l book up a bill on the Visa. Its tempting so l might look at times and when things are happenning to see if l can swing it. I want to attend the Varmint Hunters jamboree in Pierre (I think thats right) and l'd like to attend the HHI shoot at the YO ranch plus if l can get a ride and gun to use have a crack at some long range praire dog shooting. I'll look at the finances towards Xmas. If l dont do it now I'll find it to hard to get over there the way the governments are cracking down on tourists,especially gun owning one's. Keep warm mate. Regards DAve. :smirk:

Re: News from downunder [Re: Aussie Dave] #77 01/21/2004 4:11 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Yep our Government Officials at work. I sent them a return after you'd received the barrel. Evidently they didn't believe me or something.

I too would like to make it to the Varmint Hunters Jamboree some day. Pierre is only like a 5 to 6 hour drive from my house, but still do not seem to get there.

Glad everything is going good over there. NO I have nothing left to sell. Now is the time to start buying once again (when I get recovered from all of these medical expenses that is).

Larry

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod