Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ruger 22/45 trigger #83047 02/15/2011 3:15 AM
wtroper Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I bought the Ruger 22/45. I mounted an Ultradot L/T reflex sight on it. I sighted it in this weekend. Two issues --- the dot is so light that I cannot see it past 50 yds on a light background. #2 -- the trigger on this pistol is the worst that I have ever had in my hand.

Solutions -- #1 I mounted a Burris 2X on the pistol. Will send the UltraDot to the first person that sends me a PM asking for it and including a shipping address - I will pay the freight. That is what I think of this reflex sight.

#2 _ If anyone has a solution to the trigger on this pos (I hate a gun with a poor trigger), please share your knowledge. I know that "after market" parts are available for Rugers. Even though I have some Rugers, I am not a Ruger expert. My problem with them is that you have to finish building them when you buy them. I will spend the $$$ if I know what to buy. Thanks for your suggestions.

Let me hear from you.

PS - I am not a semi-auto guy. I own two others -- A Kimber 9mm (with a very decent trigger) and a Springfield 45 (that has had a lot of work done on it). In general I do not like semis.

Last edited by wtroper; 02/15/2011 3:47 AM.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: wtroper] #83051 02/15/2011 5:32 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
I just did a trigger job on a friends Ruger MKIII 22/45 last Thursday night on the table at the Indoor Shooting Range. I had him order the parts needed a couple weeks ago.

Basically you need two parts (provided you Ruger is a MKIII 22/45).

#1 is a Clark Custom Guns or Volquartsen Ruger MKII Hammer Bushing. This acomplishes two things. First it eliminates the Magazine Disconnect Safety. By eliminating the Magazine Disconenct Safety you obviously do not have to have a magazine in the gun to fire it (or to dry fire it for disassembly or reassembly). Secondly it eliminates one spring from the Hammer and reduces pull weight. Thirdly it allows you magazines to drop free when the mag release is depressed. The Clark Custom Guns MKII Bushing is slightly oversized and as such it requires tapping it into the hammer for a tight fit. I have not used the Volquartsen MKII Hammer Bushing so can not comment on it.

#2 you need a Volquartsen Target Sear. The sear for the MKI, MKII and MKIII are all the same. This sear does amazing things for the trigger pull. The geometry it slightly different on the Volquartsen Target Sear vs the Ruger Factory Sear so it totally changes the feel of the trigger pull while reducing the pull weight.

My friends Ruger MKIII 22/45 went from a rough, creepy heavy trigger, to a smooth crisp trigger with a pull weight of less than half of what it was from the factory. I did not have my trigger pull scale with me but the difference is like day and night.

I should also note on my own Rugers I also took a slight bit of engagement out of the Hammer Notch and polished it as well in addition to adding Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Triggers and the Volquartsen Target Sears. My triggers are super crisp at 1 1/2 pounds. I did not do any polishing on my friends Ruger MKIII 22/45, but rather just installed those two aftermarket parts.

Larry

PS IF I remember right my friend told me those parts cost him like $65.00. He ordered from Clark Custom Guns and Volquartsen. I did notice that Brownells has the Volquartsen MKII Hammer Bushing and Target Sear so you could order both of those from one place.

Last edited by Larry in SD; 02/15/2011 5:37 AM.

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: Larry in SD] #83057 02/15/2011 2:41 PM
wtroper Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks, Larry. Will get them ordered.

Reflex sight has been spoken for.

Last edited by wtroper; 02/15/2011 2:43 PM.

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: wtroper] #83062 02/15/2011 3:28 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I don't know if they make them for your particular gun but Wolff spring kits will lower your trigger pull .

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: wtroper] #83093 02/15/2011 10:19 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: wtroper
Thanks, Larry. Will get them ordered.

You are very welcome. I couldn't believe the difference in trigger pull weight and feel with just changing those two parts. A little polishing in the right places and a spring kit (the Volquartsen Target Sear comes with a new sear spring but I didn't use it in my friends 22/45) and you'll have a great feeling trigger.

Larry

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: Larry in SD] #83136 02/16/2011 1:51 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
The target Ruger's have a trigger adjustment way up front in the trigger. It is a tiny setscrew. Those without the screw do best with replacement parts. You can remove creep by reducing the sear surface but you can make the safety not work and will have to rework it too.
I have thought of drilling and tapping for the setscrew but have not tried it yet since mine all have them and I have not had a standard gun here for a long time.
Another trick is what I do with Colt type revolvers. I soft solder shim stock to the hammer to reduce sear engagement. You must use a copper iron so parts are not over heated. Never use a torch. Low temp soft solder should be used and only enough heat to melt the stuff. Now the shim stock can be filed for a perfect creep free let off.
Once creep is gone, the trigger spring is all you need to work on to reduce pull weight. I find the adjustment on target guns is enough without messing with the spring.
The easiest is to see if the gun has the target trigger first.

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: 430man] #83263 02/18/2011 3:53 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
The tiny set screw in the front of the trigger (accessable only when the trigger is removed) is the overtravel adjustment screw. It can be a real pain in the _ _ _ to set as it is sort of a trial and error deal.

I have the Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Triggers in both my MKII and MKIII 22/45. I prefer the Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger as they come slightly oversized and require fitting to the indifivual frame in regards to the width of the trigger in the area that fits inside of the frame. When fitted properly this all but eliminates the side to side play common with the Ruger Aluminum Factory Trigger. The Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger does not have the Pre Travel Adjustment Screw like the Volquartsen Trigger but does have an externally adjustable overtravel screw.

Larry

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: Larry in SD] #83315 02/19/2011 2:44 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Larry in SD
The tiny set screw in the front of the trigger (accessable only when the trigger is removed) is the overtravel adjustment screw. It can be a real pain in the _ _ _ to set as it is sort of a trial and error deal.

I have the Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Triggers in both my MKII and MKIII 22/45. I prefer the Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger as they come slightly oversized and require fitting to the indifivual frame in regards to the width of the trigger in the area that fits inside of the frame. When fitted properly this all but eliminates the side to side play common with the Ruger Aluminum Factory Trigger. The Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger does not have the Pre Travel Adjustment Screw like the Volquartsen Trigger but does have an externally adjustable overtravel screw.

Larry

I have adjusted the setscrews and both of my Mark II's are at 28 oz break and still have a tad of over travel that does not bother me. You might be right but it did reduce my pull and it is a big pain to get to.
It has been years since I had them apart but both guns are scary accurate and it takes nothing to pull the triggers.
It seems to me that the setscrew removed 100% of the creep. But forgive me if it has been so long I can't remember. I can only say I have zero creep.
I won Ohio state IHMSA with one of these with 57 out of 60 and the gun was new with no sight settings. My spotter seen the misses on the first pig, turkey and ram. and I hit all the chicken shoot off targets at 100 yards.
I was using the first WW Wildcat ammo that has since gone to pot. Now the CCI, Blue Tag, Mini Mag HP's are the best.
Only two things make a Ruger miss! Poor ammo or the nut behind the grip.

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: 430man] #83319 02/19/2011 3:47 PM
wtroper Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
" ...nut behind the grip."

That's me. LOL

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: wtroper] #83382 02/20/2011 8:26 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Yep been the nut behind the grip on more than a few occasions.

I have been a range master and on the board of directors of an indoor shooting range since 1990. I have seen, shot and worked on a LOT of Rugers over the years. Back in about 1992 I did a 23 brand and type ammo test with 6 different .22 LR Handguns. At the time I have a couple S&W Model 41's but they were not as accurate from the bench as the Ruger MKII's.

Larry

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: Larry in SD] #83386 02/20/2011 10:24 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Larry
What did you find to be the most accurate across the board ammo?
I know all guns are diffirent but some ammo shoots better than others in a wide variety of guns.Of the cheaper ammo we have tried cci blazers shoot about as well as any. The old lot ww Wildcat was very good!

junebug
Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: junebug] #83426 02/21/2011 3:08 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
I might help a little. Most .22 ammo has gone to pot. Remington used to be great but they changed boolits for production reasons. WW was also great with the high velocity HP's and the Wildcat ammo. But they went to pot too.
The Ruger's work best with HV ammo due to the twist. Right now the CCI Mini Mag HP's are best.
Target ammo does not work in Rugers.
Bulk .22's are OK for plinking but notice how many sound different and how many fail to fire. Federal bulk might be the best.
Some target guns have a twist for target ammo and work best that way. Target ammo is held to closer specs. RWS, etc works great but not in a Ruger.
Your accuracy will be 100% based on the ammo even with the best gun.

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: 430man] #83471 02/21/2011 11:29 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
As 430Man has stated most of the ammo I tested way back then is either no longer produced or is not even close to the same ammo as it was back then.

With that said recently I have had the best results with Wolf Match Target. For some reason it is the only target ammo that shoots worth a hoot in my Ruger and my Super 14 .22 LR Match Contenders shoot it amazingly well.

In my 5 1/2" Barreled MKII Federal AutoMatch also does quite well, but my 4" Bull Barreled MKIII 22/45 hates it. Both actually shoot the Remington BULK Hollow Points the best of all of the bulk hollow points I have tried. However I do get a few misfires from time to time.

I recently had the headspace set on the bolt of my Ruger MKII (also did both of my 10/22's) and it did make a difference with the misfires as I now have about half of what I previousl had. I have also installed a Power Custom Titanium Firing Pin and new Rebound Spring. All of these modifications helped with misfires and eliminating fliers.

Larry

Last edited by Larry in SD; 02/21/2011 11:29 PM.

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: Larry in SD] #131500 04/19/2013 4:04 PM
factionfx Offline
stranger
stranger
Larry, I found this thread in a search for a better trigger for my Mark III 22/45 Lite.

It sounds awesome. I just want to make sure I am getting the correct parts before I order, the ones I have found look to be about $32 plus shipping not the $65 you mentioned. For $35, I am definitely in!

Hammer bushing:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/946649/volquartsen-hammer-bushing-ruger-mark-ii-black

Target Sear:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/380716/...stainless-steel

Thanks very much for your help. Coming from a buckmark I was ver disappointed in the Ruger trigger.

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: wtroper] #131519 04/20/2013 4:19 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: wtroper
I bought the Ruger 22/45. ................

#2 _ If anyone has a solution to the trigger on this pos (I hate a gun with a poor trigger), please share your knowledge. I know that "after market" parts are available for Rugers. Even though I have some Rugers, I am not a Ruger expert. My problem with them is that you have to finish building them when you buy them. I will spend the $$$ if I know what to buy. Thanks for your suggestions.

I sent my 22/45 to Rod (wapitirod) for trigger work and I am completely satisfied.

Couldn't tell you all he did to it; PM him for info.

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: Larry in SD] #131574 04/21/2013 5:44 PM
wtroper Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
i also subsequently sent two Ruger 22/45s to Rod. They came back with what I consider "match grade" triggers.

Re: Ruger 22/45 trigger [Re: wtroper] #131575 04/21/2013 7:57 PM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
I had a Clark trigger installed in my MKI in the late 70's. It is still crisp and light.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod