Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cast bullets from ported barrel ? #17613 12/12/2006 5:00 PM
fanner50 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have just purchased a Taurus 460 Tracker in 45 LC. Does anyone have any experience with shooting hard cast from the ported barrel?

Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: fanner50] #17614 12/13/2006 2:10 AM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have shot a few hundred cast bullets out of my 375 JDJ with ssk break.

It can be done but you have to watch the ports and make sure they do not clog up with lead and lube. it they do clog up and you fire a round the pressure will blow the lead/lube out at high speed and can injure you and other people around. A pipe cleaner that fits in the ports should be taken with you shooing and ran trough with a lead remover about every 10 rounds or so

Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: fanner50] #17615 12/13/2006 4:58 PM
katcher Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Not really the best idea though it can be done. What ever you do...do not oil the ports! This will cause a lot of debris to build up and just not a good thing. There is a spray called "Carters Fouling Preventative and Compensator Spray" that really helps out on my "race" guns...38 Supers with comps...it will cut down on the crud. I think I got it from Dave Dawson's website "http://www.dawsonprecision.com" or you might check on Brownell's website too. Good luck with it...it should be fun!

John

Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: fanner50] #17616 12/13/2006 5:16 PM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I had my S&W mountain gun ported by magnaport and also ported my 44 SBHH and I shoot hard cast thru both with no problems. Just be sure when cleaning to not forget about the ports. I found a small nipple brush at a gun show (one of the military tables) and it works great for cleaning the ports, as do the pipe cleaners. I would imagine if you were shooting excessive amounts of cast you could have a buildup problem, but a hunting handgun is not a "race gun". Just keep up with your cleaning and enjoy!!

Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: hntrjohn] #17617 12/13/2006 9:36 PM
katcher Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Agree with you...not a race gun! Keeping everything clean is the key.

Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: katcher] #17618 01/25/2007 5:53 PM
PCMAN Offline
NOT CAST BUT JACKETED FRAGS FROM THE JACKETS WERE GETTING RIPED OFF AN SHOT OUT THE PORTS

Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: fanner50] #211749 09/02/2022 8:14 AM
Jeff460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Porting through EDM aka Electrical Discharge Machining removes partials electrically and by doing so leave no machining marks or burrs. Just keep them clean but being made through the EDM method there is nothing for lead to cling to and clog the ports. But watch it anyway because soft lead may do so.

Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: fanner50] #211788 09/15/2022 2:23 PM
Memtb460 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

I shoot only cast through my S&W 460 with the factory break! Yesterday, when proving my 100 yard zero for this years hunting…. after 9 rounds, I looked like I’d fallen into a Rose Hedge! Probably hit about 1 out of three shoots fired! The face/cheek can really bleed with a small wound!

I’ve been hit a time or two in the past, but yesterday was bad….very grateful for eye protection!

I don’t think that I have a timing issue. I’m running powder coated bullets, and hope that’s not the cause, as I really like powder coated bullets! For several years I’ve been trying to find a muzzle cap so I can “delete” the break. After yesterday……I’m gonna try much harder!

The “upside”, if you can shoot decent groups through this…..shooting at game will be a “piece of cake”! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

~Molɔ̀ːn Lab? Sk?la~
Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: fanner50] #211792 09/15/2022 4:37 PM
Memtb460 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Tried to edit my previous post……and can’t! This has been ongoing for a little while now……at least for me! 🤬

Here’s a photo of my face from yesterday’s adventure! I should’ve taken the photo before shaving as the spots were more distinct! But, perhaps this will give you an idea! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

~Molɔ̀ːn Lab? Sk?la~
Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: fanner50] #211794 09/17/2022 8:35 PM
Jeff460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The factory 460 S&W muzzle brake is for jacketed bullets only. The muzzle brake for use with cast bullets only seals off the top ports of the muzzle brake that without covering would send hot lead out and back towards you in recoil. So I only use the cast bullet only muzzle brake in my 460V S&W magnum X-frame revolver. It also shoots jacketed and solid copper bullets just fine. And adds a half inch to the length of the revolver by extending the muzzle brake out in front with a single port. Try it and see.

Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: Jeff460] #211796 09/17/2022 11:01 PM
Memtb460 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Jeff, not certain about recent production……but they used to come with two!

With some inspection of the cylinder, I’m seeing some lead smearing at the mouth of one of the cylinder charge holes. Timing appears to be good! It appears that at least one doesn’t properly line with the bore. Not a happy camper if this proves to be true! 🤬

I tried to post a photo…..but, I’m having a multitude of issues with this website! 🤬 memtb

~Molɔ̀ːn Lab? Sk?la~
Re: Cast bullets from ported barrel ? [Re: fanner50] #211800 09/18/2022 9:59 PM
Jeff460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes sir I have two. The jacketed bullet only muzzle brake and the cast bullet use muzzle brake. I use only the cast bullet muzzle brake because it seals the top ports and extends the port out in front of the front sight. Effectively making the 460V a truer five inch barrel and jacketed bullets shoot fine from it. My 460V was worked over by Cylinder and Slide including bead blasting the finish. And TK Custom altered the front of the cylinder to accept their stainless steel moon clips in 45 ACP. Using Starline brass the 460 Rowland, 45 Super and 45 Winchester magnum cartridges all fit the 45 ACP moon clip. I also had installed a Cylinder and Slide extra long firing pin so rimmed cartridges do not need a moon clip spacer for reliability.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod