Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
[quote=s4s4u]
 Quote:
heard of in a handgun

There is that infamous video of the guy shooting a 600 Nitro Encore pistol and it flying over his shoulder from recoil. My heaviest is a 45/70 Contender.

I was told by an authority in the business who builds Encore barrels that the video is NOT a .600 NE; that in fact the Encore platform is not capable of handling that cartridge safely. Also said that video is more likely a black powder cartridge.

EDIT:
I just did some research; the Encore barrel OD is 1.00" and the .600 NE cartridge base OD is .697" which would leave a chamber wall thickness of .1515", seems a bit thin to me; not to mention the .600 NE cartridge rim diameter is .800" which determines the thrust factor back on the frame which is usually the limiting factor for the T/C Encore and Contender frames.

But then I am not a gunsmith or an engineer; just going by what I see. And that is not to say that somebody wouldn't actually make one...and shoot it...maybe with black powder...

Who knows?
I am an engineer, which might be why I don't have one or want one, but I am willing to watch while someone else shoots one.