well, here goes, i don't feel the 475 does anything significantly better than my 454 depending on loads used. in my hands it is a fairly redundant caliber though a great one. there's a dogma around here that many don't question b/c they just don't wanna argue. you have to buck the dogma around here and talk about velocity, which despite what ya try and push, is important. may not be the most important thing, but it is a significant factor in all of this.

listen, the conventional wisdom is that a 45 colt is better for the handloader b/c it can be pushed to the same velocities as the 44 mag but with a larger bullet, fair enough, and that is correct, still don't think ya see a diff but whatever. but if VELOCITY didn't matter the standard pressure 45 colt rounds at about 800fps would be superior to full pressure 44 mag rounds but they clearly are not. the velocity matters as long as the bullet holds together and maintains it's integrity.

so ya got the issue of bigger versus faster, and then ya got bigger AND faster. in big bullets the 475 can be loaded be both bigger and faster but it's not shootable in any way to me so i don't care what it could be loaded to the same way i don't load 400 gr bullets to 1600fps in the 454 either. in standard factory loads i've never seen a significant difference in any way and if i did i'd have a house full of 475's, but then again, if i continued on that thinking i'd be jumping up to a 500 WE or 500 jrh, which would inevitably lead me to only want a 500 smith. so.........eventually ya ask what's enough? well if it kills an elephant then it sure as hell's enough for an elk or anything we all hunt on a regular basis.

this is not to bash anyone's favorite caliber but just to shed some light on my motives on what i shoot. it's about having the flattest trajectory in a normal size wheel gun i can, in a caliber i can kill any game on planet earth with. this is what i've come up with after shooting damn near as many 1000+ lb animals as anyone here but having no "friendships" with any gunsmiths or caliber inventors.