Thanks for the input guys. Wap, you comment about hunting with a hammer hit close to home. My first deer of the season last year was with a hammer. From another forum:
Today was the first day of open season in Georgia, and I'm in the middle of processing a carcass. But not great day. I had to work this morning, and pulling out of the quarry and heading up the 4 lane, I see a dead deer in the median. Not an uncommon site 'round here. As I go past, I see the head move. Man, I hate that. I went about a half mile further before I turned around and went back. Understand, I'm in a concrete mixer with a load and a customer waiting on that load. It is not the time to do errands. But I go back and she is sitting there, kinda licking her front leg. She gets up as I approch but cant stand straight. She is listing 15degrees. Her toung is hanging out. She is not well. She tried to back away from me but couldn't. It was more brain damage than skeletal. Not good, she wasn't going to live thru the day. I hate it. I couldn't shoot her, so I got my first deer of the season with an Estwing.
For those of you unfamiler:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ABTestAvl=true
Crude, but effective. I went to the pour and after I cleaned my truck and chutes, I field dressed the deer. A mixer truck is a great thing to bring hunting. I tied loops to her front legs, hooked them on the chute, used the truck hydrolics to lift her up just where I needed her. Even had a water hose to clean her and me up.
not real sporting.
Hope I can get one the right way in the morning.

Well, it was a few weeks later, but I did get one with the .270.