In a nutshell how much more velocity & energy could be mustered out of a 10" .357 MAX? It would seem a simple conversion to have your barrel rechambered if it would provide better ballistics and peace of mind.

Then again I have a book in my possession by the late Bob Milek entitled Handgun Hunting Across America. On the chapter on Elk the late Bob Milek and the late Steve Herrett are up on the Salmon River in Idaho hunting Elk with 10" T/C Contenders Chambered for the .357 Herrett. If memory serves me correctly (I'd have to go re-read the article to be sure) they were shooting a .357 Speer 140gr. Jacketed Hollow Point at something like 2000 FPS. In regards to Milek's Bull Elk he had to shoot it numerous times and finally realized that he was not penetrating the shoulder. The folowing shot (at much greater range than he said he should have been shooting at) he put behind the shoulder and the Bull collapsed.

Again I'd have to go read the article again to be sure of the velocity, Energy and range but the point is he was shooting a Jacketed Hollow Point meant for a .357 Magnum, and not a hard cast bullet that at least in theory should provide for much greater penetration.

The bottom line is if it is legal, if your on can restrict himself to a certain range (pre determined) and put the bullet in the right place I am sure you'll be eating Elk.

But then what do I know, I have never hunted Elk, and never shot a .357 Magnum Contender.

Good luck on the hunt to your son regardless of what he chooses to hunt with.

Larry

Last edited by Larry in SD; 06/09/2012 4:59 AM.

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !