I am considering the .44 magnum and the only reason I have not started up some loads for him to shoot is that I do not have one at this point other than a Desert Eagle. So before I purchase a contender barrel I really want to think this through.

Years ago I loaded and shot a lot of cast bullets through a couple of Redhawks, but those were all hotter loads. So I have some experience there and I know I could work up some medium range loads that you guys are talking about.

That said, if I were to go with a 275 or 300 grain hard cast I could push it at 1100 fps and meet the Kentucky requirement of 550 ft/lbs at 100 yards. I know that velocity is not the be-all-end-all factor and that weight and diameter are strong considerations in the equation - but again I have to meet the standard so I have to look at velocity.

I could obviously push faster than 1100 fps but then I am concerned its going to bite him pretty good (I could be wrong about that because I have never shot a contender in .44 mag myself). What do you guys think - at 1100 fps in the .44 am I really gaining over the 180 grain bullet in the .357 at 1800? Secondly, if I push the .44 hard cast faster will it result in some level of recoil he might not be able to handle.

In reality, the only way I can answer that is to try it, but I wanted to know some more about what you guys thought before I invest in another barrel, and possibly another scope.

Thanks again for all of the input, it is much appreciated.

Post Tenabras Lux