My first impression of Gregg Richter's Video "Handgunning Mule Deer and Pronghorn Antelope" was honestly one of question. It wasn’t what I was expecting out of your typical hunting video/show. What Mr. Gregg did was set the tone of his entire video by just being himself. The roots of and humble origin of the video speak for itself; he was out spending time with his family making memories. Something every parent looks forward to, just as I do with my three boys and their lovely mother…

From the hunting shows we usually watch we acclimate ourselves to “Hollywood” movie productions or a Lo-o-o-ot of filler and off topic side comedy/publicity. That isn’t something you will see with Mr. Gregg's video. When you watch the video for the first time you are going to say to yourself, “Is that it?” “Really?” Then you are going to go back and realize that you just watched all 10 hunting clips! Instead of drawing out every hunt and making two hunts last 30 minutes like they do on your average hunt on TV, Gregg cut all the filler and showed you the highlights of the hunts! And he has fun doing it in his own style…

What impressed me as much as anything was the products that he endorsed. Every publication is going to have to have them. Just look at our current topic on “Boar Hunter Magazine” or look at the top of your screen here and you will see them as well. But Mr. Gregg doesn’t endorse a single product he doesn’t/didn’t actually use in his daily hunting extravaganzas. Every single product he suggested or recommended can be found in his pictures here on Handgun Hunter in the Bragging Board. That speaks volumes to me for his merit and principles.

You can watch the video and be critical of it. It is VERY easy to do. “He is reading cue cards,” “That picture is of the 6.5 JDJ Contender and not his Son’s 308 Encore,” are some of the comments that could be said after viewing the video. Having been in the recording industry professionally in the Navy Band both audibly and visually, I know how easy it is to make a fool of yourself. IMHO, Mr. Gregg did an outstanding job utilizing his available resources and seat-of-the-pants production; he did the whole video by himself, without any formal "Video Creation/Production Education.".

What is also included in the film, that we don’t see in hunting shows, without endorsing products, is a fairly lengthy discussion of handgun hunting history and a discussion of the types of handguns available. The presentation that is done is first class. Comprehendible by a novice; yet respectable enough for the salty handgunner. But it is the presentation itself again that impressed me. EG, Instead of saying “I” did this and “I” did that it was “this was presented” and “with the help of.”

This video is just a reflection of the type of work that Mr. Gregg has been doing to promote handgun hunting for quite some time. It is no doubt that this culmination of work helped with his selection as one of the "World’s most recognized and accomplished handgun hunters" by SCI Magazine. I have to say that I can’t wait to see the next production… LOL

Take care and thanks for reading!

TCTex

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin