JWP,

And your post is exactly what we need in thread like this, all of the facts to help folks make a decision for themselves. I actually checked the instruction manual for a couple of other hand guns I own and both state specifically not to load the gun until shooting is imminent. If I were to follow the rules to the letter, I would not be able to carry a gun for self-defense ;^) So we all violate the manuals, but pretty much have to agree the manual should just be a starting point for the decision.

Gregg, you have probably surmised that I do carry mine with 5 in the holes, sometimes. My gun is carried in a SD Myers custom holster that fits the gun so snug, the cylinder cannot rotate. and it has a thumb break that holds the hammer tight. But, I also hunt alone and try to exercise common sense. And, I am not opposed to changing my carry to accomodate the situation. That is what I was trying to say about an active process. I hunt with my leveractions with the the chamber loaded, in half cock. But if not alone, I adjust and at times will empty the chamber. If on a narrow trail with others, not in the front, shuck out the shell.

Gary, I actually had my FA 83 for quite a while before I figured out how it actually works. I felt really dumb for that, and I had read the instruction manual. But I had not really taken the time to understand. I'll admit to being guilty of skimming over the safety section, just as I do with a lot of pistols. I found quite a few threads on various forum about how to safely carry a 83, but none were as reasonable as we are here. I agree 100%, the FA manual says 4, period. To not do so one had better understand and be responsible about it. Even if you shoot your own bloody leg off...

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred