So the morning broke nice and "cool" today - evening storms had cooled it down to the mid 70's overnight, but had fed the mosquitoes that were a bit parched from the lack of regular rain. I snuck into the stand, expecting the hogs to be present in the breaking light, but no participation from the swine...

The first couple of hours were slow - besides a water-soaked possum, the area was vacant of mammals...I did happen to see a hummingbird light on a nearby limb to preen and stretch. Wish I had my big camera with me!

So after having promised to take some Glamour Shots of my 8 3/8" 686 in action this weekend, I knew I needed to have an iPhone model session for the gun...I had the Linebaugh on the hip as well, but the Smith was the primary for the hunt today. Topped with a 2x Leupold and grouping well under an inch at 50 with factory 158gr JSP's, it was up to the task. Question was, how about the shooter?

This one's for you, KRal and Darrell H...

I had nearly written off the AM and was starting to think about biscuits, coffee, and nap time when a dark shape drifted into the opening in front of me. Hog!

Power quad muffs slid into place, I rested the Smith across the sandbag, acquired the boar in the Leupy, and thumbed the hammer back. The crosshairs settled in just below and behind the ear (or where the ear should be in his case as he was missing his left one altogether - no flap, ear canal, nothing). Squeeze, squeeze...remind me to get this trigger worked on, squeeze - booom, thwack!

The 158 gr JSP planted him right there - good tusks on this size hog, but he was extremely lean...unhealthily so, in fact. He weighed just over 90 lbs, but his frame should have normally carried closer to 150.

I think this Smith is a keeper!