Well personaly why i use very big bullets so i make a very large hole that bleeds like a stuck pig if possibe and i try and make sure the animal is within range of my blackhawk that with the magnum level 300 xtp i hit it with goes through the heart and both lungs if possible.Shot placement is critical in handgun hunting to me, but i have lost a few not many.I agree mark the blood trail and look for torn up soil and vegetation if i do not hear it crash i wait a few hours to go in most times they will just lie down , but whitetails in ohio tear heck out of the brush when running after hit i look for torn up soil and torn foilage they will appear like magic laying on their side with that gorgeous white belly = dead lol.Blood trails have petered out most times that means they have laid down to die back out quietly and come back in a few hours i say . it dont have that big crash it never fell down hard.And here in Ohio we can only use straight walled cartridges in handguns no bottle necks allowed.= game warden then jail here.

Last edited by Damian45acp; 08/04/2012 6:29 PM.