Ok, I have a young hunter, who wants to handgun a deer this season. She's not quite comfortable yet shooting full bore 44mags, and a little unsteady holding my full size super blackhawk hunter. She does however, hold and shoot my standard super blackhawk that was cut down to a 4 1/2" bbl pretty well. I dont have a 357 personally, but she's been offered one to borrow for the season. Either way, it will be equipped with a red dot to help her with the aim, and she will limited to whatever range she can be accurate at, whether its 30 yds or 75 yds. Anyway, on to the debate, strictly based on experienced results, which one performs better on game? I am quite new to handgun hunting myself and want to give my daughter every advantage I can with caliber choice. I know both have been used to take deer at reasonable distance, but is the slower wider 44 going to give a little more "margin for error" than the smaller faster 357? I understand, shot placement is everything, but I want her to be successful and not have to worry about "not enough gun". The 44spl and the 357 are my only 2 choices right now, due to budget restrictions from mama! Lol. Yall dont flame me too bad about the 44 being a lil girls gun, or how a single shot 223 would be what she needs to start with. So let the opinions flow! I've looked at ballistic charts till I wanna puke. I want some real world info, and will post pics of my kids first handgun deer hopefully in a couple months. Thanks in advance yall, and God bless.