Just saw your question on the 180 XTP. I hope others have more experience with that load and bullet. It would not be my first choice, but maybe someone else can answer that one. Buffalo Bore does I believe sell a factory loaded Keith type lead bullet in the 44 Special that is advertised at 1000 fps.

If you want less recoil a 250 gr. Keith bullet does not need to go that fast to completely penetrate a white tail deer. I would not hesitate to use that bullet going in the 850 range.

For jacketed ammo the only experience I have with the 44 Special is with a Speer Gold Dot (or Deep Curl..same bullet). I used the 210 grain bullet to take a deer last year at 30 yards. Had complete penetration and EXCELLENT performance.

Edit: I just saw this bullet/load available.
http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=GC44SP260

I think If I was going to use a factory load for deer in a 44 Special, THIS is the one I would go for. A 260 gr. WFN bullet going 950 fps is going to be mild on recoil and would take any deer that walks.

Dan

Last edited by Muddy; 08/21/2012 6:01 PM.