Hunter,

I am not sure exactly what Reflex means as it relates to the Glock, but in a 1911 there are things that need to be done to the gun to really do a proper conversion. This assumes you are using a proper conversion unit.

As to the bullets, I can tell you that while 250 may not technically be the max weight, once you go beyond 230 grain ACP bullets, you are using what are essentially 45 Colt or 454 casull bullets usually sized at .452. As such there become limitations as to what your gun/chamber can take as they relate to pressure and seating of the bullets.

As to what will work, it is really hard to find a lot of "results" by folks with the heavier bullets when you search by Rowland. As such, you basically need to see how the folks are doing running medium warm 45 Colt loads. 250's at 1000-1100 fps and similar. Most Rowland users seem to like the 230 XTP, and you can usually find more info out on how this bullet is working.

You have to be very selective on the bullet choice, because the Rowland runs way faster than an ACP, but way slower than a 454 Casull. So may of the bullets like the Hornady line of XTP's may or may not work as designed. Their Mag line in XTP's do not open as dramatically as there non-magnum line (i.e. 250 XTP v. 240 XTP mag).

I do not have any real world animal results with my Rowland, as I am only getting serious this year with hunting with mine. I have wet print tested a lot of bullets, so I can give you some paper ideas (I know hate on me ;)). And keeping in mind that there is a difference between hunting with a bullet, and perhaps having one for defense.

In the cast, all of the usual suspect 45 Colt bullets make big deep holes. These are the hard cast 250-255 typical swc to lbt type bullets. Lots of meplat. beartooth has a 225 TC hardcast that has a slightly smaller meplat, but it penetrates a lot further than the XTPs in print. You can find a lot of info on results from folks using these type of bullets. I have found that the 230, 240 Mag and 250 non-mag seem to penetrate to similar depths in paper, the difference being some jacket separation with the 230 and 250, where as the 240 mag is a little smaller in size but no separation.

I have never hunted a hog, but based on my testing and looking at pictures of their shoulder areas, I think I would tend to the hard cast heavier weights. If I were hunting with an XTP type bullet, I think I would be very picky about shots, and try and avoid skeletal structure of any critter. Beyond that, you start to get into the old cast v. jacket discussions. I do feel very confident that with a proper jacketed bullet, a broadside shot on any 4 legged critter (perhaps this side of moose or serious sized bear) will reach the heart lungs as long as you can avoid big bones.

This window of handgun hunting (1911's and Glocks) is pretty narrow, so you really have to scour for info, and you will probably have to be a good handloader, and bullet tester. Folks like to say the Rowland is similar to a 44 mag. It is on paper, at the low end of the 44 mag. A more realistic thought approach is that the Rowland is more like the 10mm.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred