Just to stir things up a little, I am working with a 45 Super pressing it to low Rowland range on my 1911. I have a ton of experience with this, and my barrel is Clark compensated on a gun set up for the Rowland. The gun has been modified extensively, my chamber has more case head support than all of my Rowlands, and I have tested the Starline 45 Super brass for this type of experimenting.

The "stink" is right now I am testing the Barnes 185 Tax-Xpb bullet. Is is way lighter than I typically like, but I have had so much good experience with Barnes in rifle bullets which are also usually light for caliber. I have already left the 10mm and 45+p in the rear window. An interesting thing I am seeing is that the comp really seems to be coming into its own with the lighter bullet. I have worked with 250's and 230's in the Rowland and Super, and granted heavier bullets will recoil more, but these 185's are extremely easy to shoot.

Barnes told me there is no upper end to velocity with this bullet, so I obviously need to do some testing on this part of it, but I am finding my results interesting to say the least.

And as these are sized .451 I am not seeing the pressure issues using .452 jacketed Colt 45 bullets. With the .452 jacketed bullets, I am definately seeing what look to be limitations with the throat/leade of the Rowland and Super barrels that I have tested in my 1911's.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred