To update,

It looks like 1375ish is about my top end with the Barnes 185. I can get the Nosler 230 FMJFP and the 230 XTP up to 1200 safely in my gun. Again, my gun is a 1911, set up for the Rowland and I am using a compensated barrel.

The interesting thing is I did some extreme penetration testing, in dry pack paper. This is usually considered pretty hard on bullets. The FMJFP managed to get through about 6 inches, and was behind the pack, at the base of the tree. Not a fmj pencil type hole in the paper at all. The XTP did not make it through the paper, and the core and jacket had separated. The 185 Barnes cut an extremely wide hole through the paper, and went into the tree. I had a ton of confetti to pick up, as the Barnes acted just like a very large hole punch, cutting a wide reverse cone shape all the way through and on into the tree. I have done a fair amount of wet and dry bullet testing over the years, and I definately had "wow, that is very interesting" moment. Hey Reflex, wanna loan me your Bufallo
;\)

I now need to see how my poa/poi looks for the various loads.

Craig

Edit: never mentioned that I am doing this testing for a reason other than being a speed freak or abuser of fine arms. In Colorado you need 550 fpe @ 50 yards to be legal. With 230 grain bullets, this is in the 1100 fps range (min) and 1300 fps for the 185's.

Last edited by Bearbait in NM; 10/17/2012 5:21 PM.

Northern born and Southern bred