Again it largely depends on what you are wanting to do with the Barrel(s) you get. That in itself is the beauty of the Contender in that the next cartridge / caliber is only a barrel away.

I can not comment on the heavy recoiling numbers for the Contender as I have never felt the need to punish myself more than a .30-30 AI can dish out (probably due to the fact that I have never hunted anything larger than Whitetail Deer either). I do know that I have a dislike for Muzzle Brakes as I tested a T/C 14" Hunter Barrel chambered in .30-30 Winchester one time. Yes the T/C Muzzle Tamer really reduced the recoil but there was so much blast coming off of that brake I about had to tie my hat on my head to keep it there.

As for carrying a Contender I use a sling exclusively as my Contenders generally have a Harris BR Model Bipod attached to the forend. I am currently using a Contender Carbine Rynite Forend that I had my local gunsmith modify for me to use it on Super 14 Barrels. What my local gunsmith did was to glass bed a Pachmayr Forend Adaptor (hanger bar) into the Contender Carbine Forend. I then attach the Bipod and Sling to a Sling Swivel Stud in the Forend.

Good luck with your quest.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !