Originally Posted By: archr610
Rod,
Thanks. I'll be getting to Cabelas soon on an ammo run so I'll pick up some new .17's and see what happens.

s4s4u,
Here's the spec's from DT.
Caliber : .45-70 Government
Bullet : 400gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check
Ballistics : 1810fps - 2914 ft./lbs. - 22.0" bbl. Marlin

Since I don't reload yet can either of you recommend a commercial hunting load in .45-70. I'm partial to the theory behind hardcast. In one side out the other.

Jeff

sorry I didn't respond sooner. Actually those numbers aren't too bad and would be the top end of what I would run in the Contender. If your not running hundreds of them through and with the G2 frame you should be fine. I was concerned you may be running the super heavy stuff like I'm running in my Marlins where I'm running 430gr Trueshots at 2150 out of a 22" barrel and although I need to recheck the numbers my 24" showed 2400fps. Those kind of loads are destructive to Contenders although I ran a similiar load with the old 440 CP through a G2 a few years back. The thing is if you sight in and only shoot at animals or a shot or two to confirm zero you'll be fine. That's the great thing about the T/C platform is you can switch to a 22 barrel and still have the same trigger pull and characteristics so you don't have to abuse yourself or your gun with heavy cartridges and loads.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist