I think for the most part that we tend to underestimate the killing ability of smaller rounds. I follow along the line of bigger is better but not always necessary. I would have no problems hunting deer with a 357. In fact I probably would have had more handgun hunting success earlier in life If I would have started hunting with a .357 mag. It took me a long time working through flinching to expect to hit anything past 25 yards. At the same time I had a 357 that had routinely taken coyotes at 50-75 yards but I never hunted with it because I was always told 41-44 were the minimum for deer. It took me a long time to make that step up from a 357 to a 44 mag. I think largely because I was doing most of my shooting standing between partitions at an indoor range. The blast was horrible and paying by the hour had me basically shooting too much too fast trying to maximize my shooting practice while keeping my lane rental down. If I only had the confidence to hunt with the 357 I believe it would have performed fine. I have been surprised by the 10mm and they are a lot alike. If the 357 maximum is good to 200 yards 100 yards with the 357 should be fine.