CCW is probably Conceal Carry Weapon. Sometimes you see CCP (permit) or CWL.

I looked back thru this thread and saw I didn't post. I guess why is that I'm not sure what got me into handgun shooting. I come from a very non-gun family, but I'm and odd duck anyway. I prefer stick shifts, I heat my home with wood. It just always appealed to me. Like others said, shooting a deer on a crop line at 500 yards is commendable, but I consider it more 'precision shooting' than hunting.
And bows just don't do it for me. I've a lot of respect for ethical bow hunters. Iron sited handguns is just my happy place.
I took both my long gun (winn '94) and wheely (sw/ 29) on my first few hunts. First deer I shot at I used the wheelgun and missed her. 5 times I missed her. All the rub / newbie goofs. My first deer was with rifle at 23 yards, and I've not taken a long gun into the woods since, other than sometimes a .22mag Henry when I go a-squirreling.
In fact, all my long guns are just excuses to have a long platform for a handgun round. (.22 lr & mag, .357, .44m and a .45acp on order)

db

Last edited by dogsbreath; 03/12/2014 2:42 PM.