Originally Posted By: Oscar
In your experience, how light can the 44 mag be loaded and still be an effective and ethical deer hunting cartridge? I would love to hear real life examples. Thanks!

Last guy to the party but can't resist sharing:
My largest animal with a .44 Special was a 750 pound water buffalo cow estimated live weight, 305 lbs of meat with no fillers. 240 grain cast SWC bullet, 11.5 grains Blue Dot, 1100 fps from 4 inch S&W 24. Behind the shoulder full penetration first shot, second shot behind opposite shoulder and stopped under the skin. I apologized to my guide for taking two shots. He said I could come back anytime with any handgun I wanted to pack. Cast bullets don't seem to drop double lung shot animals right there, but they are still dead near by. For the 44 Magnum, 10 grains of Unique and a 240 grain bullet does the job, for 1000 fps but the improved Unique (showing my age) is fine at 9 grains, being cleaner and faster. Factory Buffalo Bore 44 Special, 255 grain at 1000 fps, is everything a 44 Special needs to be at 100 yards or less, 6" PBR, still 930 fps. If this sounds too slow, the 246 grain Remington round nose lead factory load at less than 750 fps penetrates and kills, but the Buffalo Bore load is just "more better".