I've had the itch for several years to use a semi auto for hunting, I just haven't really got the chance to do much hunting in the past few years. I've got basically two options, one is a Glock 35 with KKM 6" barrel that will toss a 180gr JHP to over 1350 or a 200gr XTP over 1250, or the G21 using .45 Super, both using handloads.

Recently worked up some 255gr SWC in the Super that from the 5" barrel averaged right around 1100 fps, or with the warmer loads (compensator needed!) I can run a 250gr XTP to 1300 fps, the BTB 255gr WFN does well too.

I would venture a guess that for many, hunting with a semi auto (let alone a "plastic fantastic"!) just doesn't have the mystique that hunting with a wheel gun has, but that's just an guess. I also think it's harder for many to shoot accurately with some semi auto types than with a revolver. I certainly think the bigger bore wheel guns work a better especially with larger game, but for most deer and moderate sized hogs I think the semi autos do just fine.

BFR 454 - SRH Toklat 454 - SBHH .41 Mag - BH .41 Mag