Hey all, I'm Bob. I've been hunting for about 35 years on and off, mostly on since about 1995. Until thi year I've been using modern archery tackle, high powered rifles, shotguns and modern muzzle loaders. I decided to get into handgun hunting this year and have picked up a vintage Smith and Wesson M57 no dash 41 mag with 6 inch barrel. I've decided to only use open sights for now since I dint want to drill and tap the M57. I mostly hunt in Virginia, but have been known to travel out of state on occasion.
I've yet to take a trophy animal and I like to say thats because I hunt for meat, not trophies. Truth is I haven't had a trophy animal in my sights. There have been a few years that I had decided to only shoot trophy animals and had an empty freezer, with the exception of small game after hunting season. Thats a lot of money spent on ammo for practice with no return on investment. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy hunting even if I don't see anything or get a shot off. Just being in the woods is all the threapy I need.
This year I plan on only hunting with a handgun during gun season. All I have left to do is pickup some .41 dies and bullets for reloading. I think thats the only way I can afford to practice enough to become proficient with the revolver. I didn't know how much different a revolver is from a pistol. I'm hoping to be able to keep my rounds within 6 inches at 50. Hopefully that is good enough. I've yet had to track more than 20 yds or use more than 1 shot to drop an animal, with the exception of a russian boar that I took with my 1911 (I'll never try that again). It took 13 rounds and it fell 6 feet from me, I almost needed new underwear....
Well I hope to gain a lot of knowledge from y'all in order to hone my revolver skills.